Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 06:58 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,524 times

Advertisements

I don't feel proud. It's just part of who I am. I'm just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 09:09 PM

13 posts, read 20,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I can totally see that. I think that I may feel differently about it because I was never religious. I don't remember there ever being a time that I REALLY believed in God. I mean - sure, there were times when I "prayed" or made deals with God - but I don't think it was because I had faith - it was more an act of desperation! Like - when I would try to maked a deal with God saying that if I got an A in a certain class- then I would believe he existed!!! But I really don't think I ever believed in God - and I certainly was never religious. So I think that gives me a different perspective on it than someone who used to be religious or was raised with religion.
It was the same way with me. We never discussed or practiced religion in my family although we called ourselves "Christian". I remember praying for luck catching a fish when I was 10 and knowing how insincere it was. I promised god that I'd start believing and going to church! I ended up catching a fish but it didn't make me any more of a believer (or at all). Oops, I didn't live up to my promise!

I wouldn't say that I am proud of being Atheist. I do, however, ENJOY being Atheist.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCactus View Post
It was the same way with me. We never discussed or practiced religion in my family although we called ourselves "Christian". I remember praying for luck catching a fish when I was 10 and knowing how insincere it was. I promised god that I'd start believing and going to church! I ended up catching a fish but it didn't make me any more of a believer (or at all). Oops, I didn't live up to my promise!
That's exactly the type of thing I used to do, too!!!

Old 07-09-2010, 09:50 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
I don't really feel any pride about believing something or not believing something. I do find myself wondering why highly intelligent people ARE believers in the gods provided by traditional religions.

I find it imposssible to comprehend how people cannot see the malevolence of the God of the ancient Hebrews. I find it impossible that people actually believe in stupid stories like the Tower of Babel story. The idea that the creator of the universe has a "chosen people" seems preposterous to me.

I could go on and on but I need to go hammer an awl through my slave's ear into the door like God instructed us in the Old Testament (Deut. 15:17). I need to make sure he is my servant for life.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:08 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
I feel more frustrated than anything. It's a hell of a thing to be an atheist in a sea of people who don't make a lick of sense to me.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:15 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
right sharpie1234, I'm glad/ sort of proud of the fact that I am able to think rationally ..that I DARE think rationally..because I imagine everyone's got the ability but some dare not venture there! but it's not something to brag about...not something, like I said earlier, that I would rub in other people's faces

Old 07-10-2010, 01:17 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
I agree eddie gein...these people who are so smart..how can they still believe in gods/fairy tales and creatures that were invented? makes no sense to still cling on to imaginary beings....not when you've got such a great mind, when you can do brain surgery with your eyes closed, like some can..

Old 07-10-2010, 09:55 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
right sharpie1234, I'm glad/ sort of proud of the fact that I am able to think rationally ..that I DARE think rationally..because I imagine everyone's got the ability but some dare not venture there! but it's not something to brag about...not something, like I said earlier, that I would rub in other people's faces
See, you're a trouble maker, how dare you behave so,

Old 07-10-2010, 02:41 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,776 times
I'm proud that I had the courage and took the time to find out what is really going on. I dumped belief in the supernatural 20 years ago and I have never been sorry and have never seen a scrap of evidence that would make me question my decision. I know more about Christianity now than I ever did as a Christian. Once the religion is studied in depth and objectively, it falls completely apart, everything is an illusion, a cruel hoax. People embrace religion and belief in gods because they cannot come to grips with their immortality. This breeds laziness and complacency, not to mention those individuals who are irresponsibly counting on the RAPTURE to bail them out of their miserable lives, instead of being proactive and forging their own destiny.

Yes, I am very proud to be an atheist.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:56 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHeart View Post
Is there a possibility you are wrong?
Ah, Pascal's Wager. One thing I learned on the many times I served on jury duty was exactly what reasonable doubt is. Yes, there is the possibility of anything, including that the earth was created by Nine-Headed Invisible Ice Gods that live on the dark side of the former planet Pluto (yes, they are pissed about the insult and we will pay dearly), but is this a reasonable possibility?

Here is the debunking of your question. Since there is zero evidence of existence for your god or any other of the thousands of gods that man has elevated since he learned to think, we can project an infinite number of unevidenced gods. Mathematically, the odds of you believing in the correct god approaches the limit of zero, the same odds of believing in the Christian god, the Islam god, or NO GOD AT ALL. You are an atheist too, I just believe in one less god than you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism