Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:35 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,828 times

Advertisements

I just wondered.... Pagan and Wiccans don't push their religion on others, so how do some atheists feel about them? I haven't decided yet. I feel like I have a little more respect for them than I do for Christians or say Muslims....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 07:53 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
I don't know, I think christians could learn a lot from them. I think a few naked forest ceremonies would help to lighten them them up a lot.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:42 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,111,153 times
I don't know a whole lot about them, but any religion where people don't were their beliefs on their sleeve and throw it in everybody's face is alright with me.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:01 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,805,008 times
Personally, I feel indifferent about religion at this point. I don't appreciate the way most Christians treat me when they find out I'm an atheist or the way many push their ideas on others (we're having a prayer at football games controversy in our county right now). I'm sure I'd feel the say about Islam if it were in my face everyday.

Yes, I'm indifferent about non-evangelical, non-judgmental religions. Live and let live, I say. If a person can't do that, then I have a problem with it.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:19 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I just wondered.... Pagan and Wiccans don't push their religion on others, so how do some atheists feel about them? I haven't decided yet. I feel like I have a little more respect for them than I do for Christians or say Muslims....
I think their religious beliefs are just as...well, fanciful...as any other religion that believes in a higher power, deity, etc, and the fact they think they can cast spells is very chuckle-worthy, but they don't bother me.

The reason they don't bother me is because they're harmless and they don't proselytize. I know a few of them, and they're generally very kind and gentle people. So while they may believe some of that wacky stuff, it's okay because none of it is harmful to others and they keep it to themselves.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:24 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,096,376 times
I typically internally question those that feel they need such a silly activity - what are they missing out of life? On the other hand, maybe it's no different from me watching sports to fill some of my time? I guess either way it's senseless and time-consuming, but necessary and interesting.

(Sorry, was thinking out loud a bit)

I have met some that you could tell felt they were on a higher plane of understanding than those around them that didn't believe the same things - that ultimately reminds me of a lot of Christianity.

Meh. to each their own.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:27 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I typically internally question those that feel they need such a silly activity - what are they missing out of life? On the other hand, maybe it's no different from me watching sports to fill some of my time? I guess either way it's senseless and time-consuming, but necessary and interesting.

(Sorry, was thinking out loud a bit)

I have met some that you could tell felt they were on a higher plane of understanding than those around them that didn't believe the same things - that ultimately reminds me of a lot of Christianity.

Meh. to each their own.
The difference is, if you're interested in wicca, you have to seek them out. They won't just show up at your door trying to covert you, and they aren't trying to force their ideals onto everyone. Yeah, they're a little loony, but they're harmless and unintrusively loony.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:08 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,958,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The difference is, if you're interested in wicca, you have to seek them out. They won't just show up at your door trying to covert you, and they aren't trying to force their ideals onto everyone. Yeah, they're a little loony, but they're harmless and unintrusively loony.
Bingo

Old 11-17-2010, 12:52 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,295 times
Its nice to know that Christians have not destroyed all the pagan art in England.
But sometimes the Pagans feel some disrespect.

Warning, may be offensive to some. But not groping TSA workers or some Catholic priests. ("junk" in view)
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Dorset | Wish for rain to wash away Homer (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/dorset/6901543.stm - broken link)

Last edited by Aeroman; 11-17-2010 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: i know its old news ;)

Old 11-17-2010, 01:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
I respect them more than Christians, because their 'religions' seem closer to Nature (especially Wiccans), they don't proselytize, and they aren't following the flocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism