Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 02:43 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

" I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours"
-Stephan Roberts

"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend"
-Richard Jenni

"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer"
-Unknown

"The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike"
-Delos B. McKnown

"If the Bible is mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust it to tell us where we're going?"
-Justin Brown

"The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail"
-Gustaf Lindborg

Found on http://www.chrisbeach.co.uk/viewQuotes.php

Share your favorite quotes that you found or made up

Last edited by iNviNciBL3; 03-07-2012 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 PM

164 posts, read 838,442 times
"God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?" pretty much my all-time favorite..... I use it all the time

"Why can't God do something for once rather than just working 'in mysterious ways'?"

Old 03-07-2012, 07:03 PM

164 posts, read 838,442 times
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that
looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature." - Carl Sagan

Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineF View Post
"God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?" pretty much my all-time favorite..... I use it all the time
Lol this reminds me of a funny Ricky Gervais interview
"If there was a god, why would he make me a atheist?"

Ricky Gervais on Atheism - YouTube

Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 PM

254 posts, read 202,600 times
"People are frightened of death, and the central lie of all religion is that there’s a cure for this and an exception we’ve made in your own case: an eternal life offered if you make the right propitiations and the right abjections. Well, I’m sorry. I think that it's the height of immorality to lie to people like that. That’s why [religion] survives." - Christopher Hitchens
"Take any country that has laws against hate crimes, inspiring hatred and genocide and so on. The first thing they would do is ban the Old Testament. There's nothing like it in the literary canon that exalts genocide, to that extent. And it's not a joke either. Like where I live, New England, the people who liberated it from the native scourge were religious fundamentalist lunatics, who came waving the holy book, declaring themselves to be the children of Israel who are killing the Amalekites, like God told them."- Noam Chomsky

Old 03-07-2012, 08:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. – Gene Roddenberry

To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today. - Isaac Asimov

A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism. - Carl Sagan

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Old 03-09-2012, 02:58 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
“Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.”
–Thomas Jefferson

“Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own?”
– Robert G. Ingersoll

“An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support.”
– John Buchan

“Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated.”
– Ulysses S. Grant (I've always rather liked Sam Grant. Though I'd say get it and keep it out of the schools, too. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism