Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 07:13 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I disagree, I think there's something to the social perception of a married couple as opposed to an unmarried one which is part of why people want it. People not in the marriage treat a marriage as more serious and more deserving of respect then a regular relationship, and there's alot of cultural tradition surrounding weddings, anniversaries, little stuff like that. That's why I think there's something more to marriage then mere law, it's an institution that still has quite a bit of significance sociologically.
I guess my point was, that if you are going through a ritual merely to appease family, that should be a warning sign that family will likely have too much power in the marriage. The none of their business questions like "when are you going to make us grandparents", etc.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-25-2012 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: ruled out f bomb..It is a filtered word no matter how hard we try to disguise it :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I married a theist and we did a religious ceremony. It didn't kill me.

I think just about any ceremomony is OK, provided both parties are comfortable with it. But a wedding ceremony is a big deal culture-wise so you should at least do something!
Geez, took til page 5 to find someone like me?
haha
My wife believes. I don't. She knows. We got married in a church with a catholic priest. Blahblah nod your head, speak your vows and then PARTY TIME. What's the big deal?

It made her happy.
And we have been making each other happy ever since!

Disagree that "doing it just for the family gives the family power over your life" Asheville. Come on. That's weak.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 AM

210 posts, read 269,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Wow, non-religious people don't marry for religious reasons? Who would have guessed
Glad you decided to join us!

Old 10-25-2012, 03:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Wow, non-religious people don't marry for religious reasons? Who would have guessed
That's crazy talk. Next thing you know someone is going to say non-religous people have a code of ethics that has nothing to do with religion. Blasphemy!!!!

Old 10-30-2012, 04:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Geez, took til page 5 to find someone like me?
haha
My wife believes. I don't. She knows. We got married in a church with a catholic priest. Blahblah nod your head, speak your vows and then PARTY TIME. What's the big deal?

It made her happy.
And we have been making each other happy ever since!

Disagree that "doing it just for the family gives the family power over your life" Asheville. Come on. That's weak.
Obvious that is what your wife wanted, she is your partner, thus non-issue.

My point was if it is for "the family" and both of you just went along because of the pressure to please, "the family". I would suspect that the father of the bride checkbook has also been used for leverage to control the couple, a bad precedent to start a family on. You both are leaving family and starting your own, nor are you marrying the "in-laws".

Old 06-18-2014, 08:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Marriage is actually of the government, not of god. Otherwise Christians would not bother with marriage licenses, but would simply marry in the Church and ignore the state.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:36 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,917,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Marriage is actually of the government, not of god. Otherwise Christians would not bother with marriage licenses, but would simply marry in the Church and ignore the state.
Yes, and of course, Christians also are dependent on the government to dealing with their divorces.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:57 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
"believe in getting married" is odd phrasing. And I fail to see any inherent link between committed human relationships and religion, or between the myriad benefits of civil marriage and religion.

My wife and I were married 19 years ago. No deities were invited. And a good time was had by all.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:05 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,106 times
My anti-marriage views have very little to do with me being an atheist. I think marriage is an antiquated instituation. The only people who really benefit from marriage are religious institutions and the government. I was married once, for 7 years. The only thing that contract did for my relationship was ruin it. People get complacent. Even though it's not really all that difficult to get a divorce, the mindset makes people think it's harder to leave, therefore they tend to stop trying. When you look at the origins of marriage, it was invented as a way to own people. If I somehow changed my mind on marriage, I would have a big ceremony, there just wouldn't be a church, a priest and the traditional religious BS. It would be scripted by myself and the bride, with our own vows, etc.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:17 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
I am Wiccan & my husband is an atheist. We decided to get married for many reasons. The biggest reason was that we really love each other. Financial reasons also helped. I could get on his health insurance, he got a military dependent ID which opens doors. I also got a little bit more in my monthly pay. Etc. etc.

When it came time to plan the wedding, it was my atheist husband who suggested a Wiccan ceremony. We really wanted to make it as "nontraditional" as possible. We walked down the aisle hand in hand, we included parts of "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran, and with our vows, we said to each other, "I chose YOU...." Ok, so we did do the traditional kiss. We also did handfasting & jumped over the broom at the end. What I really like about it was in the receiving line, everyone took little ribbons and tied it onto our broom. Each ribbon was their wish for us. Our broom is hanging in our foyer with everyone's wishes on it.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism