Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:32 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times

Advertisements

I have often thought that the God of the Christians was abusive. I found this discussion on a blog and thought it would provoke some comments here:

Forum Discussion: God as an Abusive Father

Imagine a father telling his children this:

"You are bad. You are so bad that you should be sent far away to a place where you don't get to be around your nice Daddy who loves you. You deserve to be tortured until the end of time, and to be miserable.

"But Daddy is nice. I'm so nice that I'll give you a 'free gift.' I won't let you be tortured by strangers. Remember: You don't deserve to be happy, so I'm a wonderful father to do this for you.

"Daddy had to pay to give you this gift, though. Because you broke Daddy's rules, Daddy was whipped, and beaten. You caused Daddy's pain.

"Daddy won't make you pay for the gift, though. Isn't Daddy generous? In order to give you this gift that you don't deserve in any way, Daddy needs you to do some things.

"Daddy needs you to say that he is better than you in every imaginable way. You have to admit that you are horrible and that you deserve to be tortured.

"You have to follow all of my rules. Oh, I know you'll break them. You're a bad person. But every time you break them, you need to be miserable and beg for my forgiveness. You cannot question my rules, because I'm such a better person than you. I'm only doing this because I love you so much.

Dorothy

Old 08-07-2010, 03:42 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,035 times
I made a somewhat similar post a while back:

//www.city-data.com/forum/13209779-post11.html

IMO, it IS abusive.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:56 PM

454 posts, read 498,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I have often thought that the God of the Christians was abusive. I found this discussion on a blog and thought it would provoke some comments here:

"You are bad. You are so bad that you should be sent far away to a place where you don't get to be around your nice Daddy who loves you. You deserve to be tortured until the end of time, and to be miserable.

"But Daddy is nice. I'm so nice that I'll give you a 'free gift.' I won't let you be tortured by strangers. Remember: You don't deserve to be happy, so I'm a wonderful father to do this for you.

"Daddy had to pay to give you this gift, though. Because you broke Daddy's rules, Daddy was whipped, and beaten. You caused Daddy's pain.

"Daddy won't make you pay for the gift, though. Isn't Daddy generous? In order to give you this gift that you don't deserve in any way, Daddy needs you to do some things.

"Daddy needs you to say that he is better than you in every imaginable way. You have to admit that you are horrible and that you deserve to be tortured.

"You have to follow all of my rules. Oh, I know you'll break them. You're a bad person. But every time you break them, you need to be miserable and beg for my forgiveness. You cannot question my rules, because I'm such a better person than you. I'm only doing this because I love you so much.

Dorothy
Hello nana053. I am a Christian person. I believe that my heavenly Fathher loves me. But yeah, the dad described above really sounds like a bit of a psycho puppy.I'm just wondering if you are an atheist?

Old 08-07-2010, 04:01 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,867,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Dorothy
I know My Father in Heaven, and I thank Jesus Christ for that. Your OP does not describe My Father at all. By getting to know Jesus, you can know the Father, but until then... mocking will get no one near the truth.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:05 PM

465 posts, read 528,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
I know My Father in Heaven, and I thank Jesus Christ for that. Your OP does not describe My Father at all. By getting to know Jesus, you can know the Father, but until then... mocking will get no one near the truth.
Do you deserve hell without jesus?

Old 08-07-2010, 04:21 PM

44 posts, read 57,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Do you deserve hell without jesus?
Can you say anyone doesn't? The punishment is not based on what you do, but on whom you do it against.

If I tell a lie to my kid, nothing happens.

If I lie to my wife she might make me sleep on the couch.

If I lie to the government I could go to jail.

The difference is who I offend. God is not an abusive father, he crucified himself to redeem men.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
It interesting because my parents are Christians and were very involved in the church and also very abusive. They used these same arguments. They never stopped letting me know that I was lucky to be alive, how wonderful they were and how horrible I was. I think that in some people with abusive personalities they can really latch onto that underlying theme in The Bible and use it.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:36 PM

465 posts, read 528,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkWeekRules View Post
Can you say anyone doesn't? The punishment is not based on what you do, but on whom you do it against.

If I tell a lie to my kid, nothing happens.

If I lie to my wife she might make me sleep on the couch.

If I lie to the government I could go to jail.

The difference is who I offend. God is not an abusive father, he crucified himself to redeem men.
Do good parents torture their children for the rest of their lives for disobeying or making a mistake?

Not even talking about god right now, but do you think torture is right?

Simple questions.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:40 PM

454 posts, read 498,564 times
Quote:
Do good parents torture their children for the rest of their lives for disobeying or making a mistake?

Simple questions.
I would say that God is holy. This holiness makes it impossible for sin to stand in his presence. Therefore, if a person hasn't accepted the sanctification which comes through the Blood of the Lamb, then that person will die in their sin. This means that they will be unable to come into the presence of God. SO they will be separated from him for eternity. Being separated from everything which is good is hell.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:40 PM

44 posts, read 57,943 times
Quote:

Simple questions.
Did you read my post? It's not about us or what we did--it's about the one we offend. It's cute to play this game of calling God a horrible parent to torture....but let's compare apples to apples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.