Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 10:32 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I am not qualified to accuse neuroscientists of "enormous misunderstanding". And I suspect you are not, either.
Actually, I am, mordant, but that is essentially irrelevant. My views will either stand the scrutiny of future research or they will not. That remains to be seen, but not by me. Given the measurement issues and the lack of serious effort to examine such hypotheses, I will be long gone before that happens if it ever does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 12:23 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The only science illiterate here is the one who keeps wanting to be educated by Cliff's Notes on what he clearly does not even have a clue about (in an online discussion forum, no less!!!). Truly intelligent and educated people all have the ability to recognize when they are dealing with intelligent and educated people. You, sadly, seem to be a bit deficient in that regard. Fortunately, I can ignore you and your opinions because by your own admission you do not even exist. You are just an ILLUSION. I on the other hand am real because I have encountered God and KNOW I am not an illusion!
For someone who spends considerable amount of time trying to bolster their pretend credentials, the lack of understanding of real science becomes more and more evident.

Give it up. You are not impressing anyone who does understand science.

Old 09-07-2022, 12:51 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
The only science illiterate here is the one who keeps wanting to be educated by Cliff's Notes on what he clearly does not even have a clue about (in an online discussion forum, no less!!!). Truly intelligent and educated people all have the ability to recognize when they are dealing with intelligent and educated people. You, sadly, seem to be a bit deficient in that regard. Fortunately, I can ignore you and your opinions because by your own admission you do not even exist. You are just an ILLUSION. I on the other hand am real because I have encountered God and KNOW I am not an illusion!
Quote:
Actually, I am, mordant, but that is essentially irrelevant. My views will either stand the scrutiny of future research or they will not. That remains to be seen, but not by me. Given the measurement issues and the lack of serious effort to examine such hypotheses, I will be long gone before that happens if it ever does.
Anybody seen Mystic? Because some cranky ol' curmudgeon is posting for him. I asked you before Mystic but I forget. What happened to you? And this arrogance is over the top. Who exactly are you trying to convince? You're getting nowhere with your brand of woo, it seems...quite pointless. All proselytizing is pointless.

I miss the old, old Mystic. No one is going to accept that your personal experience means there is a god. You must know that on some level. That's not verifiable and proves nothing. It is not realistic to think that you're going to change anyone's mind. We know who we are and what we don't believe. Or believe. Besides being an "influence" on Godie, who else's mind have you changed?

Old 09-07-2022, 08:12 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
The only science illiterate here is the one who keeps wanting to be educated by Cliff's Notes on what he clearly does not even have a clue about (in an online discussion forum, no less!!!).
I do not want or need to be educated, I want the evidence so that I can use my sufficient education to verify if your claims are valid, or if it is just jargon.

BECs -> Mystic who gets the science wrong asserts -> God is not enough for me to believe you.

Quote:
Truly intelligent and educated people all have the ability to recognize when they are dealing with intelligent and educated people. You, sadly, seem to be a bit deficient in that regard.
Your usual ad hominem, but we have seen you fail when you try doing actual science. Like here:

Quote:
Step functions that use perceptron neuron models are unable to learn in complex networks without corrupting the outcomes by correcting one of the outcomes.
Which PhD got there jargon the wrong way round?

Quote:
Fortunately, I can ignore you and your opinions because by your own admission you do not even exist. You are just an ILLUSION. I on the other hand am real because I have encountered God and KNOW I am not an illusion!
So illusions do not exist? Shall I educate you about that?

Old 09-07-2022, 09:17 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
For someone who spends considerable amount of time trying to bolster their pretend credentials, the lack of understanding of real science becomes more and more evident.

Oh, I think he understands the foundations of science, but I think his ego puts him in a position where he feels that he can take liberties with the scientific method. Bend the rules of how science looks at data and other findings. Infuse science with personal opinion.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
It seems to be that there are very few if ANY on this forum who actually understand science and its limitations! The conflation of my spiritual BELIEFS with my scientific hypotheses is rampant. Learn to parse them.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Anybody seen Mystic? Because some cranky ol' curmudgeon is posting for him. I asked you before Mystic but I forget. What happened to you? And this arrogance is over the top. Who exactly are you trying to convince? You're getting nowhere with your brand of woo, it seems...quite pointless. All proselytizing is pointless.

I miss the old, old Mystic. No one is going to accept that your personal experience means there is a god. You must know that on some level. That's not verifiable and proves nothing. It is not realistic to think that you're going to change anyone's mind. We know who we are and what we don't believe. Or believe. Besides being an "influence" on Godie, who else's mind have you changed?
I am nearing the end of my journey here on earth, NS. I am tired of being beaten up by utter ignorance and stupidity on this forum for over 14 years. I guess I have become one of the grumpy old men! Sorry to disappoint you. The utter ignorance and stupidity here are legion! Up with it I will not put!!!

Old 09-08-2022, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh, I think he understands the foundations of science, but I think his ego puts him in a position where he feels that he can take liberties with the scientific method. Bend the rules of how science looks at data and other findings. Infuse science with personal opinion.
What you are reacting to here, Phet, is a refusal to parse my scientific hypotheses and their support from my spiritual BELIEFS and my adoption of a modified Christian narrative. They are NOT wedded at the hip. The scientific hypotheses can stand on their own. My spiritual BELIEFS are another matter. entirely and stem from my experiences.. Learn to parse them and things will be less confusing.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:41 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
What you are reacting to here, Phet, is a refusal to parse my scientific hypotheses and their support from my spiritual BELIEFS and my adoption of a modified Christian narrative. They are NOT wedded at the hip. The scientific hypotheses can stand on their own. My spiritual BELIEFS are another matter. entirely and stem from my experiences.. Learn to parse them and things will be less confusing.
Sorry, but you mix the two together ALL THE TIME. And that's not science.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sorry, but you mix the two together ALL THE TIME. And that's not science.
This almost sounds like you refuse to parse them because my spiritual BELIEFS are too easy to counter with the typical atheist nonsense arguments based on the assumptions of science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism