Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 12:40 PM

335 posts, read 406,893 times

Advertisements

please tell me if you know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 12:47 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Try reading some of his books.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:33 PM

335 posts, read 406,893 times
lol no time...help me please

Old 12-15-2013, 06:41 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
- "Arguably the most distinctive feature of the early Christian literature, is the degree to which it was forged."

That is a quote from Bart Ehrman

If you want to know if he makes the case for the fraudulent nature of the scripture, you will need to make the time and read his book on the subject. This isn't the sort of thing that can be reduced to bumper sticker slogans, it requires a commitment on the part of the person who wishes to learn.

You want to do it as a drive by and that will not work.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:15 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
- "Arguably the most distinctive feature of the early Christian literature, is the degree to which it was forged."

That is a quote from Bart Ehrman

If you want to know if he makes the case for the fraudulent nature of the scripture, you will need to make the time and read his book on the subject. This isn't the sort of thing that can be reduced to bumper sticker slogans, it requires a commitment on the part of the person who wishes to learn.

You want to do it as a drive by and that will not work.
AS usual newbie atheists are trying to disprove religion. That is simple and does not require a whole lot of reasoning.

What is the point?

Old 12-15-2013, 08:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
Do your own homework.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:20 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
The bible.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:48 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
AS usual newbie atheists are trying to disprove religion. That is simple and does not require a whole lot of reasoning.

What is the point?
I would guess rather that a newbie theist is coming to get atheists' best argument so it can be knocked down.

The nub of his argument is that a real Jesus existed, but the Christ - figure is a documentary forgery. To see his evidence for this, one really has to read his books, the criticism of his methods and his responses.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:51 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I would guess rather that a newbie theist is coming to get atheists' best argument so it can be knocked down.

The nub of his argument is that a real Jesus existed, but the Christ - figure is a documentary forgery. To see his evidence for this, one really has to read his books, the criticism of his methods and his responses.
The existence or no existence of Christ is moot with regards to proving or disproving God.

All religion is man made and mythical. However, that does not mean a thing regarding the existence or no existence of God.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
That is true. The OP was about Christianity, rather than God or "God". And the validity of Christianity stands or falls on the reliability of the Gospels.

If Jesus was not who the Gospels claim and did not do and say what the gospels say he did and said, then Christianity (its validity, if not its actual persistence),crashes to the ground, even if a historical Jesus really existed.

The existence of the god described in the Bible does not depend on that of course. Both Jews and muslims believe in Biblegod, but neither accept the Christ -figure, though Islam does accept Jesus as a prophet.

The objections to the OT God depend on the reliability of the OT text, and it stands up no better than the Gospels.

A sortagod, a cosmic mind, First cause deist- god, the 'God' of Einstein, the computer that runs the universe, the finger on the button of evolution, the god of all religions and none, that is another argument altogether, and the only position I have on that is that there is no persuasive evidence for it, so I have to be agnostic about its existence.

I am not agnostic (in any realistic sense) about Biblegod, or Jesus as - Christ. They do not exist.

Ehrman (to return to topic) tries to get to the real Jesus, given that the gospels show signs of 'forgery' (I call it fabrication. as forgery implies a fake copy of a real original, and there isn't one - not a Christ - figure on which the gospels were based) But I have to say that I have only heard talk about Ehrman's books. I have not read a single one of them.

When I have finished mine, I may do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism