Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 12:13 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,936,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Just because I have always been an atheist doesn't mean I don't need Jesus in my live.

Without him, all my expletives would be sexual.
You mean as in JFC?

Jesus flipping christ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 07:40 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,856,507 times
Depends of who is writing him, I enjoyed the way he was portrayed in the Gospel of Thomas and yes I am quite aware that Thomas is not canon. The book focuses far more on Jesus as a Teacher/Philosopher, less so on apocalyptic end of the world you're going to hell if you don't this or that type shtick. Not a peep about sacrifice or resurrection, a refreshing read compared the canon Gospels. If there actually was a historical Jesus, how he's portrayed in Thomas is probably the closest portrayal you're going to get.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:27 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,802,867 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I treat the philosophy of Jesus as I do any other prescription for living...take from it whatever I find of value, don't concern myself with the rest.
This is how I finally had to view it about Jesus because when I was teetering between agnosticism and christianity, Jesus was the sticking point that kept me on the fence. I didn't want to let go because I thought (overall) that he had to have been real or there wouldn't have been so much written about him and I loved the idea of him. But ultimately I had to put him in the same category as the rest of the Bible.....glean what you can from it and let the rest go.

Quote:
Huh? wtf? Are they sure they heard Jesus correctly? Maybe it was actually "Many are cold, but few are frozen."
Omg, I cracked up when I read this!! I definitely agree about all the parables and this little nugget would make even the most serious christian smile.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:14 AM

20,064 posts, read 13,524,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Omg, I cracked up when I read [many are cold, but few are frozen]!! I definitely agree about all the parables and this little nugget would make even the most serious christian smile.
The way I heard it in my theist days was, "This place might as well be called The First Church of the Frigidaire. Motto: Where many are cold, but few are frozen."

Old 10-09-2013, 09:37 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,698,600 times
He never existed. There is not one historical trace that JC ever existed.

The character of Jesus was a recreation of Horus, Mithras, Krishna, Dionysus and Other Pagan Gods. The important thing here is that Horus, Krishna, Dionysus had solid historical references. None the less their life stories pretty much parallel one another.

Whether Jesus was real or not the character and his teachings are certainly worth following, but not necessary as religion.

If one wants to see the reality of Christ look no further than Christians. Do they reflect the teachings of Christ? Or do they follow in a cafeteria style picking and choosing as they go?

Old 10-09-2013, 12:00 PM

408 posts, read 393,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The way I heard it in my theist days was, "This place might as well be called The First Church of the Frigidaire. Motto: Where many are cold, but few are frozen."
Don't forget "blessed are the cheesemakers."

Old 10-10-2013, 01:13 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,381,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
He never existed. There is not one historical trace that JC ever existed.
Indeed, there are certainly no small number of people who believe just that.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,945,196 times
Yes, but..

How can smart atheists be bamboozled by Joseph Atwill? » Pharyngula

I don't necessarily believe that Jesus was a real person, still I can't buy the conspiracy theory that the Romans intentionally created him.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:10 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,194,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
As for the Jesus described in the Bible, I find his teachings simplistic and self-evident in any civilized society, and I don't see much to be learned from them.
He didn't actually say anything. What little he supposedly said had already been said many times before. And the speaking in parables things was stupid. I mention that, because it goes directly to his character, or lack of, rather. He was never able to give a direct answer to any question, and worse than that, repeatedly contradicted himself.

You truly can learn more -- and learn practical useful things -- from Buddha, or even Marcus Aurelius, than you can from either Testament.

Concurring...

Mircea

Old 10-11-2013, 04:12 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,833,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
What do you atheist think of Jesus Christ? Do you like his teachings on mount of sermon? Do you have Jesus statue or images of him in your car or house?

I myself is an atheist, but I still admire him. May sound silly, but I do have Jesus picture in my house and a cross in my bedroom even though I do not believe in god(s). I do not see Jesus as god, but as an amazing person. Even Gandhi agreed with it.

I hate religion, but love Jesus.
Am I crazy for loving him as an atheist?

You're crazy for thinking anyone would actually believe that you're an atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism