Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 09:36 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,762,126 times

Advertisements

Frankly I don't see anything remotely supernatural going on in the lives of Christians or any person of faith in God being that Muslim, Jewish,etc. If Christians want to be some "walking testimony" to the power of Jesus, I'm not impressed. They do the same things behavior wise as non believers as far as I can see. I don't see any morally superior actions being done that I don't also see my fellow atheists doing at times. If they are trying to "win souls to Christ" by example, count me out for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 12:24 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,105,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Frankly I don't see anything remotely supernatural going on in the lives of Christians or any person of faith in God being that Muslim, Jewish,etc. If Christians want to be some "walking testimony" to the power of Jesus, I'm not impressed. They do the same things behavior wise as non believers as far as I can see. I don't see any morally superior actions being done that I don't also see my fellow atheists doing at times. If they are trying to "win souls to Christ" by example, count me out for good.
I think this is the issue that led most to my deconversion. Everything else aside, if Christianity could show proof of the life change that it professes is freely available for those who live under the power of the Holy Spirit, I would still be a Christian today. However, it's just not there - and trust me I looked. I sought after it. I thought maybe there was something wrong with me. Then Christians "hijacked," the political right and i began to see its true colors. I think that bold move is what gave me permission to evaluate whether there was any basis to its claims. Suddenly, I realized that there is a lot of lip service given to faith, but in reality leaders (and most Christians) do not believe in the power of God to change lives, instead they attempt to use the institution of the church (and by extension, God) as a means to advance their own political agenda - and they use the people (sheeple) to unknowingly carry it out. In the end, it's all snake oil. That was all I needed to see.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,299,282 times
When I was in the Catholic church they always, ALWAYS said that if we lived good enough lives, people would just radiate to our goodness and convert. But I know so many religious people who are HORRIBLE people and so many atheists who are wonderful people who serve their community. The same is true in reverse. So I've determined it has more to do with the person and nothing to do with religion. An ******* is going to be an *******, whether or not that ******* is holding a Bible.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:21 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
It rains on believers and nonbelievers alike. So far in my life I've seen no tangible benefit to being religious.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
I was talking about this to a friend who's into "alternative" spirituality today, acutally... for a long time, although she rejected Christianity as a religion, she maintained that it was a very powerful and strong and powerful spirituality that was full of good... well, today's conversation was about how much damage it's done to America and the world, and how it's losing steam because people are expecting the payoff from the lies they bought into and they aren't getting. It's a complete and total crock, and I really see absolutely no point in wasting time with it.

Perhaps with some people, the regimentalisation of going to church, praying before dinner, etc. helps with maintaining personal standards; perhaps the constant affirmations of faith serve as a reminder of an ideal to follow; and perhaps the sense of absolution gives people a sense of meaning that allows them to keep going when things are tough.

With me, it was all just a big waste of time for a big fairy tale. Christianity never did anything good for me, the door is closed on it, and I hope that I live to see the day where it is no longer influential in politics or mainstream American life.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 PM

17,810 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I think this is the issue that led most to my deconversion. Everything else aside, if Christianity could show proof of the life change that it professes is freely available for those who live under the power of the Holy Spirit, I would still be a Christian today. However, it's just not there - and trust me I looked. I sought after it. I thought maybe there was something wrong with me. Then Christians "hijacked," the political right and i began to see its true colors. I think that bold move is what gave me permission to evaluate whether there was any basis to its claims. Suddenly, I realized that there is a lot of lip service given to faith, but in reality leaders (and most Christians) do not believe in the power of God to change lives, instead they attempt to use the institution of the church (and by extension, God) as a means to advance their own political agenda - and they use the people (sheeple) to unknowingly carry it out. In the end, it's all snake oil. That was all I needed to see.
I have found that many Christians are the most manipulative people I have ever been around. Most of them are called preachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism