Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 02:11 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I don't know about that bad luck naming fish. Most of the ones we named lasted longer than the ones that we didn't name.

Or maybe it's cuz Cichlids are just awful fish to try keeping?
Uhm, its BS that it is bad luck, I apologize for not making that clear.

It is just a superstition, the same way my grandmother throws salt over her shoulder. She knows its crap but she does it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 02:49 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Uhm, its BS that it is bad luck, I apologize for not making that clear.

It is just a superstition, the same way my grandmother throws salt over her shoulder. She knows its crap but she does it anyway.

Nah, you made it clear. I got it. It was my attempt at a (sort of) joke.

My daughter did the salt think yesterday! I am not a superstitious person (excluding the religion). I find it truly amazing that my daughter is. I would have thought the younger generation would be even less superstitious than me.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:27 PM

284 posts, read 499,562 times
Every time my kids drive through a yellow light (even the hard-core Atheist), they will knock on the dash and rap on the windshield to keep the cops away. All four of them do this. The oldest (25 year-old) has added a rap to the ceiling of the car. Not a one of them are religious, but they all believe in luck and karma (For example: they will all leave money in an empty house when they leave - brings good fortune to the new tenants).

It's probably my fault, I brought them up believing there's magic in the world.

Last edited by wscottling; 01-03-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 03:31 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
I won't say never, but it should be very difficult to find a superstitious atheist. Most of us who are rational enough to recognize that there is no valid evidence for the existence of any god are also rational enough to recognize that what some people think of as luck, good luck charms, lucky omens, fate (including astrological forces), or the influence of the tides or the phases of the moon (I could go on) are also bogus.

There could be some atheists, however, especially those who have not thought too deeply about the subject, who reflexively believe in some of these concepts.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:43 PM

284 posts, read 499,562 times
Quote:
I never heard about not bringing a broom from one house to another.
I heard something about sweeping stuff out the door. I don't remember the details.
You're not supposed to sweep your dirt out of the door because it's bad luck (you're sweeping your luck out of the door). I never understood that one because you would think that one would associate dirt with bad luck, but that's the way it was explained to me. *shrug*

Old 01-03-2012, 04:21 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,857 times
Am I allowed to ask follow up questions?

I also wonder if any atheist who don't believe in luck still say "good luck" for some (or any) reason.

Thank you all for anwering my questions so far.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:00 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:

I also wonder if any atheist who don't believe in luck still say "good luck" for some (or any) reason.

Yes. Because luck can mean chance and I am hoping the odds of their endeavor are in their favor.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:10 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottling View Post
You're not supposed to sweep your dirt out of the door because it's bad luck...
I should have a lot of good luck coming if it works that way!

Old 01-04-2012, 05:46 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Yes. Because luck can mean chance and I am hoping the odds of their endeavor are in their favor.
Precisely.

(Spock) "Hmmm...random factors would appear to have operated in our favour."

(McCoy) "In other words, we've been lucky."

(Spock) "Isn't that what I just said, doctor?" (1)

When the term 'Miracle' is applied to a favourable outcome with or without effort and expertise applied to bring it abut, I translate that in my head.

(1) The Doomesday machine

Spock: Random chance seems to have operated in our favor.
Leonard McCoy: In plain, non-Vulcan English, we've been lucky.
Spock
: I believe I said that, Doctor.

Not an exact quote but I got the sense right.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:52 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
Quote:

It's equivalent to saying you hope they are successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism