Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,194,603 times

Advertisements

I'm still trying to figure out how so many people of my race were duped into joining a religion that was used as a tool to enslave our ancestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 10:20 PM

24 posts, read 28,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how so many people of my race were duped into joining a religion that was used as a tool to enslave our ancestors.
I'm still trying to figure that one out

Old 07-24-2008, 02:38 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,324,459 times
Quote:
I've often wondered the same thing. I'm white, but my black partner insists on going to church. He'll never answer me when I ask him why he'd believe a religion that was forced on his people. I guess at this point it's just tradition.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:27 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,220,833 times
Quote:
My stepmother says that God allowed our ancestors to be put into slavery because "they were practicing the wrong religion" and "needed to be put in the right path so we could be saved." Initially, I was shocked that she said that, but then I remembered that I thought that way just a few years ago.

I'm the only black atheist I know. I have met with some agnostics (not strong agnostics, more of the "I don't care" variety.)

Old 07-24-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
My stepmother says that God allowed our ancestors to be put into slavery because "they were practicing the wrong religion" and "needed to be put in the right path so we could be saved." Initially, I was shocked that she said that, but then I remembered that I thought that way just a few years ago.
I've heard that before too. It shocks me that there are people who actually believe that.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I guess at this point it's just tradition.
Well, for one thing, black people tend to be more family oriented. Not to mention, the young always tend to look up to what we call the "Big Momma" character, or oldest living grandma in the family. Because of her age, she is usually considered to be the wisest out of everyone. In addition, there is the whole "Grandma wouldn't lie" thing. So really, when you question black Christians, you're questioning the 'intellect' of the "Big Momma". At least that's how I see it.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:33 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,400,802 times
Quote:
Well, for one thing, black people tend to be more family oriented. Not to mention, the young always tend to look up to what we call the "Big Momma" character, or oldest living grandma in the family. Because of her age, she is usually considered to be the wisest out of everyone. In addition, there is the whole "Grandma wouldn't lie" thing. So really, when you question black Christians, you're questioning the 'intellect' of the "Big Momma". At least that's how I see it.
That's really interesting -- this post would be a good source of info for use in some of the classes I have taken on religious history in the US.

It makes me wonder -- do you know of any atheist "Big Mommas" that have that same influence on their family? If that doesn't happen now, do you think it will in the future?

Old 07-24-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
It makes me wonder -- do you know of any atheist "Big Mommas" that have that same influence on their family?
I don't think any atheist "Big Mommas" exist, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
If that doesn't happen now, do you think it will in the future?
I'd give it a few decades seeing as there are some black atheists out there in this day and age. When they age, I'm sure it will happen.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:16 PM

539 posts, read 1,808,522 times
Quote:
When many Blacks weren't allowed to read, many had to rely on the teachings of a pastor or established religious institutions. It's become a habit. I've heard many Blacks who have been in Church their whole lives that believe that if someone reads Revelations or the Bible from front to back, that they'll die or go crazy. Superstitions hold many of them back.
Having said this, I don't think that the Bible in itself is bad. Even from a simple philosophical point of view, it's pretty good. The problems arise in the (mis)interpretations and implementation of those beliefs.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:20 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,963,390 times
Quote:
I agree....Black people should be running from Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism