Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 11:16 PM

43 posts, read 166,989 times

Advertisements

I live in Utah, extremely religious state. I get asked all the time about which religion I belong to. I usually avoid the question because so many people get offended about it. I only made the mistake of being honest once. A man asked me about which religion I belong to, I told him that I do not have or believe in religion. He then went on to lecture me and tell me that all of 'us' should be sent away on a boat and disappear. I am sure this will not be the last time something is said like this to me, especially in this state.
Annnnyway, I need advice on how you handle the hateful comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 11:36 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalpal View Post
I live in Utah, extremely religious state. I get asked all the time about which religion I belong to. I usually avoid the question because so many people get offended about it. I only made the mistake of being honest once. A man asked me about which religion I belong to, I told him that I do not have or believe in religion. He then went on to lecture me and tell me that all of 'us' should be sent away on a boat and disappear. I am sure this will not be the last time something is said like this to me, especially in this state.
The way ducks handle the water on their backs.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:58 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Just say "prove it" to each assertion if you don't want to just roll over. I don't put up with rudeness from theists, and being lectured is rude.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The way ducks handle the water on their backs.
But occasionally with an irritated shake of the tail.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 AM

27,568 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Well, I kind of feel sorry for you that you live in such an extremely religious state. Not everywhere in America is like that.

I live in a pretty liberal state (Maryland) where most people pretty much mind their own business when it comes to religion (Jehovah's witnesses being the significant exception). I guess I'm fortunate in that way.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:42 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Download some atheist *tracts* and hand him one.

Why Won't God Heal Amputees?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Response #1 (if feeling frisky): "What's your favorite sexual position?"
Response #2 (if feeling careful): "That's a rather personal question/Why do you ask?"

Old 03-05-2012, 05:27 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
I, too, live in Utah. The few times I have been approached or asked about what religion I believe in, I tell the person that I have my own personal beliefs and do not discuss them.

This has worked over the last 14 years. Let them assume what they wish, it doesn't make any difference to me or insult them.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Utah eh?

Well my friend, you have two choices... either join the local ever-pervasive evil-smiling scripture-toting cult of green jello and magic underwear or become a bum hipster who writes columns for City Weekly and never leaves their local coffee shop/nightclub/parent's basement, much to the dismay of their very uppity religious LDS parents.

As for me, I find black humor is very effective... and be thankful, because at least the "Mormon Taliban" won't force you to pray 5 times daily in the direction of Temple Square, make you wear a white shirt and tie everywhere in public, cut your hands/arms/nethers off for drinking coffee or beer and take your head for badmouthing old Joe Smith.

It could be worse... you could be living the Deep South!

Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
He then went on to lecture me and tell me that all of 'us' should be sent away on a boat and disappear.
When people take it to this level try to keep it cool, just say something like "well i'm sorry but i just choose to not let religion into my life and i don't mean to disrespect you." if hes still disrespecting you say "well thats nice but this is a pointless argument, how about you just be you and ill just be me and we'll move on with our lives."

Avoid confrontation because you never know if you will see this guy again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism