Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:08 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times

Advertisements

Being a non-believer, I have never prayed, beyond a few frivolous prayers as a child ("God, please let me get an A on my Biology test tomorrow...")

I'm interested to know about people who pray and then their prayers are not answered. Apparently, if a person prays, they believe "God" is listening to them, correct? Let's say that their dog is hit by a car and is hanging to life by a thread. They pray to God that he spare Fido and allow him to live on many more healthy years.

If Fido does recover, do they believe God listened and healed the pooch? Conversely, if Fido dies, how they do they deal with that? Do they think God was busy and not listening to their prayer, or that God did hear their prayer but chose to let Fido expire? Or do they think, "Satan killed Fido and I'm being punished because I shoplifted from Sears in April, 1992!" ?

This is a serious question. I am very curious to know how believers deal with the fact their prayers must go unanswered a lot of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 08:01 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
The mods will probably move this to the Religion/Philosophy forum, but as a former theist, I can tell you how I would have rationalized this. Seriously.

In your example of the dog: yes, if the dog lived, I would have assumed that God had answered my prayer. Obviously, it was God's will that my dog should live. If the dog died, I would have assumed that God was teaching me something by taking my dog's life. There is a lesson there I should learn. Probably, I would have assumed that I needed to learn to trust God, to love him more than my dog. That's how my brain worked back then.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:24 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Being a non-believer, I have never prayed, beyond a few frivolous prayers as a child ("God, please let me get an A on my Biology test tomorrow...")

I'm interested to know about people who pray and then their prayers are not answered. Apparently, if a person prays, they believe "God" is listening to them, correct? Let's say that their dog is hit by a car and is hanging to life by a thread. They pray to God that he spare Fido and allow him to live on many more healthy years.

If Fido does recover, do they believe God listened and healed the pooch? Conversely, if Fido dies, how they do they deal with that? Do they think God was busy and not listening to their prayer, or that God did hear their prayer but chose to let Fido expire? Or do they think, "Satan killed Fido and I'm being punished because I shoplifted from Sears in April, 1992!" ?

This is a serious question. I am very curious to know how believers deal with the fact their prayers must go unanswered a lot of the time.
The people do the same if it is a child and not a dog. Child lives, god is praised, prayer is proven. If the child dies, it's gods will, and of course the child is in heaven because they prayed. Or some really sick BS about "god needed the child in heaven"

Old 05-01-2011, 10:51 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
You came to the wrong place to ask about prayer.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:05 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times
Prayer is nothing more than selectively reinforced wishful thinking. Stop trying to make sense of it. There is no sense to be had, and looking for it will only give you a headache.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:10 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Or do they think, "Satan killed Fido and I'm being punished because I shoplifted from Sears in April, 1992!" ?
It would seem that God would '"allow" Fido to die because you shoplifted from Sears as opposed to Satan killing him.

Now if YOU killed the dog then of course Satan could have made you do it or perhaps you got posessed by a demon or something.

As far as prayers go, your typical Christian will tell you that God answers prayer with three possibilities: Yes, No or wait.

Mostly he answers wait.............and wait............and wait.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:28 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
Unfortunately like all other religions, they teach you nothing about what you can and can't control. Everything situation outcome is chalked up to some reason having to do with god.

That being said I'm pretty sure a believer would go through exactly what you spelled out in each situation. Because like I previously stated, god is involved in one way or another.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:03 AM

317 posts, read 496,503 times
God is not our butler. We can't just snap our fingers and expect God to cater to our every whim. Life is a learning experience. We learn though problems and pain. We can't expect God to magically remove all our problems for us, because we would not evolve without experiencing problems.
I am not a big fan of organized religion because church leaders tend to give people unrealistic expectations about what God can do for them. That is why so many people get frustrated when they don't always get a response from their prayers.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
God is not our butler. We can't just snap our fingers and expect God to cater to our every whim.
So Jesus the man-god was lying when he said:

"You may ask for anything in my name and you will receive it."

Old 05-06-2011, 07:25 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
This is how I see it....if there WAS a 'god', the dog wouldn't have run into the road, or the owner wouldn't have allowed it...or heaven would have conspired to keep everyone safe.

I hear so many folks who "Praise God" for good things that happen after bad things have befallen them.....makes no sense!

A friend just underwent major surgery...it was successful. Everyone is saying "Thank you, Jesus", or Praise God, or Angels were there.....goes on and on and on......why aren't they praising the doctors skills that corrected the "flaw" that (God) created the problem in the first place? I just don't get it.

We live our lives....we do the best we can. No one is watching out for us )except for our loved ones!!)....if we fail, it's on us. If we succeed, we've done well. It's up to ourselves...not some "spirit" out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism