Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:10 PM

57 posts, read 87,997 times

Advertisements

Tungsten Udder,

Each person can only say/declare what they themselves consider and believe to be the right way (for themselves,...THEIR "OPINION"), but if the person listening doesn't take them at face value (prefers to have pre-conceived notions about them) and insists on thinking that the person is prejudiced about their opinion being the ONLY way, they will not properly understand what is being said. Take me at face value!!!! Other people may or may not think that their way is the only way, don't automatically assume that they do, that is dehumanizing. Respect everyone's humanity. Don't accuse someone of thinking that their way is the only way until you have made them aware (in no uncertain terms) of the accusation and given them the opportunity to defend themselves against the accusation.

=========================================
A "concept" is...
THE IDEA,

An ABSTRACT [type of] concept is an intellectually advanced conclusion of the original concept. The final conclusion ("abstract"ed concept) has been abstacted FROM the original concept.

If you intend to remain confined to the conventional information from books, classrooms, teachers, scholars, researchers, websites, literature, etc. (empiricism), then all we can do here is TRADE INFORMATION and have knowledge of each other's information, not discover new ideas (conventional wisdom).

If we make an effort to understand the CONCEPT (the whole "concept" that a word refers to), we will be able to understand not simply conventional wisdom, but UNCONVENTIONAL wisdom (INSIGHT, true understanding). The ability to be able to figure out how certain parts of reality work gives us the ability to even teach the teachers, scholars, researchers, etc. because all they know is what they learned from books and classrooms.

UNDERSTANDING concepts is not just one of the many "mental PROCESSES", a "concept" is a philosophical conclusion/understanding. A person can have knowledge of certain information/data.

We can...

1) simply ACKNOWLEDGE [the mere existence of] the data/info.
OR
2) we can acknowledge the validity/significance of the data.
OR
3) use the data for further exploration AND discovery (intellectual discovery, progress, both conventional and even the possibility of unconventional wisdom).

FOR ME, life has more meaning with the pursuit of unconventional wisdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 02:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
2 types i have seen, the militant rageaholics that are not so much for atheists but against christians, specifically, hate and rage are ok in their book so that is where their morality starts and ends. for the other type of atheists, the thinkers, i think they got pretty good morals bek they think things over and have a strong conscious.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:27 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,745 times
More Excellent Way, someone else commented on you not responding very well to ideas brought up in comments directed at you while introducing endless new topics. I have to agree.

You also seem to want to go into a "teaching" mode, which I'm not buying is a mode you should be pursuing.

I could address all the new stuff you're bringing up by giving you my differing views on all of it, but I'm not sure what the point would be at this juncture. [I still need a 'shrug' icon]

I might be interested in chatting with you about some of this stuff (because there it's a bit easier to retain focus and not have it turn into a typing contest), but in my experience, bulletin board folks who like to type a lot NEVER want to continue in chat instead.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:43 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,030,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by more excellent way View Post
My father explained to me the concept of "physicality", but I think it falls short because it doesn't take into account "what can be felt" (sorrow, sentiment, not mere "emotionS"/plural).
Emotions are physical (physiological). For example, why do you suppose we cry? Sorrow and sentiment are "what can be felt." They are called emotions.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
"Tandem" post (it contains not only the text of the author, but also the text of another post) is simply meant to "disagree" (no intellectual discovery possible).
When someone posts something that is misinformed, inaccurate or needs clarification, I post a "tandem post" trying to fix the misinformation or ask for clarification. This is an obvious attempt at intellectual discovery.

When you say things and then ignore how people reply to them, YOU are limiting intellectual discovery.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:08 PM

Tungsten Udder,

I realize you expect me to care that someone else felt free to comment (and that you need not accept any responsibility for the comments of someone else) that I don't respond ACCEPTABLY. I am surprised that they are so judgemental and MAKE DECISIONS evaluating people's behavior and attitudes but don't even have the guts to accept responsibility for doing so. Tell them that the reason they have decided to be a "GREAT DECIDER" (narcissist) and also do not have the courage to address me personally is because they don't want to reveal themselves (remaining safe), they don't want to accept responsibility for their actions/words, and do these things because they need to compensate for their own insecurities so they can redeem their conscience and ego.

Don't feel self conscious about the comments that were made by someone else. This "third party observation" was polite and gave me credit that I didn't explain "VERY" well.

IF you still respect them (after all that I have pointed out), you can ask them to explain their logic (since you already AGREE with them and consider it worth mentioning) and very clearly LIST the many topics you yourself WOULD (but don"t) claim I have introduced.
----------------------------------------------------

I understand that you are not truly ACCUSING me (I only "seem") to go into a "MODE", I do not consider myself the "intellectual center of the universe" nor do I think that other people should be like me (OTHER people condescend, I have no insecurities, I'm arrogant and selfish, I DON'T TEACH). I couldn't care less that somebody might consider my opinions very imposing and resent me for not making them feel like a bigshot (their insecurities are their own). I make no apologies that I don't treat other people like a primadonna.

I did appreciate your polite words of integrity ("juncture" and such) used to legitamize your complaints, judgements, and disapproval of my behavior/attitudes.

Of course, I must also appreciate your KINDNESS that even though you "could address" (or point out), you will not "address all the" BLUNDERS that I have made (VERY KIND and heroicly tolerant of you not to embarrass me) and that you are so nice that you want to "chat".

I understand what you are saying about "bulletin board" folks who like to type, it is alot like tandem posts, isn't it?...they aren't really interested in useful and productive conversation that will further intellectual discovery, they only want to oppose, object, complain, and argue, not explain WHY their point of view offers more "UNDERSTANDING".

I thought I explained that I recovered from 51 yrs. of suicidal depression (if only suicidal people could see thru society's condescending opinions about them,you would notice how insightful they can be about human nature,....I saw thru every bit of your post, didn't I?).

Last edited by more excellent way; 11-02-2008 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: sentence

Old 11-03-2008, 12:41 AM

more excellent way,
What post are you responding to? I can't tell because you didn't quote it.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:48 AM

Huckleberry,

I agree with you that there are 2 types of atheists (sometimes spelled "aEtheists", which spelling do you prefer?). Make no mistake, I can see the difference, the TRUE atheists express true free thinking and original thought (wisdom) and the rest stick out like a sore thumb as soon as they open their mouth,...or use a descriptive username to give them IDENTITY (define them). These militant/partisan rageaholics make tandem posts a habit in order to express their "boo hoo woe is me" discomfort as a "victim" of this world and "insecurities" so they can redeem their conscience and ego.

Like I said, I suffered 51 yrs. of suicidal depression. I can easily see all the sleazy motives of human nature because I FELT THEM. True atheists have a "within", others don't.

Last edited by more excellent way; 11-03-2008 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: word

Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Huckleberry,

I agree with you that there are 2 types of atheists (sometimes spelled "aEtheists", which spelling do you prefer?). Make no mistake, I can see the difference, the TRUE atheists express true free thinking and original thought (wisdom) and the rest stick out like a sore thumb as soon as they open their mouth,...or use a descriptive username to give them IDENTITY (define them). These militant/partisan rageaholics make tandem posts a habit in order to express their "boo hoo woe is me" discomfort as a "victim" of this world and "insecurities" so they can redeem their conscience and ego.

Like I said, I suffered 51 yrs. of suicidal depression. I can easily see all the sleazy motives of human nature because I FELT THEM. True atheists have a "within", others don't.
I don't get your arbitrary condemnation of "tandem posts." You respond to other posts just like everyone else, but somehow you are superior because you don't use the "quote" function?

Old 11-03-2008, 02:28 AM

Default POSTS and people.

Logic,

I know that you are well aware that I never said that I am superior to you or anybody else (NO person on earth is superior to anybody else). No matter how anyone feels about themselves or others, there is (should be) no better human being on this earth than yourself. This always must be believed by everyone regardless of whether you choose to respect other people (like rockstars, role models, etc.) MORE (foolish) or "AS" (I don't even have need to show respect to myself, I'm arrogant) we respect ourselves.

I mentioned the "MIRROR" before...if you are in the habit of looking up to other people (role models, very common but bad idea), at times, you will also react self consciously in discussions by thinking that other people can be better than you (the MIRROR).

Nobody on earth is "better than" another person (may have better job, etc. and be better "off"). Do not look up to anyone, you are the most important person to your happiness, but nobody is BETTER than you.

You can only be a better person than YESTERDAY.

==========================================

I don't have the habit of responding to POSTS, I have the habit of responding to PEOPLE (major difference).

Last edited by more excellent way; 11-03-2008 at 02:39 AM.. Reason: sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism