Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2022, 11:06 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
A Bible Belt in Canada is no way comparable to those in the States. The same way liberal and conservative do nit mean the same in both countries.

Southern Alberta Bible Belt is how i invision Eastern Colorado
Although, many in the Alberta Bible Belt would love to see it turn into Alabama or worse. There are some seriously religious fundamentalists who do NOT have any respect for others' beliefs or non-beliefs. I concur, liberal and conservative do not mean the same thing from a national perspective, but certainly there are parts of Alberta were the term "conservative" means the same as in the USA, and in a bad way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 01:22 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Although, many in the Alberta Bible Belt would love to see it turn into Alabama or worse. There are some seriously religious fundamentalists who do NOT have any respect for others' beliefs or non-beliefs. I concur, liberal and conservative do not mean the same thing from a national perspective, but certainly there are parts of Alberta were the term "conservative" means the same as in the USA, and in a bad way.
I agree. My own MLA who I have known him and his family is so far right he could fit well in the States. But I never had my religion ir lack of religion asked about here. Although it is Alberta the closest tonoutright religious displays in stores are for Rider pride merchandise. For our American friends think Green Bay Packer fans but more fanatical.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:21 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
It has been mentioned more than once that being an agnostic is a middle ground. Sometimes even being regarded as a balanced, safe position. But what caused the necessity of being balanced and how did the balance occur in the first place? It happened because the claim of the existence of a God was not acknowledged. But is that an agnostic position or an atheist one?

If I ask how something happens and an explanation is given based on observations that others can see, but then somebody adds in "but let us not forget to thank God", and I do not respond to this claim, what does that make me? An agnostic? An atheist? I don't see a difference.

But if I am then required to state my position and choosing agnosticism feels like the "balanced" one, then it is more of a social expectation that carries preferences.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:40 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
It has been mentioned more than once that being an agnostic is a middle ground. Sometimes even being regarded as a balanced, safe position. But what caused the necessity of being balanced and how did the balance occur in the first place? It happened because the claim of the existence of a God was not acknowledged. But is that an agnostic position or an atheist one?

If I ask how something happens and an explanation is given based on observations that others can see, but then somebody adds in "but let us not forget to thank God", and I do not respond to this claim, what does that make me? An agnostic? An atheist? I don't see a difference.

But if I am then required to state my position and choosing agnosticism feels like the "balanced" one, then it is more of a social expectation that carries preferences.
I would suggest you read post #3 in the A&A rules thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/athe...rules-faq.html

Atheism/theism is a belief position. Gnosticism/agnosticism is a knowledge position.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:08 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I would suggest you read post #3 in the A&A rules thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/athe...rules-faq.html

Atheism/theism is a belief position. Gnosticism/agnosticism is a knowledge position.
Ah, yes. That clears it up. Thank you.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:55 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post

It's just labels, that's all. I would be considered an agnostic atheist, which just means I lean more towards there not being a god. But I say I'm an atheist because basically I am, and it's just easier to say or type.

I wouldn't say agnosticism is "middle ground". It's simply saying you don't know whether there is a god or not. No belief, just admitting that you don't know because there is no evidence for a god. It is the best way to look at it logically, reasonably and just being ok with the fact that no one knows.

The bible is not good evidence of anything except that the human writers were possibly, especially Revelation, doing magic mushrooms and writing down their hallucinations and/or bizarre dreams.

It makes you whatever you want to be. There's no definition of atheist or agnostic that is set in stone. The label 'atheist', though, incites rage in radicals who have no clue that it just means non-believer in gods. It's hard to believe that you would have to explain that but you do.

Labels and social expectations, yes indeedy.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:30 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
It's just labels, that's all. I would be considered an agnostic atheist, which just means I lean more towards there not being a god. But I say I'm an atheist because basically I am, and it's just easier to say or type.

I wouldn't say agnosticism is "middle ground". It's simply saying you don't know whether there is a god or not. No belief, just admitting that you don't know because there is no evidence for a god. It is the best way to look at it logically, reasonably and just being ok with the fact that no one knows.

The bible is not good evidence of anything except that the human writers were possibly, especially Revelation, doing magic mushrooms and writing down their hallucinations and/or bizarre dreams.

It makes you whatever you want to be. There's no definition of atheist or agnostic that is set in stone. The label 'atheist', though, incites rage in radicals who have no clue that it just means non-believer in gods. It's hard to believe that you would have to explain that but you do.

Labels and social expectations, yes indeedy.
I think most of us atheists are actually agnostic atheists. I know for myself, if someone showed me true evidence of a good I'd have to reconsider my current belief. Just as I reconsidered my beliefs and became an atheist.

I enjoyed that paragraph that I bolded, in a humorous way.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think most of us atheists are actually agnostic atheists. I know for myself, if someone showed me true evidence of a good I'd have to reconsider my current belief. Just as I reconsidered my beliefs and became an atheist.
Yes I think so too. I haven't seen or talked to any atheists on this board who claim that there is definitely not a god. I don't know any atheists personally but I've talked with pretty much all of them who post in the R&S and they would consider new evidence too, if it were presented. Not to say that it would sway or affect their non-belief in any way at all, but it would be investigated. It would have to be confirmed scientifically, of course.

Quote:
I enjoyed that paragraph that I bolded, in a humorous way.
Finally! Someone who gets that I'm being facetious not irreverant

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-06-2022 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: Remobed extra quote tag

Old 08-05-2022, 08:35 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Yes I think so too. I haven't seen or talked to any atheists on this board who claim that there is definitely not a god. I don't know any atheists personally but I've talked with pretty much all of them who post in the R&S and they would consider new evidence too, if it were presented. Not to say that it would sway or affect their non-belief in any way at all, but it would be investigated. It would have to be confirmed scientifically, of course.

Finally! Someone who gets that I'm being facetious not irreverant
I would not -- for myself -- necessarily require scientific proof.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-06-2022 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: Removed extra quote tag

Old 08-06-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I would not -- for myself -- necessarily require scientific proof.
Really? I guess that's an atheist thing. Would you be ok with just a personal experience that left you with absolutely no doubts that there is a god?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism