Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:32 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,975,979 times

Advertisements

I can't help but see posts all over my FB page of "we're praying for you" etc. I understand people need comfort in these times but sometimes I can't help but think to myself, You're praying to the "loving" god who gave free will to men to commit these horrific acts then in a twist of irony has you pray to HIM for comfort and love for his mistake. Mind you I'm atheist so I don't believe anyways but thats what I think about when I see these people asking for prayers and gods love in these times. Is that odd or heartless of me? I've donated to the families as my piece to help I think thats way more helpful than simply writing on a page to pray and hope they get through it. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 10:39 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,223,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I can't help but see posts all over my FB page of "we're praying for you" etc. I understand people need comfort in these times but sometimes I can't help but think to myself, You're praying to the "loving" god who gave free will to men to commit these horrific acts then in a twist of irony has you pray to HIM for comfort and love for his mistake. Mind you I'm atheist so I don't believe anyways but thats what I think about when I see these people asking for prayers and gods love in these times. Is that odd or heartless of me? I've donated to the families as my piece to help I think thats way more helpful than simply writing on a page to pray and hope they get through it. Thoughts?

I forget who said this, but two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 AM

9,383 posts, read 13,044,672 times
Quote:
Yes, actions are always more helpful than words, but when someone is asking for "prayer" and "God's love" they're really asking for expressions of solidarity and support. Saying something along the lines of "my heart is with you in these tough times" is a good way of showing sympathy without pandering.

And obviously you know better than to start a theological debate with one of the grieving family members.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 AM

344 posts, read 396,652 times
Quote:
In another forum, someone blamed Satan, and she stated that the shooter "lacked god". The post received a number of positive, agreeing responses. Generally speaking, I feel that the tragedy is not a fitting place to fight over religious/atheist matters, but I had to respond to this woman's post. I stated that god had nothing to do with the shootings and that beckoning god, and blaming Satan, was a waste of intellectual resources that could be better spent pondering realistic ways to avoid such tragedies in the future.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,337,256 times
Many people, believers or not, don't know what to say so they join the bandwagon. I'm an atheist so that word praying is something others do. Sending thoughts? nah..I think of the victims families because it's all you hear in the news, it's gotta be horrendous to find out your kid or your spouse is not ever coming home from that school.
I think the reaching out and sending thoughts and prayers can be helpful to some and then again sending money can do the same, but the families will stand alone, especially as time goes by and people forget. Life will go on for us but it stands still for those who lost a loved one. Now they get all that attention plus they're in shock mostly. It's in later days and months that they really will need help. When the fog lifts and you find that everyone has moved on and is living their life.
People feel the need to do something, they don't want to be left out or seem non caring so they all send condolences and so on...

Old 12-16-2012, 10:57 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,391,385 times
OP, donating $ is absolutely a far better contribution than those paying lip service on Facebook.

I don't mind the pray posts that I see on Facebook. To each their own and all that especially when grieving, and I just skip over them. The ones that REALLY burn me up are the "god's will" and "because god isn't allowed in school" posts.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:17 AM

553 posts, read 1,273,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
OP, donating $ is absolutely a far better contribution than those paying lip service on Facebook.

I don't mind the pray posts that I see on Facebook. To each their own and all that especially when grieving, and I just skip over them. The ones that REALLY burn me up are the "god's will" and "because god isn't allowed in school" posts.

Or worse.."It's my God-given right to own a gun."

Old 12-16-2012, 11:26 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,975,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post

oh god yes those burn me too. I once had a cousin try and tell me that the deaths of men women and children throughout history due to religious wars was validated and not murder because it was "gods will" ... We haven't spoken in 10 years.

I would never say anything to someone about their ways of finding comfort I simply think it to myself and wonder in the irony of praying to a god you believe in while that same god is the one who granted free will to commit acts. Seems counter productive or something. I'm not sure. I can't wrap my mind around what has happened and since I've practically not let go of my own daughter ("Mommy stop it!!") and no religious debates need to be made in these times its just simply an observation/inner thought on my part.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:28 AM

9,383 posts, read 13,044,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
Many people, believers or not, don't know what to say so they join the bandwagon. I'm an atheist so that word praying is something others do. Sending thoughts? nah..I think of the victims families because it's all you hear in the news, it's gotta be horrendous to find out your kid or your spouse is not ever coming home from that school.
I think the reaching out and sending thoughts and prayers can be helpful to some and then again sending money can do the same, but the families will stand alone, especially as time goes by and people forget. Life will go on for us but it stands still for those who lost a loved one. Now they get all that attention plus they're in shock mostly. It's in later days and months that they really will need help. When the fog lifts and you find that everyone has moved on and is living their life.
People feel the need to do something, they don't want to be left out or seem non caring so they all send condolences and so on...
It's not like a person has to choose one or the other.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:53 PM

20,097 posts, read 13,550,188 times
Quote:
I understand people need comfort in these times but sometimes I can't help but think to myself, You're praying to the "loving" god who gave free will to men to commit these horrific acts then in a twist of irony has you pray to HIM for comfort and love for his mistake. Mind you I'm atheist so I don't believe anyways but thats what I think about when I see these people asking for prayers and gods love in these times. Is that odd or heartless of me?
No, you're neither odd nor heartless.

It helps to realize that people feel helpless and anything they might say seems inadequate. For this reason, interceding in prayer seems like at least a positive action of some kind. The thing is, people underestimate the tremendous value of just being present for the suffering. Simple caring and solidarity is by far the most concrete thing you can do in these situations, but people have been taught to think they're helpless without god so getting god's attention and favor seems less lame -- even though it's actually completely ineffective.

Also, at its worst, it can be a deflection of meaningful personal involvement -- it's painful to gaze at this kind of carnage and suffering and if you can palm off your responsibility to comfort the afflicted on god, you get to move on in the mistaken belief that god has it covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism