Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:27 AM

705 posts, read 1,111,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Purgatory is not hell you know. I guess you missed that lesson. Plus it was called Limbo and Limbo has been dropped by the church since we were little. The bottom line is the church believe all those babies go to heaven. Give us a break, geesh!!!

"Purgatory is not hell you know." DUHHHHHHH!

I didnt say or imply that purgatory WAS hell! The point is that any reference to any celestial, non-earthly or outer space place is udderly ridiculous. Limbo, mimbo, mumbo or jumbo, what ever all the delusional people want to call it. Any adult should be ashamed at having let psychologically unfit people teach that non-sense to their kids.

If the church believes all those babies go to heaven, cool, no problem. What does that have to do with what was taught to me and other kids.

I'm responding to the OP's question with some explanation and expounding on the theme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 08:25 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,961,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Their personal reasons for leaving a religion might be spurious, but I suppose it is their place to say why.

Thomas, what do you mean by spurious - that people are making up their or lying about their reasons for leaving?

Old 06-05-2010, 08:02 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,579,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Thomas, what do you mean by spurious - that people are making up their or lying about their reasons for leaving?
I mean people who left Catholicism because "Catholicism teaches X and I can't agree with that" when it in fact does not teach X. Or people who reject it for reasons that strike me as clearly illogical.

For example you'll occasionally get Evangelicals come up to Catholics and say "I used to be Catholic, but I couldn't tolerate how it forbids you from praying directly to Christ or reading the Bible." It forbids neither thing. There was some restrictions on Bible study at one time, but those mostly ended in the 1890s or earlier so it's unlikely they ever experienced them. (Granted some Evangelicals who say these things, and add the "I used to be Catholic", are possibly lying or were only Catholic in a "My Dad was a lapsed Catholic and I went to Mass once" kind of way)

Likewise I've met a fair amount of Catholics who essentially say "My priest was a jerk and therefore Catholicism is wrong." Whether one authority within a group is or isn't a jerk does not really tell us whether something is right or wrong. If someone said "My English Literature Professor came-on to me in a creepy way and therefore English Literature is for perverts" this would clearly be unfair or illogical.

That's the kind of thing I meant. If someone said "I left because the Supremacy of the Pope does not strike me as justifiable" or "I left because all Catholic ideas on God strike me as unlikely" that would be, IMO, valid reasons to leave and not spurious.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 890 times
I did 13 years in Catholic School. First grade to 1 year of college. It certainly cured me of religion. I reached the age of reason at 7 which was about the time of the ecumenical council which changed all the rules about sin. I questioned the priest and asked if we would get credit for all the sins we had done penance for and now were not sins and promptly was sent to the principals office. I realized even at that early age that if you can change the rules in the middle of the game then man was running things not God and if there was a god why wasn't he stopping them from messing
up his rules. Religion is an invention of man to control the weaker minded masses. If everyone could simply treat everyone else the way they want to be treated we would not need all the churches to collect money and tell us what sins we have committed.

Last edited by virgokennewick; 11-14-2013 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-14-2013, 12:38 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,533,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
"Purgatory is not hell you know." DUHHHHHHH!

I didnt say or imply that purgatory WAS hell! The point is that any reference to any celestial, non-earthly or outer space place is udderly ridiculous. Limbo, mimbo, mumbo or jumbo, what ever all the delusional people want to call it. Any adult should be ashamed at having let psychologically unfit people teach that non-sense to their kids.

If the church believes all those babies go to heaven, cool, no problem. What does that have to do with what was taught to me and other kids.

I'm responding to the OP's question with some explanation and expounding on the theme.
So you would also say Jesus was a psycho? He taught these things.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:13 AM

5,519 posts, read 3,947,336 times
Quote:
So you would also say Jesus was a psycho? He taught these things.
It took you three and a half years to formulate this response?

Joking. Kind of.

Assuming Jesus truly thought he was the son of "god", then he was delusional/"psycho", yes. Even in 2013, Jerusalem Syndrome is alive and well. Or maybe he was an L Ron Hubbard prototype...maybe he thought a claim of divinity was the best way into Mary Magdalene's pants (well, she was a prostitute according to lore, so I guess there were other ways--maybe he was just really frugal).

I don't think we can have any idea about what it was like to be a human in ~30 C.E. I can no longer even conceive of what it would it be like to have to trade the scientific and philosophical progress of the last two millennia in for the superstitions of the [relatively distant, at least given this context] past. Genetically similar, environmentally alien....

Oh, and re: the very stale OP, for me it was probably when I was 17, as a freshman in college. Philosophy 103, Philosophy Of Human Nature gets much of the credit for revolutionizing the way I thought and setting me up for the panic attack-ridden next few years of my life. I went to Catholic school K-12, and although I tended towards irreverence (as a personality trait) from middle school-age onwards, I did not renounce my religion until after high school.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:01 AM

virgokennewick resurrected this thread. I just read the last replies and was surprised it was in it.

I'm sorry you lost your faith but many do when they go to college, maybe that happened to you.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:35 AM

Quote:
virgokennewick resurrected this thread. I just read the last replies and was surprised it was in it.

I'm sorry you lost your faith but many do when they go to college, maybe that happened to you.
I just said in no uncertain terms that it happened to me in college...no maybes involved. That was ten years ago. I've become much more well-read since then

I'm sorry you've kept your faith, as it is limiting. But then, "Escape from Freedom" and all that. It can be nice to have structure, however artificially imposed.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I just said in no uncertain terms that it happened to me in college...no maybes involved. That was ten years ago. I've become much more well-read since then

I'm sorry you've kept your faith, as it is limiting. But then, "Escape from Freedom" and all that. It can be nice to have structure, however artificially imposed.
So you have no structure? OKKAAYYYY

Old 11-14-2013, 02:42 AM

Quote:
So you have no structure? OKKAAYYYY
Yeah, I do. I drink 6 IPAs per night...structure thus maintained
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism