Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 10:31 PM

314 posts, read 817,417 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I assume that this is a weird proposition but I guess I'd say I'm a spiritual Athiest.. I believe that everything evolved throughout time, duh which is the only logical explanation on how we got here. Though, when I am lacking confidence in something or just in general I believe in certain energies. I can sense the energy of a person just by being with them. It's weird, I believe in drifting energies good and bad. Like there's heavy clouds over people's heads who are angry/upset about something. I wouldnt consider myself agnostic though, I just believe there's energies. Anyone think similarly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 11:40 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
It would really help if you try to explain what you think this stuff is. When people use the word energies, I think of detecting body language on a subtle levels, realizing the chemistry (or lack of) between people etc.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:42 AM

605 posts, read 705,307 times
I see no conflicts with your two beliefs - other than just a problem of being an Atheist in general :P

How do you know for sure that the energies you "feel" and believe are there, are from something out there that you have yet to discover? When there's room for doubt and the realization that humans can't know what the truth is, there's always room for Agnosticism :P

Old 10-23-2011, 01:26 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Whatever energies are from "something IN there". Some people are simply energizing to be around because of their personalities (or intelligence, knowledge, musical abilities, etc.). I don't think there is anything 'spiritual' about it. They just crank you up!

Old 10-23-2011, 02:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybflady13 View Post
Hi everyone,
I assume that this is a weird proposition but I guess I'd say I'm a spiritual Athiest.. I believe that everything evolved throughout time, duh which is the only logical explanation on how we got here. Though, when I am lacking confidence in something or just in general I believe in certain energies. I can sense the energy of a person just by being with them. It's weird, I believe in drifting energies good and bad. Like there's heavy clouds over people's heads who are angry/upset about something. I wouldnt consider myself agnostic though, I just believe there's energies. Anyone think similarly?
Well, obviously there are energies. It's just that some of them seem to be speculative and based on a need for an invisible magical mechanism to support some unverified tale like energy flows between points of the body or between ancient stone circles and UFOs or between a person smoking some crap and whatever made the universe.

I tend to reserve belief in these speculations until there's some decent evidence. So I'm not 'spiritual' in the same way I'm not a believer in the supernatural - not because it is excluded by atheist dogma (as believers sometime accuse us of doing) but because there just isn't persuasive or convincing evidence for it.

On the other hand, 'spiritual' in the sense of appreciation of beauty, wonder, and pursuit of the good is what I am and more effectively, I'd say, for being atheist as I take it on its own terms without having to pass it through a distorting lens of speculation and superstition.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:10 AM

314 posts, read 817,417 times
Arequipa - you said it best! I appreciate the beauty in life and all that comes with it! Even the hard-knocks, because it is all part of life. I guess I just accept it!!
I believe you could be spiritual and non-religious since they are two different things. People just like to bunch them up, maybe I am leaning toward Agnosticism (oh-no)

As for sensing energies, which is hard to explain..I guess I could sense things before they actually happen and I can figure out a person for the most part. That sounds arrogant of me..but I normally let my guard up before I actually trust people..it's hard for me to trust people! I have to test them first..hehe

Old 10-23-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Arequipa - you said it best! I appreciate the beauty in life and all that comes with it! Even the hard-knocks, because it is all part of life. I guess I just accept it!!
I believe you could be spiritual and non-religious since they are two different things. People just like to bunch them up, maybe I am leaning toward Agnosticism (oh-no)
I think so. There are a lot of people who are spiritual and even sincerely theist while not buying into any of the man-made religions. While I can debate at length about the reasoning and evidence, I don't see them as a dogma that we need to see the back of.

Quote:
As for sensing energies, which is hard to explain..I guess I could sense things before they actually happen and I can figure out a person for the most part. That sounds arrogant of me..but I normally let my guard up before I actually trust people..it's hard for me to trust people! I have to test them first..hehe
There's a lot of evidence for that, but there are also various explanations. For example, there are subconscious signs we don't even know we're seeing. Rather like the ones given to counting horses or talking dogs. Most people never see them. So I note the effect and reserve judgement about the mechanism. And endure the accusations about closed - minded domatic materialist atheism when I don't immediately see it as evidence for God.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I think so. There are a lot of people who are spiritual and even sincerely theist while not buying into any of the man-made religions. While I can debate at length about the reasoning and evidence, I don't see them as a dogma that we need to see the back of. I sometimes think that it would be nice to do my life over again without the time - wasting mistakes and avoiding the knocks (some very hard indeed!) but I have to admit that they were worth doing in their own way.

Quote:
There's a lot of evidence for that, but there are also various explanations. For example, there are subconscious signs we don't even know we're seeing. Rather like the ones given to counting horses or talking dogs. Most people never see them. So I note the effect and reserve judgement about the mechanism. And endure the accusations about closed - minded domatic materialist atheism when I don't immediately see it as evidence for God.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:31 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
Quote:
Of course, I think many people who use the word "spiritual" to describe themselves do it exactly to distance themselves from religious people.

Spiritual But Not Religious - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why do you say "oh no" when you mention leaning towards Agnosticism? Agnosticism is a perfectly rational and logical stance to take and it is compatible with atheist or theist beliefs, although people who consider themselves Agnostic are often genuinely undecided about which belief position to take (which again I find very rational considering the limited knowledge we have to base such fundamental beliefs on).

Old 10-23-2011, 09:33 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
I personally do not believe in the term spiritual because I don't believe we have spirits. We have a brain, a magnificent brain that can comprehend and experience all manner of beauty, music, feelings of great heights and great depths, wonder, joy, awe...all the things that make us human and give our lives expression and meaning. But all of these aspects of ourselves are centred in our brain and have nothing to do with anything supernatural.

I am an atheist who experiences a lot of emotions, an atheist who finds great pleasure in wondrous things, who loves nature and animals, who can find herself lost in a story and immerse herself in music...but all the while I have an understanding that these things are just in my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism