Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 PM

641 posts, read 558,570 times

Advertisements

So I enrolled in this Humanities class; it's called Global Humanities: Atheism in Creativity, Thought, and Inspiration Traditions. I'm basically going off of the title and a two-sentence blurb about it. Anybody know what I should expect? I checked out the professor on ratemyprofessor.com, and she seems to be fairly well-liked. I just don't know what the actual curriculum will be like.

Any (informed) speculations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 07:24 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times
Quote:
Global Humanities: Atheism in Creativity, Thought, and Inspiration
Probably the entire course could be reduced to: "You can think more clearly when you aren't restricting yourself by subscription to dogma."

This is social studies, so the Prof will be challenged to fill an entire semester with variations on that one concept.

Oh, the humanities!

It might be fun if the teacher is entertaining.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Probably the entire course could be reduced to: "You can think more clearly when you aren't restricting yourself by subscription to dogma."

This is social studies, so the Prof will be challenged to fill an entire semester with variations on that one concept.

Oh, the humanities!

It might be fun if the teacher is entertaining.
We'll see. I'm starting to wonder if I should drop it and take something else. I mean, it sounded cool when I signed up, but now I'm wondering what could possibly be said that's really new and Earth-shattering. "Here's what philosophers say about godlessness. And here's what some other smart people say about it. Oh, and here's a poem, written by an atheist."

Old 05-13-2014, 08:18 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1 View Post
We'll see. I'm starting to wonder if I should drop it and take something else. I mean, it sounded cool when I signed up, but now I'm wondering what could possibly be said that's really new and Earth-shattering. "Here's what philosophers say about godlessness. And here's what some other smart people say about it. Oh, and here's a poem, written by an atheist."

Find out what textbook is being used and take a look at the table of contents.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Find out what textbook is being used and take a look at the table of contents.
Ah...

Good call.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:44 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:
Oh, and here's a poem, written by an atheist."
Roses are red
Violets are blue
There is no god.
And no Satan, too.

Violets are blue
Roses are red
I shall not draw
Mu-ham-med*

*This was my "attack and/or make fun of Islam" verse for the day so Christians can't complain that I'm not attacking Islam or whatever.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:15 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,976 times
sounds interesting.

Quote:
This academic and non-sectarian course emphasizes the historical
and cultural frameworks of atheism. It takes a basic, integrated
humanities approach to global non-religious traditions. The course
analyzes a broad range of visual and performance arts, as well as
literary documents, that explore diverse atheist philosophies over
time and around the world. It reviews the difference between atheism
and related conceptual traditions in creative expression. The course
studies works and ideas comparatively, analyzing their relation to
their contexts and to their impacts.

http://web.arc.losrios.edu/catalog/Humanities.pdf

Old 05-14-2014, 05:13 PM

12,343 posts, read 2,972,196 times
Sounds interesting. Let's hope there are more such types of classes to "normalize" atheism for the masses. Classes for the masses. Lol

Old 05-14-2014, 05:42 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times
Quote:

I would definitely take it, but that is because I'm lazy and this is exactly the sort of course I could always slide through with little effort and still get a top grade. Heck, no matter what sort of essay you get assigned to write, you could probably dig through the archives of this board and find it already written.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Roses are red
Violets are blue
There is no god.
And no Satan, too.

Violets are blue
Roses are red
I shall not draw
Mu-ham-med*

*This was my "attack and/or make fun of Islam" verse for the day so Christians can't complain that I'm not attacking Islam or whatever.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ...

Post of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism