Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:29 PM

841 posts, read 2,260,592 times

Advertisements

^ Topic

While your thinking enjoy Carlin's Brilliance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuOBf-39t64
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 01:14 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,475,106 times
I always knew deep down it was all corrupt, the whole organized religion thing. But around age 12 is when it really hit me that it was all BS created for the sole purposes of mind control and order.

Yes, George Carlin had it right on.

I will not defend Catholicism, but I find the Pentacostal, Baptist, Lutheran, and all those goofballs to be more pushy with their religion. How many times will you come back to your car in a parking lot and find a Catholic flyer under your windshield wiper? Probably never. However, many of these fanatical denominations truly believe they can save the world.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
I reached the "age of reason" (good way of putting it) when I was 22. However, I didn't convert to Catholicism until I was 19. It's amazing what a pretty girl can do to one's brain.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:42 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
I used to laugh my tookis off to ole George back in the 60's and 70's.

When I "came of age" in the early 90's and coverted to a Papist, I saw poor ole George as a bitter and angry old man.

However, his reference to Jesus on top of the empire state building did reveal a loving side to him.

I do agree with him about alot of the hypocrisy, and appreciate his thought provoking critiques of our institutions and traditions. I just wish he'd done it with a little less venom.

He will be missed. And I hope he is now at peace.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:47 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,926 times
About age 6 or 7, I wondered if any of the people (my family members) even understood what the heck we were all reciting while doing the stand-up-sit-down-kneel ritual, I knew that I didn't and I didn't believe anyone else was much moved by it all, just more like torture....
Regardless, I ended up getting my degree from Catholic University in D.C. go figure...I guess I need to learn more and more about the Catholic thought process just to make sure!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:40 PM

690 posts, read 2,107,744 times
I haven't thought of the hat situation before...thanks for sharing the clip.

Also, the ritual stuff really bothers me. Mindless group rituals = group think = cults = bad.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:06 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,362,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I always knew deep down it was all corrupt, the whole organized religion thing. But around age 12 is when it really hit me that it was all BS created for the sole purposes of mind control and order.

Yes, George Carlin had it right on.

I will not defend Catholicism, but I find the Pentacostal, Baptist, Lutheran, and all those goofballs to be more pushy with their religion. How many times will you come back to your car in a parking lot and find a Catholic flyer under your windshield wiper? Probably never. However, many of these fanatical denominations truly believe they can save the world.
As a wayward Catholic I agree with most of this. But what organized religion is as fat as the Catholics? What other religion has a church, a grade school, a high school, a university and a hospital available for just about every paying American? These other guys you can think of as scrappy up-and-comers, like the Avis's of organized religion, trying a little harder, just what the Catholics would be doing if they had to. What is it, almost $7,000 a year to go to a Catholic High School these days? I can remember when it was about $500. People cling to the Catholic church like all religions, for solace, out of habit, as a touchstone to guarantee them special mention in the Hereafter, though Catholics seem to be especially habitual while at the same time some of the most cynical of all religious people. Maybe because they were so strict, that people had to start drawing outside the lines. Then don't forget you could go to Confession every weeks, if you'd been busy, and get to start all over. You (in the general sense), are going to tell me that there's not something brilliant, something admirably imaginative or just humorous about a bunch of guys in robes that come up with something like that? I mean as destructive as it can be in its implications, it's just too beautiful.

Myself, though baptized, communed, confirmed, I didn't go to a Catholic school until high school, and so I never was really hooked in the first place to have to come to reason. I always knew it was ridiculous too. Other than the pageantry, the music, the colors, the insense, I'd feel nothing but boredom in mass, one that was conducted in Latin when I was a kid, and I found out when they later started doing them in English, was a good thing. Oh, some priests were good guys, some of them had something to say, but for the most part they were lost souls living somebody else's lie. Not that they didn't believe in their calling, or that thier vows were taken frivolously, but because of the greed of the Catholic church were forced to live unnatural lives. At one time, Roman Catholic priests were allowed to marry, but when the church was in real financial trouble it realized the expenses of carrying a priest's family plus and that his estate would go to his wife and kids when he died, was just bad business.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:03 AM

432 posts, read 1,659,678 times
I don't know when I first doubted the Catholic faith,but I am sure didn't go to church,when I became 18 as a legal adult...

Remember you guys,Jesus was a sheperd (The Master) and there were his sheeps (Mindless Drones)!

Old 02-28-2009, 12:37 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
Yeah, I didn't think much of the fish analogy either. I'm not 'hooked' any more!

The Mass being in Latin added to the exoticism, the 'mystery'. When it went to English, it was evident how absurd it all was.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,785 times
I guess I reached the age of reason around age 28 or 29, Like they say, better late than never, jaja.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism