Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 04:36 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,355,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iohanan View Post
Hi all atheists, what answer would you give to the following questions?

1- Why is there something rather than nothing (nothing being the non-existence of anything at all)?

2-If there is no God, is there good and evil, also called moral values? (No, there isn't) How could you come to the conclusion that helping is good and killing is bad?

3- If you believe that God is just a human idea and doesn't exist, than you have to consider that the moral values are also just human ideas and are not true in reality. If that is so, being you someone who was taught about the moral values since your childhood, how could you believe in your perspective of reality, once your own mind was built based in something that isn't actually true (moral values) by your own perspective?

Thanks!
1. We know something exists, because we are something and we exist. I am not sure how all that is came to be.

2. Not all helping is good, and not all killing is bad...but I generally view helping as good and killing as bad for the same reasons the creator of this thread probably does.

3. This is unintelligible jibber jabber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 04:39 PM

50 posts, read 66,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Okay, but if you use the search feature you will find these questions have been done to death.

Why not? I really don't know and I don't think the answer is knowable.

I don't believe in "evil". Of course "good" exists. So does "bad". Have you ever heard of the Golden Rule?

Yes, moral values are just human ideas. Define what "true" means to you. I'll bet your definition is not the same as mine. Therefore, the last part of your question is not logical to me.
Sorry but the Golden Rule is bullsh*t based. "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself." Ok. How about if you adopt two children and have sex with them. ???

Old 11-02-2013, 04:43 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,355,463 times
Quote:
Sorry but the Golden Rule is bullsh*t based. "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself." Ok. How about if you adopt two children and have sex with them. ???
Evidently, you were a weird little kid...if that's how you'd like to be treated.

Don't treat others like you'd want to be treated. Treat them how most people would like to be treated

Old 11-02-2013, 04:46 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
I certainly know you never read the epic book from C. S. Lewis called "The Abolition of Man". Check it. I The ideas of democracy, etc, are not in the Bible because these things are politics.
Completely irrelevant - you are the one peddling the idea that moral values can only come from the Bible.

Quote:
Freedom and equality are in the Bible.
Oh, please. The Bible is a litany of the subservience of women to men, of enslavement, of one moral horror after another.

Quote:
Science doesn't explain how natural it is.
What science explains very clearly is morality.
The Origins of Virtue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Francis Collins, director of the Human Genome Project, for example, is a Christian who admits that this issue defends the existence of God.
Appeal to authority - you've managed to find the rare biologist who isn't an atheist. I'm sure you're utterly convinced that those exceptions are far more relevant than the rule.

I notice you had no answer for my question. No surprise - when reality doesn't jibe with the way you insist things are, you just ignore it. Part and parcel for apologists such as yourself.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:37 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,928 times
1- Why is there something rather than nothing (nothing being the non-existence of anything at all)?

We wouldn't be having this conversation if we weren't here.

2-If there is no God, is there good and evil, also called moral values? (No, there isn't) How could you come to the conclusion that helping is good and killing is bad?

Same way you decide to call human sacrifice and slavery in the bible a "metaphor" and child beating and stoning an instruction.

3- If you believe that God is just a human idea and doesn't exist, than you have to consider that the moral values are also just human ideas and are not true in reality. If that is so, being you someone who was taught about the moral values since your childhood, how could you believe in your perspective of reality, once your own mind was built based in something that isn't actually true (moral values) by your own perspective?

Maybe this would make sense if you asked it in your first language?

Old 11-02-2013, 08:44 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
Quote:

2- Communists killed more than all religions together in just one century. They were not religious at all. It doesn't matter if church fails sometimes or not, the thing is there is no moral values without religion, simply because there is nothing in nature that affirms the values.
t.
So? That just establishes that the Reds were more efficient killers than Yahweh, hardly a rehabilitation of the latter.

Further, I wasn't talking about religion doing the killing, I was talking hands on, no middle man slaughter by Yahweh. Like when he wiped out all the first born sons of Egypt, or drowned Pharaoh's army in the Red Sea....or the Great Flood when Yahweh really went berserk and killed everyone except Noah and his family.

So, if we determine champions on the basis of percentages, Yahweh leaves the commies in the dust.

And thank you so much for taking my post seriously, you made my day.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:49 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
That isn't true. You can just be good and atheist because you grew up in a society that already have these values. And it came from religion. Check "The Abolition of Man", by C. S. Lewis.
I think it's the other way around. Humans had empathy before they invented gods and religion.

I also think black and white authoritarian fundamentalist religions stifle the natural development of empathy in humans.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:54 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
No, it's not. It's based on empathy.

Your comment about having sex with children is highly disturbing. We have come a long way from the barbaric 'morals' of Biblical times and YHWH.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:59 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,486,679 times
Quote:
Hi all atheists, what answer would you give to the following questions?

Thanks!
1. Total chance. As someone else mentioned, if chance hadn't led to us, we wouldn't be here to ask about it.

2. Of course morals/ethics exist. But they aren't absolute. My morals are slightly different than my husband's morals, and different from my friends' morals. My morals are VERY different than people in other cultures around the world. If morals were an absolute, dictated by a higher power, wouldn't all cultures have the same basic moral structure, regardless of their religious beliefs?

3. No idea what this paragraph is saying, but I believe my answer to #2 covers it.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:06 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,931,186 times
Why do people who are illogical take part in a logical debate? It makes absolutely no sense. There are no real thoughtful answers on this thread. It's kind of amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism