Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:26 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,506 times

Advertisements

This little diddy was in my inbox this morning. Needless to say, I worry about said cousin's sanity.

"Happy Holidays my beloved family near and far,

We can agree that Jesus existed, right? Why? Because of eyewitnesses and historical records. So, why would we accept that he existed, yet deny or spread misinformation about what he said and did, in spite of the same eyewitnesses and historical records? He fulfilled prophecies by Daniel which were written 600 years before his birth, such as the year of his baptism. In fact, Jesus fulfilled at least eight OT prophecies and some argue he fulfilled as many as 200. The chances of one man fulfilling eight are 1 in 1 with 17 zeros. Once people research this stuff on their own, denying it seems kind of ridiculous. Then, you can compare religions like Islam and see how ridiculous it is that people follow it. One thing I've found is that most of the Muslims I encountered in Iraq and Afghanistan were either illiterate or uneducated. So, really, they do what they're told and believe what they're told to believe. Here in America, if you try to live righteously according to the Bible, you are attacked. So, who is the enemy? Those who try to follow Jesus' example or those who disparige what he did and spread misinformation?

Please remember to keep the Christ in Christmas"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycandy View Post
This little diddy was in my inbox this morning. Needless to say, I worry about said cousin's sanity.

Write a thoughtful rebuttal and post it to everyone on that list.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:31 AM

I humbly request that you do it for me, MC. You possess way more wit than I do.

A good two sentence reality sucker punch response is all I need.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I humbly request that you do it for me, MC. You possess way more wit than I do.

A good two sentence reality sucker punch response is all I need.
Oh Jesus...don't flatter me like that, you might make me think I'm actually witty. I'd probably look for something online like this:

Old 11-30-2010, 09:36 AM

Ahh, that's a good one.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Ahh, that's a good one.
Lots of good things out there like that. I'm sure our fellow atheists here could chime in and give you some good one-two punches to choose from!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:56 AM

The first response that popped into my head was something along the line of...

"Dear XXXX,

Good to hear from you! I see the psychiatric hospital has given you access to the internet again.

All the best"

Old 11-30-2010, 10:06 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,598,917 times
Whoa, I can't imagine getting one of those from a relative. Yikes. If it's from a random internet person I usually just delete those. Sometimes I'll reply but, even though I'd joke about here, I wouldn't with them. If you want to reply I'd be straight with her about it - say you disagree and prefer not to receive proselytizing emails from her. If you want to include a 'zinger', signing it with Happy Holidays should do the trick.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:12 AM

You have a point toosie.

While part of me wants to "play along," there is that side that does seriously wonder about this person's mental state of mind like I stated.

This person was deployed over in Irag for awhile, hopped on the God train upon coming back, and assumably must be dealing with some PTSD. Again... only assuming from the email ramblings.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
The 'holiday conversion' has started with me early this year. Most of my relatives are fairly sane (ya know, crazy pagans and whatnot) but I do have a few Christian friends and family members that use this blessed time of year to send me emails and facebook messages about how now would be the PERFECT time to finally give myself over to the 'lord'.

Although, this year I actually received a 'Keep the CHRIST in CHRISTmas' magnet for my car from my rather evangelical second Cousin. I do think that would start some kind of religious war with my FSM placard, though.

I've already received the infamous Ben Stein email 4 times though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism