Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,951 times

Advertisements

Don't become an atheist just out of rebellion against your preconceived notions of the church. Put some serious thought into it-- research the argument on both sides.
You don't want to be wrong on this one in the end... whichever way you choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 10:34 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Being an atheist isn't about "preconceived notions of the church". I have put a lot of serious thought into it. I simply cannot believe, nor do I want to believe, the mythologies of religion. I've made my choice and am not wrong.

You are implying that we had all better believe, just in case. That is Pascal's Wager. Thanks but no thanks.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:06 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute1 View Post
Don't become an atheist just out of rebellion against your preconceived notions of the church. Put some serious thought into it-- research the argument on both sides.
Atheism isn't about rebellion or preconceived notions of the church. Most atheists have made a concious decision to become atheists based on a critical examination of the evidence. Many atheists have even come from a religious background. Another flaw in your argument is that you assume someone should believe lest a god does exist. What if you're wrong though? What if there is a god and that god is Ra, then you'll still go to hell because you worshipped the wrong god. Or what if god rewards disbelief and punishes belief. What if there's an afterlife, but it's based on Buddhist reincarnation? Then you'll be reinncarnated as a lower life form because you didn't follow the 8 fold path. Also, what if there is no god? Then all of the time and energy you wasted on an imaginary being could have been given to a real person.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:12 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,195,710 times
I'm going to ignore the post that dredged this 2 year old thread back from the dead simply because it's proselytizing and I'm going to reply to the OP, even though I realize it's an old one.

My daughter is in public school here, and she plays soccer with a local youth league. While there have been minor issues already with religion being added to the curriculum they've all been fairly minor to date. I fear, though, that as she gets older and the topics because a little more advanced that religious issues will come up more often and be more serious.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 AM

651 posts, read 1,416,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute1 View Post

I don't know about the rest of you, but my atheism didn't cost a cent.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:17 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,234 times
There are some real christian-acting folks in that there town, what a bunch of morons, anyone that would bully, that's right, bully a youngster like that in the name of religion is a far cry from christian. And she is right, we're all born atheists; atheist means without religion, so we're all born that way. Without religion, without prejudice, without hatred, without bias. But unfortunately we're taught these negative emotions and points of view from closed-monded zealots that are so out of touch with reality. They are fear driven and just like a bunch of sheep, following rather than using the intellect they were born with and questioning that garbage and drivel they say they believe in.

This country needs to wake up.

Last edited by axemanjoe; 11-09-2009 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism