Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 11:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
People don't want God in the picture. They think they know better.
If you mean the biblical, Abrahamic god, who can blame them?

He's a murderous buffoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 04:09 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
People don't want God in the picture. They think they know better.
You don't think you know better? Then how do you know that the god of Israel should be in the picture? Do you dismiss all the rest of the possible ways the mechanisms and politics of the Heavens could be structured?

Old 12-17-2013, 11:31 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why is religion declining worldwide?

Because education is spreading worldwide.
Information is everywhere and more and more readily accessible.
You can't mind control people if you can't control all the information they have access to.
That's my thinking, too.

The internet, social media, the expansion of TV with entire stations devoted to science (even though some of those channels are slipping a bit owing to idiotic programming about aliens and god talk)--all of these combine to inform and educate people. Thirty years ago, someone like Neil deGrasse Tyson would not have been a household name or have any kind of celebrity or fame outside of academic and scientific circles. You might catch someone like him on Nova on PBS or something, but he wouldn't be everywhere the way Tyson is now.

My own theory is that once people start to understand how utterly miniscule they are in the grand scheme of the universe, what a speck humanity is in general, they start questioning, and that's the first step toward jettisoning a belief in deities.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:10 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Because Satan knows his time is short and he's on a rampage.

Maranatha!

Old 12-17-2013, 03:11 PM

157 posts, read 195,391 times
Logic.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:38 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think that science is the #1 enemy of religion.

People's increasing understanding of science - what it tells us about life, the universe and their origins and how much it contradicts religious beliefs - is leading to the decline of religion and increase of unbelief worldwide.

This is a genie that is very hard to put back into the bottle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
This is true if translated from the Mystic dialect of theist into English.

Religions have failed to represent the real world factually and accurately in favor of self - delusionary beliefs and have used these as a pretext or justification for achieving worldly power and control over their members. They have abandoned their own mental development and that of their flocks by retaining and promoting the ancient ignorance and superstitions of our primitive and savage ancestors, namely faith in hypothetical and/or mythical gods. They have prevented much social development by emphasizing anachronistic cultural mores and rules and by refusing to incorporate 2000+ years of (mostly scientific) knowledge and understanding into their doctrinal and dogmatic worldview. Promoting iron age and bronze age mores and cultural beliefs and practices in modern societies has been a travesty of the highest proportions of wisdom and learning, afflicting much misery and provoking considerable conflict for millennia.

Well said, Mystic.
These two posts say it all.

Thirteen years ago, I would never even think about being an atheist. But as time went and I started experiences more of life, started looking at everything objectively and analytically I found that religion was useless and not needed in my life. I began researching the history of different religions, and found out it was nothing but a tool used to control the masses to do what the elite wanted them to do, and still is. There are many atheist preachers, who know what they are preaching is foolishness, but will not dare to end selling their cash cow of fiction. With information about religion being easy to find, especially with search engines, the truth has now come to light.

Another reason is I live in the Bible belt and many people here are big on being selective of which part of the Bible, they want to follow. These people will preach about the bible all day, while treating others like garbage.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:56 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Good post. Yes. I do think that the internet has empowered a lot of questioning and provided a lot of anwers to questions that at one time, only experts in the field knew the answers to.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:49 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Because Satan knows his time is short and he's on a rampage.

Maranatha!
And this right here is the mentality that scares me.

A mysterious and invisible evil entity is the reason for religious decline, and he was created by an equally mysterious and invisible diety who we don't believe in because there is no evidence. Hmmmm.....really strange thing to say to a bunch of atheists.

Let's try to believe the story that this LOVING diety "created" the devil to wreak havoc among us. Oh but wait, that same diety caused murder and mayhem himself so who's the bad guy again?

Old 12-20-2013, 06:57 PM

723 posts, read 868,921 times
Because we're living in the future now. Science is clearly the way, it's also completely incompatible with religious claims/ideas and that's too obvious for all but the stupidest and most brainwashed to deny anymore. I think the internet is a major tool here, there's no greater learning resource and it must have influenced a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism