Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2007, 05:30 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke1946 View Post
Quantum physics, molecular and evolutionary biology, bio-chemistry can explain or attempt to explain how inert matter materialized from nothing, and, against incalcuable odds, became living organisms. But can evolutionary biology, quantum mechanics, neurobiology, or any discipline explain how the inert became the living organisms and then the living organisms became conscious and self-aware? RE: Strong Anthropic Principle
I'll try to make this as short and sweet as possible. I'm not sure if you read the NOVA article I posted earlier in this discussion, but it is the DNA makeup of a cell that carries the traits further. In other words, a cell is made up of nonliving material. It's simple DNA that is nothing but a simple acid. It is simply molecular makeup of the DNA that determines what a cell is going to do.

Now, do you remember in Chemistry class in high school when you would have one chemical (a constant) and then you would have another chemical (a variable) and you mixed it together you came up with a compound? I suppose you could consider it something like that. As cell's reproduce and multiply genetic information is passed on from one cell to the next. This happens in even the most basic of organisms. But, what are we? We are just a large grouping of cells made up of inanimate things. Really, if you want to really dissect it, we aren't really living at all. Sure, we walk, talk, breathe, but we are still made up of inanimate matter. We are all still just a bunch of atoms. From the first organism on the earth to present day the amount of matter on earth has not changed at all. The only exception to this would be meteorites that have hit the earth or launching spaceships out into space. That of course, alters the amount of matter we have on earth. But, for all practical senses we are made up of the exact same thing that the Earth was made up of before anything even lived. Just simple molecules and molecules have this crazy thing called bonding. They tend to just bond with things that are like and opposite. I think you should stop trying to look at it as a "life" thing and more of a "chemistry" thing. We are all just atoms and matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 05:04 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,704 times
Quote:
Quantum physics, molecular and evolutionary biology, bio-chemistry can explain or attempt to explain how inert matter materialized from nothing, and, against incalcuable odds, became living organisms. But can evolutionary biology, quantum mechanics, neurobiology, or any discipline explain how the inert became the living organisms and then the living organisms became conscious and self-aware? RE: Strong Anthropic Principle
I'm not sure how the antropic principle applies, but sentience is simply a property of certain organisms. This property is the result of a large brain. So yes, this is quite easily explained by evolutionary biology.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:59 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times
Quote:
Nope!

But as you see from the above two posts, they sure try!!

Old 08-07-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Nope!

But as you see from the above two posts, they sure try!!
...sentience is simply a property of certain organisms. This property is the result of a large brain. So yes, this is quite easily explained by evolutionary biology.

What part wasn't clear, Alpha?

Old 08-07-2007, 02:12 PM

89 posts, read 299,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke1946
What do you mean "materialized from nothing"? Surely that can't happen! Oh yeah... Creation Ex Nihilo, anyone?

Old 08-13-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
What part wasn't clear, Alpha?
Sorry nvxplorer, I guess I wasn't clear. The part I'm still a little shady on is the part bolded below....also the part that I meant when I said 'nope, but they sure try!'

Sorry for MY ignorance.

Quote:

Old 08-13-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Sorry nvxplorer, I guess I wasn't clear. The part I'm still a little shady on is the part bolded below....also the part that I meant when I said 'nope, but they sure try!'

Sorry for MY ignorance.
The field duke1946 is looking for is that of abiogenesis. This field has made much progress in recent years. Regardless of our present or future state of knowledge, what many people do is called "God of the gaps." That is, they insert "God" as an explanation where one cannot be given. This has gone on since the beginning of civilization. These gaps have been ever-shrinking as new knowledge is gained. In Benjamin Franklin's time, it was widely believed that lightening was a sign of wrath from God. Then Ben (a Christian) comes along and shows that lightening is an entirely natural phenomenon.

Just because we cannot solve the puzzle of abiogenesis, at this moment anyway, does not mean goddidit.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:16 PM

204 posts, read 507,945 times
From what I’ve seen, Atheist need to know a lot about science to come to the conclusions they have about God not existing. I’ve never once met an Atheist that said “I just feel that God doesn’t exist”. Most of the Atheist I’ve spoken to have come to their own conclusion of God not existing by long philosophical arguments, and loads of supposed scientific ‘proofs’.

I feel sorry for you all sometimes because you are limited by your own logic. If you come to a huge chasm and something doesn’t compute right then you have to stop. You’re stuck. Logic can only take you so far.

If we as believers in God come to a huge chasm and logic can’t bridge the gap…we just hop on the faith plane and fly right on over to meet God on the other side

We don’t dismiss logic; we just aren’t limited by it.

I’m just glad as believers we don’t’ have to rely on our own ‘great minds’ to solve the real problems of the world. Just look where that has gotten us so far. We have enough nuclear weapons to kill everything in the world thousands of times over.

Famous Quote: “Science has made the world a neighborhood, but it sure hasn’t made it a brotherhood”. God plans on making it a brotherhood. That sounds more logical to me. LOL

Old 08-13-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelsaves View Post
From what I’ve seen, Atheist need to know a lot about science to come to the conclusions they have about God not existing. I’ve never once met an Atheist that said “I just feel that God doesn’t exist”. Most of the Atheist I’ve spoken to have come to their own conclusion of God not existing by long philosophical arguments, and loads of supposed scientific ‘proofs’.

I feel sorry for you all sometimes because you are limited by your own logic. If you come to a huge chasm and something doesn’t compute right then you have to stop. You’re stuck. Logic can only take you so far.

If we as believers in God come to a huge chasm and logic can’t bridge the gap…we just hop on the faith plane and fly right on over to meet God on the other side

We don’t dismiss logic; we just aren’t limited by it.

I’m just glad as believers we don’t’ have to rely on our own ‘great minds’ to solve the real problems of the world. Just look where that has gotten us so far. We have enough nuclear weapons to kill everything in the world thousands of times over.

Famous Quote: “Science has made the world a neighborhood, but it sure hasn’t made it a brotherhood”. God plans on making it a brotherhood. That sounds more logical to me. LOL
Why do you choose to believe in God?

(Careful, no logic allowed.)

Old 08-13-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Just because we cannot solve the puzzle of abiogenesis, at this moment anyway, does not mean goddidit.
...and it doesn't mean goddidntdoit either.....

and so the answer to the question asked and that I responded to is still 'Nope, but they sure do try'.

Thanks for correcting me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism