Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 11:39 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
Just curious. Perhaps Easter, too.

I'm curious why? Kids? Family? Friends?
Yes, on both counts.

I do it because both holidays can be celebrated in a completely secular manner and the country is set up in such a way that these holidays usually co-incide with vacations from work and school, so all the family is avail to get together.

If we lived in a society where almost everyone had work and school off on say, June 23rd, then I would celebrate whatever holiday June 23rd happened to be..whether I believed in it or not.

There are religious reasons for holidays, but they have secular and practical ramifications for us non religious folk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 04:53 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
Just curious. Perhaps Easter, too.

I'm curious why? Kids? Family? Friends?
I celebrate the CULTURAL holiday christmas, with a christmas/yule tree, wreaths, mistletoe, etc. All of which are not CHRISTIAN by any means.

So I think I celebrate XMAS more than christmas. I do not particularly "celebrate" Easter besides getting my kids a basket or the occasional easter egg hunt (another decidedly not christian activity).

Old 12-19-2011, 08:11 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Of course! I celebrate both Christmas and Easter. Why? Because holidays are a great excuse to act silly, and it's so hard to start a new one and have everyone back you.

I'll go even further to say I do NOT want to say "Happy Holidays" when I mean "Merry Christmas". I don't say it on Halloween, which is a holiday. Why would I say it on Christmas? Until we change the name of Thursday to Maybetheresahammerweildinggodmaybenotday, we've no need to hide the word 'Christmas' from anybody.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:42 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,740 times
Yes, I do, I believe in the spirit of christmas and easter. I do not believe a womans birth canal is a one way street and I do not believe in the dead rising. But I do believe in humanist gestures to my fellow man (and woman) which I practice not only during christmas and easter but throughout the whole year. The movie version of a christmas carol with Alastair Sim tells a very good story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism