Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 06:10 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times

Advertisements

I wonder what happened to our OP? Just from the methodology, and the relatively quick ban, I expect this was a familiar face...

Oh, well at least the questions were interesting...

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
[quote=jellin;31466961]Questions for theists (I've always wanted to know):

Puts on Theist hat.. (1) (I can't resist this)

1. Do you make your own decisions about life and religion or does you family and friends make them for you?
The man is head of the house, as Paul said 1st Corinthians 11:2. As to others, whoever Speaks With The Authority of God I take my cue from

2. Do you go to the movies, use electric light, x-rays (all invented by atheists)?
..Inspired by God. Yes, of course.

3. Are you pleased that the Allies won WW2 (thanks to atheist inventions including the Nazi code breaker and several Manhattan project scientists)?
As I say, inspired by God....and Hitler was more atheist that those inventors were. Incidentally, the H bomb was invented by Einstein under the orders of Eisenhower, who were both believers in God.

4. Have you read and enjoyed books by Virginia Woolf, HG Wells, Gore Vidal, Robert Louis Stevenson, Arthur Miller, Jack London, or Isaac Asimov - did you know they were all atheists and does that change your views of their work?
They only thought they were atheists. In fact they were inspired by God. It must tend to make me feel sad that they failed to realize this and give credit to their creator.

5. Why can't you just mind your own business about whether people call themselves atheist, secular or whatever they hell they want?
Jesus told us to go forth and multiply.. nope, sorry, that's after the church social..I mean go forth and preach to all nations Mark 16.15.

6. Have you ever been to Europe or Canada and stopped to think about why those places aren't full of churches and dominated by overtly religious people like some parts of America?
They are not 'God's country'. The USA is a Christian nation, under God. And in God we trust. It says so on the banknotes.

7. Do you wish America would expel people who don't believe in God (or alternatively that such people were banned from expressing their views)?
I can't help feeling that would be a good idea. If they don't like living in a Christian nation, why don't they leave?

8. What if your children or spouse start reading Richard Dawkins and stop going to church?
I would gently and lovingly remind them that they are placing their immortal souls in deadly peril of eternal torment.

9. If you get serious sick / old - will you refuse to take treatment from a Dr who is an atheist or in a hospital that is not Christian?
...If I can't find one where they are, but I can always bring in friends and family to get the ward singing hymns of praise to God when I get better - just to let those atheist doctors know who really deserves the credit.

10. Why are you so certain about religion when it is not backed by science?
God told me personally. You can't beat that with the theories of science.

11. Do you rely upon evidence when making decisions in your day to day life, or do you prefer to pray when making big decisions like where to buy a house, which airline to fly with etc?
I pray for guidance in making my decision. Then use the evidence to make the decision.

12. Would you rather live next door to an atheist/Jew/Muslim?
I'd rather live next to a Christian. I could be accommodating about the church they went to.

13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Buddhism, Druidism or atheism?
None of them: I with God's help would live under Christianity, even if I was the only one doing it.

(1) http://www.refinedguy.com/wp-content...crop_exact.jpg

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-19-2013 at 08:05 AM..

Old 09-19-2013, 07:59 AM

350 posts, read 710,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful Forever View Post
I have always wondered these.... Please answer

1. Does anyone in your family/friends know you are an atheist/agnostic? Yes
2. Do you celebrate Christian holidays of Christmas and Easter? Sort of.
3. Will you baptize your child if your spouse wanted? Sure.
4. Do you consider Jesus as a great person and philosopher? No because I'm not sure Jesus even existed.
5. Why can't you just call yourself for "secular" rather than atheist, agnostic or nonbeliever? OK.
6. How do you feel being surrounded by churches, God mentioned all the time, etc. in your daily life? I don't care other than the churches don't pay taxes and the propagate most likely incorrect information.
7. Do you wish America was officially an atheist country? Is it possible to even be officially anything? Otherwise, no but I really don't know the impacts so I will defer. I just don't know.
8. What if your children or spouse want to believe in God, pray, wear cross, etc.? What will you do? Tell them they are probably wrong.
9. If you get serious sick / old - will you start believe in God and ask for prayers? Not unless I am mentally ill, delusional, or hallucinating. But I really don't know what will happen when I get sick or old. I don't even know what will happen tomorrow.
10. Why can't you just believe without questioning/be in doubt about God's existence without going to church, pray, etc.? Believing is useless and inefficient. It accomplishes nothing. Everything is either known or assessed a probability of being true.
11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze? I say "goddam you!" (seriously)
12. Would you rather live/buy a house next to a mosque, synagogue or church if you had to pick/choose? Meaning pick one? Or not live by either? Too much traffic so not by any.
13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Christian or Islamic theocracy? xian since in the us things would be smoother.
14. What do you think about Islam? just another flavor of brainwashed people.

Thank you so much.
responses above.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:51 AM

51 posts, read 328,010 times
Quote:

1. Does anyone in your family/friends know you are an atheist/agnostic?
2. Do you celebrate Christian holidays of Christmas and Easter?
3. Will you baptize your child if your spouse wanted?
4. Do you consider Jesus as a great person and philosopher?
5. Why can't you just call yourself for "secular" rather than atheist, agnostic or nonbeliever?
6. How do you feel being surrounded by churches, God mentioned all the time, etc. in your daily life?
7. Do you wish America was officially an atheist country?
8. What if your children or spouse want to believe in God, pray, wear cross, etc.? What will you do?
9. If you get serious sick / old - will you start believe in God and ask for prayers?
10. Why can't you just believe without questioning/be in doubt about God's existence without going to church, pray, etc.?
11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze?
12. Would you rather live/buy a house next to a mosque, synagogue or church if you had to pick/choose?
13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Christian or Islamic theocracy?
14. What do you think about Islam?

Thank you so much.

1. Yes, almost everyone knows

2. Christmas and Easter aren't "Christian" holidays, they're pagan but yeah I celebrate Christmas, Easter not so much.

3. No.

4. Not really.

5. Because secular and agnostic don't equate to Atheist.

6. Wish I didn't have to but I could care less as long and no one tries to tell me I'm going to burn in hell for not believing in their imaginary god.

7. No, I just wished people would think more critically in their everyday lives and not believe things on bad evidence.

8. That's their choose as a human being. I wouldn't love them any less.

9. No.

10. Because my brain won't let me.

11. No.

12. Synagogue.

13. Neither.

14. It's crap.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:

5. Why can't you just call yourself for "secular" rather than atheist, agnostic or nonbeliever?
Would WOULD I? Is there some reason to not want to call myself what I am?

Quote:
6. How do you feel being surrounded by churches, God mentioned all the time, etc. in your daily life?
I wish it were the free country it purports to be, free of "christian" influence in our political process.

Quote:
8. What if your children or spouse want to believe in God, pray, wear cross, etc.? What will you do?
Um. Nothing? They are not me.
Quote:
9. If you get serious sick / old - will you start believe in God and ask for prayers?
I cannot understand what my sickness would have to do with someone else' existence or non-existence.
Quote:
10. Why can't you just believe without questioning/be in doubt about God's existence without going to church, pray, etc.?
Again, why would I want to do that? I have been too old for fairy tales for years. Reality is magical and wonderful enough.

Quote:
11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze?
12. Would you rather live/buy a house next to a mosque, synagogue or church if you had to pick/choose?
13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Christian or Islamic theocracy?
Would you choose chocolate ignorance or vanilla ignorance?

Quote:

They as mired in ignorance as the rest.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:01 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times

1. Does anyone in your family/friends know you are an atheist/agnostic? Yes
2. Do you celebrate Christian holidays of Christmas and Easter? No
3. Will you baptize your child if your spouse wanted? No (will not be having offspring anyway)
4. Do you consider Jesus as a great person and philosopher? No opinion, I don't think about him or whether he existed
5. Why can't you just call yourself for "secular" rather than atheist, agnostic or nonbeliever? Secular is less well-known word, atheism is my non-belief belief
6. How do you feel being surrounded by churches, God mentioned all the time, etc. in your daily life? Creeped out, peer-pressured
7. Do you wish America was officially an atheist country? Not sure I want us to officially be anything
8. What if your children or spouse want to believe in God, pray, wear cross, etc.? What will you do? N/A
9. If you get serious sick / old - will you start believe in God and ask for prayers? Hope not-I'll be pleading with science to hurry up & get some research work done is more like it
10. Why can't you just believe without questioning/be in doubt about God's existence without going to church, pray, etc.? None of it makes any sense to me as a mindset
11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze? Sure, I'll swear (like, OMG), but that's a cultural habit formed in childhood, means nothing real/supernatural to me
12. Would you rather live/buy a house next to a mosque, synagogue or church if you had to pick/choose? Whichever is quietest & has least extremists
13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Christian or Islamic theocracy? No way either one would tolerate me, nor I it.
14. What do you think about Islam? I don't think about it, it's just another religion, all of which leave me unmoved.

Thank you so much.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:22 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:

1. Does anyone in your family/friends know you are an atheist/agnostic? Yes. Most, but not all.
2. Do you celebrate Christian holidays of Christmas and Easter? I celebrate Xmas in a secular manner. No religious service or anything. I pay no attention to Easter
3. Will you baptize your child if your spouse wanted?No
4. Do you consider Jesus as a great person and philosopher?No
5. Why can't you just call yourself for "secular" rather than atheist, agnostic or nonbeliever? I can, and do. I also call myself an atheist. The words have different meanings and are appropriate in different contexts.
6. How do you feel being surrounded by churches, God mentioned all the time, etc. in your daily life?It annoys me.
7. Do you wish America was officially an atheist country? No. I wish the majority of people were atheists, but government should stay out of people's beliefs.
8. What if your children or spouse want to believe in God, pray, wear cross, etc.? What will you do?tolerate it. Tell them I think that their beliefs are silly when we discuss it.
9. If you get serious sick / old - will you start believe in God and ask for prayers?how can anyone answer that? I very much doubt it, as I cannot conceive of a reason for me to do so. This seems to imply that you think atheists secretly believe in god, but simply deny god. That's really not how it works.
10. Why can't you just believe without questioning/be in doubt about God's existence without going to church, pray, etc.? because the god story makes no sense. Alternately, why should I?
11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze?no
12. Would you rather live/buy a house next to a mosque, synagogue or church if you had to pick/choose?probably a synagogue. Church bells and the call to prayer are noise pollution.
13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Christian or Islamic theocracy?i would not want to live under either, but I see relatively little difference between the two
14. What do you think about Islam?it is about as bad as Christianity.

Thank you so much.
You're welcome.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:19 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,447 times
Yes

Yes for the most part. My family members are Christian and I like certain Christian traditions (namely Winter Solstice/Christmas - yeah presents!!!!).

No. If he wanted the kids baptized then I would suggest he at least wait until they understand what they are doing and it should be their choice, which I would respect.

Some of the messages attributed to him are worthy of note. But great person? No.

Because atheist is accurate, secular has a different meaning.

It's amusing. People will believe anything.

No, just secular.

I'm not a control freak. It is their choice.

Absolutely not. However, if it makes someone else feel better to pray for me then so be it but I'll just think they are wasting their time.

Because I'm not the type of person to blindly follow anything without questioning its validity.

11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze? Sure.

None of the above. The traffic they bring can be crazy.

Neither. I loath theocracies. I'd be burned at the stake/hanged/stoned in both systems. Oh joy.

14. What do you think about Islam? It's just another fairytale belief system based on the teachings of a pervert.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:43 AM

11,370 posts, read 9,286,148 times
1. Does anyone in your family/friends know you are an atheist/agnostic? - Yes

2. Do you celebrate Christian holidays of Christmas and Easter? - NO!

3. Will you baptize your child if your spouse wanted? - N/A

4. Do you consider Jesus as a great person and philosopher? - No solid evidence a person named Jesus even existed.

5. Why can't you just call yourself for "secular" rather than atheist, agnostic or nonbeliever? - Atheist = Free of theism. I find this question offensive, like there is something wrong with it. I like the word atheist!

6. How do you feel being surrounded by churches, God mentioned all the time, etc. in your daily life? - I'd rather not hear about this silly superstition but that's the way it is.

7. Do you wish America was officially an atheist country? - No. There is nothing wrong with freedom to believe or not to believe.

8. What if your children or spouse want to believe in God, pray, wear cross, etc.? What will you do? - N/A. My girlfriend is atheist, just like me. She is too smart to buy into the nonsense.

9. If you get serious sick / old - will you start believe in God and ask for prayers? - Another ridiculous question. Frankly it insults my intelligence. Praying = begging and does not do any good. Same results will be had by talking to a rock.

10. Why can't you just believe without questioning/be in doubt about God's existence without going to church, pray, etc.? - Because believing in an invisible being is silly.

11. Do you use any religious terms such as "bless you" e.g. when somebody sneeze? - No. I treat it the same as someone making any unwanted noise coming from their body, I ignore it.

12. Would you rather live/buy a house next to a mosque, synagogue or church if you had to pick/choose? - LOL! Is this a serious question? What atheist would want that?

13. If you had to pick, would you rather live under Christian or Islamic theocracy? There is no choice for me to give an honest answer.

14. What do you think about Islam? - Same as another religion only (in most cases) more extreme.

Last edited by John13; 09-21-2013 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-21-2013, 11:43 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,222 times
Yes. Everyone who is close to me knows.

I celebrate those holidays, but they are not Christian. Cultures the world over have celebrated at the equinoxes and the solstices, and Christians piggybacked the holidays that existed at the time of the religion's creation.

My kids are older, but no. I also wouldn't marry someone whose worldview was so philosophically different from mine.

I have no evidence that he actually existed. As depicted, he is much like a horoscope. People can read what they wish into his life and find value to enjoy and appreciate.

I believe it was you who called me an atheist. See the thread title, and then ask yourself the question.

I am surrounded by all kinds of differences. I "feel" that is how the world is.

No. I wish that the country was government without regard to religion, as the Constitution required.

I will respect what they choose.

No. I have found that I make my way through hardships much better now than when I was a Christian.

I'll let you answer that one for yourself. Please choose one thing you do not believe. Now believe it without questioning. Let me know how it works out.

No.

I have not problem living near any of those facilities.

Ultimately, there would be no difference.

I don't think about it at all. The difference between Islamic and Christian moderates is virtually nothing. the difference between Christian and Islamic fundamentalists is a few hundred years and half the globe. End the end...virtually nothing as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism