Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:19 PM

10,530 posts, read 6,164,567 times

Advertisements

Anybody happen to catch the old biblical epic - The 10 Commandments this weekend?
Reminded me what a heathen-type-person I am, since I haven't visited this story since childhood.

Watching it again as an adult I saw it in a totally different light. I'd forgotten what an egocentric, selfish and temperamental character god is in this story. Playing hard to-get by hiding in a burning bush high up on a mountain, then all that 'worship only me' stuff. Not to mention all the plagues and death.
It was much more Monty Python than I remembered.

For some reason it only just occurred to me that Moses emerging from the mountain after 40 days with writing on tablets of stone, reminded me of Joseph Smith and his golden plates.

Actually I really enjoyed it, although 4-5 hours including all the adverts was way too long. The over acting was hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 03:32 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
The scene where Pharoah's magicians turned their staffs into serpents, then Moses turned his staff into a serpent that ate the other serpents. My dad pointed out to me that Moses had the power of the Almighty Lord behind him, so of course he was able to turn his staff into a serpent that was more powerful than the other two, but apparently Pharoah's magicians were able to turn their staffs into serpents strictly on their own power, which isn't too shabby.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:24 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

Watching it again as an adult I saw it in a totally different light. I'd forgotten what an egocentric, selfish and temperamental character god is in this story. Playing hard to-get by hiding in a burning bush high up on a mountain, then all that 'worship only me' stuff. Not to mention all the plagues and death.
It wasn't depicted in the movie, but in the Bible we are informed that after the first plagues, Pharaoh decided to let the Hebrews go, but then "God hardened Pharaoh's heart" causing him to change his mind, necessitating more plagues to convince him to do the thing that he would have done had his heart not been hardened. Yahweh sure had a strange sense of humor.

I watched one year while on acid, funniest movie ever made.

Edward G. Robinson always cracks me up because his NY gangster snarl of a voice sounds so out of place in ancient Egypt. "Yeaaah, now look heah Moses."

He was authentic in that he was a Jew, Romanian born, family immigrated to NY when he was 9.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:37 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Was it this one by chance ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAtRCJIqnk

No Well then I missed that one

Old 04-21-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
The scene where Pharoah's magicians turned their staffs into serpents, then Moses turned his staff into a serpent that ate the other serpents. My dad pointed out to me that Moses had the power of the Almighty Lord behind him, so of course he was able to turn his staff into a serpent that was more powerful than the other two, but apparently Pharoah's magicians were able to turn their staffs into serpents strictly on their own power, which isn't too shabby.
Haha. Brilliant.
Yes, I noticed they didn't show the actual serpent eating serpents bit, just people pointing and looking on aghast. They obviously judged that the animation was bad enough already.

Last edited by Cruithne; 04-21-2014 at 06:21 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It wasn't depicted in the movie, but in the Bible we are informed that after the first plagues, Pharaoh decided to let the Hebrews go, but then "God hardened Pharaoh's heart" causing him to change his mind, necessitating more plagues to convince him to do the thing that he would have done had his heart not been hardened. Yahweh sure had a strange sense of humor.

Edward G. Robinson always cracks me up because his NY gangster snarl of a voice sounds so out of place in ancient Egypt. "Yeaaah, now look heah Moses."

He was authentic in that he was a Jew, Romanian born, family immigrated to NY when he was 9.
. Yes there was a funny variety of accents. I thought it was odd that while most people were talking with pretty much modern day American accents, god was still all "thou shalt'" and "thee" and "thy" booming in old English, yet he wrote his tablets in some version of what looked like Phoenician. Obviously people were more adaptable linguistically back then.
(I have noticed Noah is Australian by the way, in the new version of that movie.)

Not only does god have an odd sense of humour, seems he had to try a lot harder back then. 10 plagues and still people weren't convinced. So he had to part the red sea in order to convince people of his power. He has it a lot easier nowadays. These days people believe any old nonsense.
And why does god seem to work in multiples of 10? 10 plagues, 10 commandments, 40 days and nights up a mountain? 40 years wandering the desert? How come America hasn't gone metric? It's obviously gods will.

Last edited by Cruithne; 04-21-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Was it this one by chance ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAtRCJIqnk

No Well then I missed that one
Now I see why he moved onto gold plates. Metal is a lot more durable than stone.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:41 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
yet he wrote his tablets in some version of what looked like Phoenician.
Fortunately I speak and read ancient Phoenician. There weren't actually any commandments on them, just a product placement advertisement from some pharmaceutical concern. It read "Take Two Tablets Every Four Hours As Needed."

Old 04-21-2014, 07:00 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

I always get a sad laugh out of the "hardening his heart" thing. Why would God do such a crazy thing? If his goal was to free the Hebrews, he achieved it after 1 plague. The only reason to harden Pharaoh's heart and continue the performance would have been if he just wanted an excuse to beat the tar out of Egypt or if he badly needed his ego stroked, neither of which make any sense if God is supposedly all knowing, all powerful, all loving, all just, etc. It just doesn't fit, and also grossly violates the whole idea of free will, choice regarding sin or taking the right path, etc. I sometimes think that it was added in just to scare later readers of the tale or because somebody back in the day liked making up cool sounding plagues.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:24 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times

If Moses used Apple Care - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism