Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:53 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times

Advertisements

(Chosen out of a group of 7 or 8 "possibles" that included several Nobel Award recipients...)

A special note to all of our knee-jerk anti-Dawkins non-thinker crowd here who have been rote-chant trained by their vividly narrow-minded church or those Koo-koo Khristian websites to automatically hate him:

Richard Dawkins named world's top thinker in poll | Books | The Guardian

Yup: a biased & untrained idiot for sure!

And, as duly announced today, his new book...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2013/0...tes-the-poison

Dawkins was interviewed this morning on NPR as an intro to his new (and likely..best seller to be..) book...

An Appetite for Wonder; The Making of a Scientist

(see: Amazon,com Then buy and <gasp!> read it. And THEN... <ahem...> consider, even if briefly, his ideas, instead of the usual theist's auto-dismissal and vile diatribes! )

It's obvious to the thinking side of the so-called "arguments" on C-D's R&P sub here, that an individual can be (and in Richard's case, so obviously is...)the beneficiary of a superb mind in many other specific areas of thought.

Dr. Dawkins' outstanding genetic research and his science-based and published conclusions are proof of his mental capacity to "suss" things out in a thorough, and often later, and very well-presented and published manner.

You cannot just dismiss him because you don't like his ideas, and then claim your sole reason is that he does not happen to have another separate degree in journalism!

Else, can we all chant "mindless criticism" together here?

Those ongoing rabid dismissals of Dawkins so often given here, as though he must necessarily limit his book topics to "questionable genetic topics" [as one moron here has claimed...] are as vacuous as is intellectually possible, and more than demonstrable of a truly closed mind.

The shiver-inducing fear that Dawkins' mind and discussions so obviously engender in those whose spiritual life is dependent on their Bronze-age belief system, is in direct proportion to his v. high intellectual capability (his IQ has been claimed to be north of 180..).

Now.. as well, isn't spiritual hubris and jealousy of other's mental abilities also a noted Christian sin? I think so! No wonder it's now being so wholeheartedly chucked out the now-sagging and $$$-unsupported church doors across America! Good thing our minds and our children's school educations in science and thinking are finally coming of age in this, the most theistically out-of-date country in the world. And so.. here's a special modern-day thanx to the likes of Dr. Dawkins!

To the denialists however, his smarter ideas and inarguable presentations "obviously" mean an ever-more EVil™ individual. Oddly, these jealous types gather round the intellectually bereft ideas that they continue to defend, ever drawn [by fear of the claimed consequences, one can imagine...] to their proudly held essence of non-thought like moths to the infernal but deadly flame of truth...

Yup: 'tis truly the stuff of the benevolent, open and consistently Christian mind...

Meantime, the level of their thoughtless & damning vitriol is in directly inverse proportion to Dawkins' presentations. Seems when someone of such monumental capability as the good Doctor comes along to present their various but very defensible viewpoints, they are then focused on by the church and it's spectacularly nonsensical websites with their endless streams of absurdly inaccurate, or purposefully mis-represented... concepts.

The fear in such responses, as I have pointed out so often now, is palpable. The total inability of denialists to logically defend the Christian viewpoint, goes ballistic when they are faced with Dawkins' inarguable level of atheism. They simply WILL NOT EVER ANSWER, and that alone should cause, at the very least, an involuntary intellectual "wiggle" within the folks here who might be on the fence.

Intellectually conclusive atheism most always comes only in later life, most often to a post-church-brainwashed child, after those start-up thinkers take even a brief moment, as I did, in my late teens and early 20s as a once-devout Christian...to review the silliness. (As with Dawkins, it was in his teens, shortly after he realized the level of Christian abuse he'd endured up to about his 13th or 14th birthday..).

Such illumination is then well supported by the difficult realization of just exactly what the church was indeed up to with those kids placed in their charge, and into their obvious brainwashing systemics at weekly Sunday School. [/i]("Now children, remember! God is watching ,and He will smite you if you don't do as I tell you...")[/i]

"Therefore said the Lord, who has power to slay both body and soul in hell-fire.

How? When the ungodly shall be cast into hell-fire, will his body and his soul burn there?

Everlasting punishment will be the death of the body; the absence of God will be the death of the soul.

Would you know what the death of the soul is? Understand the Prophet who says, Let the ungodly be taken away, that he may not see the glory of the Lord."

OMG, huh? See what you are bound for if'n you don't immediately grab up your bible and head out to church? (with your wallet in pocket, naturally...)

Such anti-science naysayers, not having actually read any of Dawkins' substantial other works, still maintain themselves to be supposedly honest and benevolent Christians, and therefore should be mightily ashamed, esp. in the eyes of their oh-so-judgmental Godhead entity, for their knee-jerk cruel focus! The facts on their behavior always prove otherwise!

Best of luck with your minds, my friends, and to my enemies: get one, OK?

Last edited by rifleman; 09-24-2013 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 11:19 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Thanks for posting Rifleman.
Good to see people of intelligence getting recognition.

Interesting too to see the other names on the list.
World Thinkers 2013

Glad to see Peter Higgs getting in there, high in the list. Still the Nobel Prizes are on their way in October so that's what I've got my eye on. I was chatting to a physicist the other day about this and apparently it's not so cut and dried. The strict rules are, they will only apparently award Nobel prizes for the same discovery to 3 people maximum, but Peter Higgs is one of a team of four people. Given Peter Higgs is 84 and his colleagues of a similar age, they might either have to wait for one of them to die or make the first exception ever with this case. So it will be interesting to see what happens there.

Last edited by Cruithne; 09-24-2013 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-24-2013, 11:53 AM

995 posts, read 956,216 times
Nobel peace prize lost all credibility when they got political. If you win that prize, you are in line with the likes of Jimmy Carter, and Barak Obama (who did NOTHING to deserve it). If I were to win that prize, I would be in my right mind to turn it down and tell them to stick it.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:15 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
Nobel peace prize lost all credibility when they got political. If you win that prize, you are in line with the likes of Jimmy Carter, and Barak Obama (who did NOTHING to deserve it). If I were to win that prize, I would be in my right mind to turn it down and tell them to stick it.
The Nobel Peace Prize is distinct from the Noble Prizes in Physics, Chemistry, Literature, Medicine, and Economics. Higgs is up for a Nobel in Physics. Fortunately the Nobels in other areas have a bit more credibility.

-NoCapo

Old 09-24-2013, 12:22 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
I think you have to view the Nobel peace prize separately from the other prizes in Physics, Chemistry or Medicine. Those prizes are very much coveted.
I think it would be crying shame for Higgs not to be awarded one in his lifetime. After all he will be aligned with people like Albert Einstein and Richard Feynman - who wouldn't want that?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:30 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Dr. Dawkins given The World's Top Thinker award today.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:46 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Richard Dawkins on the Simpsons...

Richard Dawkins on The Simpsons - YouTube

Old 09-24-2013, 06:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
I'm not familiar with Dr. Dawkins outside of the references to him on this forum.

But to win an award with such a prestigious title is impressive indeed - given that those casting a ballot knew their butts* from a garage door - which I must assume they did.

(The censor function here is annoying. I do try my darndest to circumvent it without completely losing the spirit and nuance of the word(s) I would prefer to use.)

Old 09-24-2013, 10:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Saw him on the Daily Show tonight. Seems an affable sort, hardly the fire-breathing, atheist zealot some here have painted him.

He made a point of differentiating between fundamentalists and more liberal religionists - aiming his disdain for the former.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:24 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Dr. Dawkins....I think a very smart, intelligent, probing scientist. He certainly has pushed the envelope when it comes to the examination of God, theology, science and the meaning of human life. I know how he thinks about fundamentalists and I do wonder what his deep opinion is of theologians. Interesting that I didn't see one on the list of thinkers. Where are they hiding? Or are they being hidden from us?! Not sure if it's just survey bias or the fact that the fellow has ostensibly 'won' the God War. And to tell you the truth it would be nice if he could design an experiment to settle this God stuff once and for all. But even a great scientist knows the limitations he's under. Nevertheless he at least makes people think and use their heads for something else besides a hat rack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism