Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 08:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,031,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I think you are assuming a belief system based on the color of the skin.

I could also say Asians are known to be better in math than other ethnic groups.

I could also say all Latin baseball players make the sign of the cross before hitting.

Stereotypes are often based on reality, but one should never assume ALL are the same.
No one said *all.* Actually, it is not based on color, but on a culture that has been pushed into thinking that religion is the only thing that helped black people overcome white racism. I don't believe that is true, but it is pervasive within the black community.

Thankfully, more people in general are beginning to question that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,605,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No one said *all.* Actually, it is not based on color, but on a culture that has been pushed into thinking that religion is the only thing that helped black people overcome white racism. I don't believe that is true, but it is pervasive within the black community.

Yes, because many blacks see atheism as a "white man's thing", even some people in my family, and we come from the Caribbean.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:56 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,391,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Whether race, color of the skin, or culture----------------it still sounds the same. This is a touchy subject and one should not generalize based on cultural heritage.

It sounds you are saying blacks are less enlightened by trying to solve their problems with religion.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:26 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,350,170 times
Myself and a few others.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:02 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,518,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Whether race, color of the skin, or culture----------------it still sounds the same. This is a touchy subject and one should not generalize based on cultural heritage.

It sounds you are saying blacks are less enlightened by trying to solve their problems with religion.
As a black atheist who knows a few hundred other black atheists, our culture views us as traitors when we stop believing. You not only lose your religion but you lose you identity as a black person in the eyes of black believers. This total loss of cultural identity keeps lots of black atheists in the closet.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 AM

278 posts, read 308,827 times
I don't think atheism/agnosticism and religion is a confined race issue. I think it's mostly an education issue. Where you have 'under-education' you have religion/superstition and every demographic is affected by that. Make people aware that there are naturalistic alternatives to the wizardry and magical hocus pocus that religion espouses and you will witness the droves de-converting.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:06 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,028,273 times
Wasn't there a DL Hughley bit about this?

To answer the question, I personally know one, my friend from high school who just got a job at the Washington Post

Old 01-27-2014, 07:51 PM

11,427 posts, read 9,358,073 times
I only know only one other atheist and she's white.
We are together in a LDR.

Not many white atheists either.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:18 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,028,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I only know only one other atheist and she's white.
We are together in a LDR.

Not many white atheists either.
Depends on geography, too. Head north of Baltimore or to the west coast and you'll assuredly meet more. Other cities and college towns, too....

Old 01-28-2014, 07:48 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,374,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
As a black atheist who knows a few hundred other black atheists, our culture views us as traitors when we stop believing. You not only lose your religion but you lose you identity as a black person in the eyes of black believers. This total loss of cultural identity keeps lots of black atheists in the closet.
I find this very difficult to relate to. I'm kind of thinking about you as if you are some new species of Martian I want to experiment on now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism