Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,279,176 times

Advertisements

I know it is easy to become impatient with theists. Why have the fundamentals of your beliefs based on metaphor, and why have your beliefs dictated to you from an era in human history 2000 years ago? Surely people must realise that there are thousands upon thousands of books that have been published and made available that are far more important to study than one book written thousands of years ago. Can the study of the Quran, Bible and any other religious book end and can the study of the rest of human knowledge begin? Cant we move on? Does it really take a lifetime of study to understand one book? Dont you think that you may find more answers in the thousands of other books and those answers will not be hidden in metaphor!

When presented with ideas or memes, especially ideas/memes that counter or directly challenge dogmatic beliefs, people can never be the same unless they choose to remain ignorant of that meme.....

I believe that the human being places a high value on loyalty, and being loyal to your religion is what impedes change... but the truth is obvious, so obvious that change is inevitable. It is just going to take time for the masses to change but nevertheless that is where everything is moving.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 04:55 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,897,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
What do you think?
I think I am very fortunate to be alive in reasonably good health, and I plan to enjoy life as much as I can until I croak.

As we learn more about the world and overcome our superstitions, we won't use religion to do bad things like burning women because we think they are witches. Most people will use religion to comfort themselves in their lives.

Therefore, I think religion will be used to do more good in the world, and to do less evil.

For example, we never taught our children anything about religion, but last week, at the age of 33, our son chose to be baptised at an Episcopal church. Good for him.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I think I am very fortunate to be alive in reasonably good health, and I plan to enjoy life as much as I can until I croak.

As we learn more about the world and overcome our superstitions, we won't use religion to do bad things like burning women because we think they are witches. Most people will use religion to comfort themselves in their lives.

Therefore, I think religion will be used to do more good in the world, and to do less evil.

For example, we never taught our children anything about religion, but last week, at the age of 33, our son chose to be baptised at an Episcopal church. Good for him.
Why do we need religion? It is a personal choice, I agree, but we don't need it. Religion divides us...... Information and data driven decisions unite humanity.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:56 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,549,395 times
Good luck with that! Or not.

It is possible to study one "ancient" book and also read others.
It is possible to read more than one text and compare them and then decide what makes sense to you.
It is possible to learn from more than one source.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Why do we need religion? It is a personal choice, I agree, but we don't need it. Religion divides.
Why do we need food? If we didn't have to struggle to obtain a supply of food, we humans would probably get along better.

The answer to both of our questions is simple: Because we are human.

You and I do not need religion in our lives, but many people do. You and I just have to accept it.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Why do we need food? If we didn't have to struggle to obtain a supply of food, we humans would probably get along better.

The answer to both of our questions is simple: Because we are human.

You and I do not need religion in our lives, but many people do. You and I just have to accept it.

I do accept that others choose religion, that is what my post is about... people think they need religion, but to me religion divides...

Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Good luck with that! Or not.

It is possible to study one "ancient" book and also read others.
It is possible to read more than one text and compare them and then decide what makes sense to you.
It is possible to learn from more than one source.
I completely agree.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I do accept that others choose religion
I don't think they choose religion. They NEED religion, just like you and I need food.

At least most organized religions teach people to behave well.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:04 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times
Quote:
I don't think they choose religion. They NEED religion, just like you and I need food.

At least most organized religions teach people to behave well.
I think you're right, Hiker. Many people need a GUIDE or a SOURCE of hope in order to deal with adversity. This seems to be the norm if you look at the history of mankind. Although unfortunately many people choose negativity as their religion because they are in spiritual/emotional/mental bondage to fear. So, in that sense, I think there is good religion and bad religion.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:51 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,111,264 times
How people use religion is the problem, not necessarily religion itself. I don't care for religion for two main reasons: People often use it in a negative manner and biblical literalism. I would never in a million years want to be associated with either one of those things, so I wear the not religious label with great pride.

It would be nice if some people actually read "God's word" every once in a while and not just listen to some screaming blabbermouth on Sunday mornings.

It is possible, even in the Old Testament of the Bible, to get messages of of unconditional love (Hosea) and that racism is bad (Ruth). You even see the birth of universalism there (Malachi). If you read the Bible you see man's idea of God evolve from a tribal war deity to such things as the Suffering Servant. That's quite a leap from what the concept of God was earlier.

The point I'm trying to make is those of us who think religion is going to die eventually are probably wrong. It will, like it always has, simply evolve into something more sensible and in touch with modern times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism