Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times

Advertisements

I haven't really announced it, I just think they already know. I don't go to church, I don't pray when we are getting ready to eat as a family, I always argue with them about the bible and saying "God will handle it". So I'm guessing they know I'm agnostic/atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 10:51 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I ask because I'm curious. Did it create a bad experience? Or a good one? How did it go?

I'd share my own story, but I haven't done it yet. My family is generally accepting, despite being religious--except for my uncle, who I'm pretty sure is not religious--and live very secular. So I don't think it would cause a scene, except maybe my dad would create one. I think I might be better off not announcing it to them at all.

What are your guys' stories?
I only told close friends and my son, the rest of my uber religious family doesn't know and they never will. Not because they wouldn't accept it but because they are so religious they would sit around and fret about my "soul" situation and that I'm going to hell. It's just the way it's got to be with me but everybody's situation is different.

Sounds like you might have an easier time "coming out" to your family but if there's no real good reason to do it other than for your own satisfaction and it would cause others to worry about you then I don't think it's a good idea. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:15 PM

38 posts, read 58,842 times
(Hello all.)

I grew up in rural Mississippi, and it is so ingrained the the culture that it isn't a question of "Do you go to church?" but "Which church do you go to?" -_- I was dragged to church by my grandma (who for some reason I remember being baptized when I was young, so IDK if she converted or just had a 'come back to Jesus' moment). My mom never went to church, though as the years go by and her health declines inverse to her pain pill addiction, she's become more questioning of whether my husband (not me) believes in God. Well he's an atheist-- as am I-- but I've always skirted around the question. I'm actually afraid to tell her because I... 1) don't want to deal with the BS of an illogical, high-strung family 2) want my daughter to actually be able to SEE them, which won't happen if they find out 3) she'll likely blame my husband, even though the truth is I became an atheist before him.

So my "coming out" day is approaching... we're moving from 16 hours away to 4 hours away from them. I think my sister knows I'm atheist, and I think that she has questions of her own, but what's left of my family sure as hell doesn't.

Oh yes, and my husband-- during one of his family's get-togethers-- did tell his Hispanic religious-yet-not family all at once that "there is no God" which sparked an interesting argument in Spanish that I just WISH I could have understood. (They still talk to him, though.)

Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encode View Post
(Hello all.)

I grew up in rural Mississippi, and it is so ingrained the the culture that it isn't a question of "Do you go to church?" but "Which church do you go to?" -_- I was dragged to church by my grandma (who for some reason I remember being baptized when I was young, so IDK if she converted or just had a 'come back to Jesus' moment). My mom never went to church, though as the years go by and her health declines inverse to her pain pill addiction, she's become more questioning of whether my husband (not me) believes in God. Well he's an atheist-- as am I-- but I've always skirted around the question. I'm actually afraid to tell her because I... 1) don't want to deal with the BS of an illogical, high-strung family 2) want my daughter to actually be able to SEE them, which won't happen if they find out 3) she'll likely blame my husband, even though the truth is I became an atheist before him.

So my "coming out" day is approaching... we're moving from 16 hours away to 4 hours away from them. I think my sister knows I'm atheist, and I think that she has questions of her own, but what's left of my family sure as hell doesn't.

Oh yes, and my husband-- during one of his family's get-togethers-- did tell his Hispanic religious-yet-not family all at once that "there is no God" which sparked an interesting argument in Spanish that I just WISH I could have understood. (They still talk to him, though.)
Welcome!

No different in NC, and I suspect throughout the bible belt, and while I haven't yet been asked yet this year, "where you all go to church", I'm sure I will as year is young. The last time I was asked was within the perhaps 3 - 4 months.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:26 PM

185 posts, read 457,618 times
A couple years ago I added a "religion" annotation to my Facebook account. "Atheist".
My dad saw it and said he didn't raise me like that and why would I choose to be Atheist and not have morals. I was quite surprised about his comments considering he is a non-practicing Catholic and religion has never been a big deal in the family.
My mom saw it and didn't say anything.

Last year I decided to get an Atomic Atom tattoo representing my non-religious views. This did send some shock waves that I really didn't consider. My Dad hasn't said anything - which is unlike him. My mom is very pissed off about but I'm sure she'll get over it. I really didn't explain it to my grandmother, kinda, but not really. No need to upset her.

Everyone else in my family doesn't care...

Old 01-23-2014, 01:29 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,663 times
It's weird how they react, even if non-religious. I swear it's the word that gives some people pause.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:14 AM

247 posts, read 236,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
It's weird how they react, even if non-religious. I swear it's the word that gives some people pause.
Here in the south I've always found it amusing that you can go into a bar and if the topic comes up, the lying-ist, cheating-ist, biggest drunk in the room will become all about "the love of Jesus" once they hear the word "atheist."

Old 01-24-2014, 12:25 PM

542 posts, read 692,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
It is frustrating that 'atheist' has come to mean something negative to many folks, like how Oprah spoke in that interview some months back. I've thought of gravitating toward other terms, like 'secular' or 'non-religious' or 'spiritual but not religious' or 'free thinker' or 'humanist' or 'undeclared' (which I used unsuccessfully in college to deflect negativity). Although each of those doesn't necessarily mean atheist.

To answer the main question of the thread, I was raised atheist so I've had an easy time of it. My extended family is very small, but discussion of religion hasn't come up. On facebook my cousin does post religious-ish quotes at times, but I don't feel a need to say anything at this point.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:57 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Even here in the Uke, to flatly say 'I'm an atheist' will generally cause an intake of breath and a tense pause. As if one were to say: I'm a racist, or a peidophile or an admirer of Hitler.

In the US, of course, the terms are considerd to be synonymous. No doubt so far as Oprah is concerned.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:26 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
I like your guys' stories! They were interesting to read.

Yes, many react to atheism negatively. One time during a debate in my History class there was a topic of religion in politics. To help explain my argument, I straight up said, "I'm an atheist, and I think swearing on the Bible for a political position is wrong and offensive for those who do not believe in the Bible." The class fell silent! No one said anything, and I knew there were bible thumpers in the class when I said that. Some of those bible thumpers have been disrespectful to me since, but it didn't bug me very much.

I think it's pretty easy to tell that I am not a Christian, considering I am pretty blasphemous when I am upset. My family may already know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism