Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times

Advertisements

I don't believe in demons either, except the human kind who do evil things for their own hedonistic pleasures and don't care for the suffering of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 10:38 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,601 times
There is nothing in existence that cannot be explained by science -- if it is advanced enough. Throughout known history, when man has advanced his knowledge in the scientific realm, things previously unexplainable have suddenly been logically explained and understood. It is my opinion that no matter what exists, there is a scientific rather than fantastical explanation for it. We just haven't found it yet.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:20 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
No I don't believe in demons nor do I believe in other supernatural forces ( such as a god ).
I believe we are our own "demons" and have to battle them to ensure our better nature shines through , but I do not believe in any "evil" creatures with special powers which is how i interpret the word.

We humans are perfectly able to be malevolent on our own without any supernatural intervention sadly.
Demons to me belong to the realm of the imaginary with creatures like gods, fairies, the Easter Bunny, Trolls, Gorgons, Furies, etc...

Old 05-22-2011, 02:35 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,350,617 times
I've had tourette syndrome. My father went through steroid psychosis for several weeks when being treated for cancer, smashing things and cursing. He lost all logic and wanted to drive because he felt trapped by his inability to walk. We did not help him to drive, so somehow, he crawled down stairs dragging the wheelchair, crawled into the car and pulled the wheelchair through behind him, and drove off, then came back. Before that, he had an idea of wanting to use a blowtorch to get the paint off a bed frame. I've had social anxiety disorder. I have seen too many things which could be scientifically explained which seem similar to historical accounts of witchcraft and demonic possession for me to believe in either.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:57 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Since I have been here, I have seen a lot of claims about demons and they do seem to be rather anecdotal. A number of accounts are posted saying that this or that happened and we are expected to accept it as having reality outside a person's head and that it occurred just as related.

That said, suppose there was something in accounts of demons. There is another race of invisible beings which rather oddly but in a very familiar way, seems to spend all its time popping up to let us know they are there while at the same time keeping themselves secret.

That they appear in all sorts of forms from handsome nordics to odd - looking humanoids suggests that human imagination has a lot to play in the accounts of their appearance and nature and certainly that cannot be shoe -horned into a 'religious' pigeonhole let alone one particular religion.

So Demons on the evidential credibility scale rank somewhere below Ball - lightning and even UFo phenomenon. Possibly somewhere above gods, but not by much.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:50 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
I regard demons and gods as on the same level: 'explanations' of unexplainable phenomena by people who could not come up with a real explanation. These were helped along, of course, by charlatans who saw an opportunity for acquiring power and wealth by exploiting said 'explanations'. It is amazing that it still goes on.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:46 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Do you believe in demons?
no

Quote:
I have heard at least one atheist I know say that their own experiences with evil and evil forces are probably the most compelling issue they've faced regarding 'something' else 'out there'.
Evil forces? Such as?

Quote:
In other words, they had seen too much evidence for demons to put the whole 'God/No God issue' squarely to rest in their own mind. (Does that make them a weak atheist or a strong agnostic?)
I've never seen any evidence for the supernatural full stop.

Quote:
So, my question is just to see if any other atheists/agnostics have ever had an experience or situation that they would consider to be borderline supernatural?
no.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:34 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,371,537 times
Quote:
Do you believe in demons?
Nope.

Quote:
I have heard at least one atheist I know say that their own experiences with evil and evil forces are probably the most compelling issue they've faced regarding 'something' else 'out there'.
Our species has a powerful penchant for personification. We like to take aspects of our universe, our world and even of ourselves and personify them as if they actually exist outside us.

This is not a bad thing. It is a practice that gives us much of our art, literature and folklore. It also helps us conceptualize things in ways that allow us to mentally deal with them better.

However a side effect of this is that sometimes the personifications can actually seem real to us. When we are young sneaking home after our home time, the personifications of our parents in our mind are often a lot more real and scary than the actual angry parents sitting at home tapping their feet waiting for us to arrive.

Personifying things therefore is a good thing, but becomes dangerous and useless when we start to think those personifications are real and actually exist. The draw to feel that way is one we all share however, atheist and theist alike, and is probably what your “friends” are experiencing.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
I do not believe in demons.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:07 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,863 times
No I don't believe in any supernatural beings. Until science can provide some evidence of the existence of a supernatural being I don't bother to to believe in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism