Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I don't think there is a war against Christmas so much as there is a certain segment of the population falling over themselves to be perceived as paragons of political correctness and ultra-inclusiveness.

That said, most of the symbology of Christmas, minus the nativity scene, that are deemed so offensive are properly Yule symbols having nothing to do with Christianity. Furthermore, Yule, even in pre-Christian Germanic society, was essentially a secular holiday. Thus, the most common symbols creating so much social strife are secular anyway.

I have no problem with a secular holiday being nationally recognized and celebrated, symbols and all, in the public square.
Yeah. I would not mind a Winter Holiday or Yule Holiday or Solstice Holiday. I like the music and the shopping that helps the economy.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:40 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

Or the appropriately named "Nutty Farmers of Farmington".... WTF? Then there's The Nutty Putty Cave group. Don't ask...
You aren't picking on Utah again are you?

Farmington, Utah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nutty Putty Cave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-03-2012, 08:38 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Religious diversity is not that good, but cultural is. Sorry, but America is culturally and historically a Christian nation. Just because we have no official state church does not mean Christianity cannot be dominant. We do tolerate other decorations of other religion in public.

Majority rule in many cases

Constitution may be changed soon if the majority or congress decides...
WashingtonPost.com: The Godless Constitution: The Case Against Religious Correctness

This is a good read for you. Good luck changing the constitution and let your majority keep in mind us little folks as you progress. Just remember, Christians like you are loving the war on Christmas, most replies on here from the non religious make it obvious that the war is only being waged in your mind. I believe it's the war you like, not the reasons for it. If you really considered Christmas an important date your majority would stop telling your kids Santa is real and coal will be their hell destiny if they don't follow the words of Christ. I see no move on your majorities part to separate the myth from religious belief when it comes to Christmas. It's hard to take your war plans seriously. Good luck!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Halloween is a Christian holiday, and most of us would love to have it federal holiday. All Saint's Day is a national holiday in many Christian countries, which is the day after Halloween, and same as "Halloween Eve".

I myself want to be favored by the government, and want Christian holidays to be the only religious holidays. This is because America has been culturally and historically a Christian nation, and 8 out of 10 Americans are Christians.

Constitution may be subject to change if majority votes for it. Congress is made by predominately Christians, and I cannot believe they haven't changed it yet.

I'll be happy if we got Good Friday included on federal holiday list, and that's it. We don't need any other law, I promise. I'm for same sex marriage and for abortion.
Your majority has ruled Halloween a satanic filled holiday and hence most churches now celebrate Harvest Day to free the mind of the devil. Google it.

Ditto for same sex and abortion. You are now confusing me on which Christian majority you are talking about. Which majority wants to take over the country? The one that only wants religious holidays? Or the one we see on the news who wants America to hold all Christian values by force? I'm not aware of the holiday only movement, just the later. You're losing me.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Someone needs to listen to the Arthur theme song...................lol

Arthur Opening Theme - YouTube

Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Christmas isn't any more offensive to me than any of the other multitude of religious manifestations which non believers must endure.

Before putting the brakess on Christmas, if there is to be a secular revolution, I'd rather it started with 86ing "God Bless America" from sporting events. Because it is a practice which grew out of patriotic reactions to 9/11, it really is a fusion of church and state, though not one sponsored by the government.

Plus it is a terrible song.....Hey, God, favor our nation over all others...okay? Great, 'preciate it, big fellow."

After cleaning up that dynamic, along with a few other more critical matters such as religious inspired opposition to rational things such as assisted suicide, then we may have the luxury of turning our attention to Christmas and trying to put the X back into Xmas.

A better strategy than a blunderbus attack on the entire holiday might be to kill it in small stages, go after the distinctive elements one at a time until very little is left. We could begin with Christmas music, employing the tactic of seeming to assault it on meritorious grounds. For example, we challenge the legitimacy of singing something as blatantly idiotic as :

Quote:
Christmas has come again
Christmas has come again
And it shall last till Easter!
No that cannot be true
Oh no that cannot be true
Because before Easter
Lent comes
Even as a kid, long before I ceased believing, this song utterly baffled me. I mean, WTF? A song which begins with a pointless lie which is then immediately corrected? That would be like a love song which went...
Oh how I love you so
Oh how I love you so
We have been so happy for decades!
But of course that isn't true
Sorry that isn't true,
Because we never actually met.

Then we go after that inane, innocuous, repetitive, mind numbing "Little Drummer Boy" which seems to have only about ten words in the whole song, but somehow or other has two dozen verses.

Make it a long term strategic operation, chip away at one or two songs a year and within a couple of decades we'll have reduced the songbook to a few immemorial pages. Then we go after decorations or greeting cards.....

Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Since Christmas is a national holiday...
Christmas is NOT a national holiday.

The day that Christmas falls on is one of several of the official national "days off".

Old 12-03-2012, 05:07 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
I always preferred New Year to Christmas.

Christmas is kind of boring. At least at New Year you can go out and have some fun.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:13 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Your majority has ruled Halloween a satanic filled holiday and hence most churches now celebrate Harvest Day to free the mind of the devil. Google it.

Ditto for same sex and abortion. You are now confusing me on which Christian majority you are talking about. Which majority wants to take over the country? The one that only wants religious holidays? Or the one we see on the news who wants America to hold all Christian values by force? I'm not aware of the holiday only movement, just the later. You're losing me.
Therein is one of the problems with Christianity. It is full of sects who believe that they have all the answers and that all the other sects are wrong. For example, the Roman Catholic church believes that Protestants will go to hell while many Protestants firmly believe that the Pope is the anti-Christ.

That lot couldn't agree on a constitutional amendment even if they ever had the opportunity.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:51 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Then we go after that inane, innocuous, repetitive, mind numbing "Little Drummer Boy" which seems to have only about ten words in the whole song, but somehow or other has two dozen verses.
"Mary farted, ba-rump, a-bump, bump"

That's the way I sang it in music class at school when I was a kid. Cracked myself and the other kids up every time. Yeah, I got in trouble for doing so, but it was totally worth it. Catholic School teachers had no sense of humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism