Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:42 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,354,785 times

Advertisements

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always." Mahatma Gandhi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 06:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus Quotes

To me, this sums it up and no amount of double-speak and tap-dancing will change it.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:33 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,305 times
I always enjoy Epicurus! I also like a Mark Twain quote that didn't make the list:

"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"

Old 08-08-2010, 11:24 AM

“The fundamental doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church is the doctrine of its own semi-divinity.”

Karl Barth’s
(May 10, 1886(1886-05-10) – December 10, 1968)

Old 08-08-2010, 07:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,524,911 times
Atheism is a religion like off is a TV channel.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:43 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,807,239 times

YouTube - ‪Funny Atheist Quotes‬‎

Old 08-15-2010, 07:24 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,737,655 times
My favorite is by Mark Twain, though I'm still a little unclear as to whether the entire quote contains only his words, as the story from which this came was published after his death by an acquaintance, and supposedly some of the story was altered by that man. Still, it's a great paragraph:

Quote:
Strange, indeed, that you should not have suspected that your universe and its contents were only dreams, visions, fiction! Strange, because they are so frankly and hysterically insane - like all dreams: a God who could make good children as easily as bad, yet preferred to make bad ones; who could have made every one of them happy, yet never made a single happy one; who made them prize their bitter life, yet stingily cut it short; who gave his angels eternal happiness unearned, yet required his other children to earn it; who gave his angels painless lives, yet cursed his other children with biting miseries and maladies of mind and body; who mouths justice and invented hell - mouths mercy and invented hell - mouths Golden Rules, and forgiveness multiplied by seventy times seven, and invented hell; who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man's acts upon man, instead of honorably placing it where it belongs, upon himself; and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him!" . . .

Old 08-15-2010, 09:51 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus Quotes

To me, this sums it up and no amount of double-speak and tap-dancing will change it.

Fear I'll change it, eh? Fear God...

Old 09-15-2010, 04:26 PM

"The Church has opposed every innovation and discovery from the day of Galileo down to our own time, when the use of anesthetics in childbirth was regarded as a sin because it avoided the biblical curse pronounced against Eve. And every step in astronomy and geology ever taken has been opposed by bigotry and superstition. The Greeks surpassed us in artistic culture and in architecture five hundred years before Christian religion was born." Mark Twain ("Biography")

Old 09-15-2010, 09:02 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,794 times
"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers." - Carl Sagan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism