Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 09:38 PM

605 posts, read 491,693 times

Advertisements

The psychological circumstances:

1. I hate religious idiots.

2. I recognize that all humans, theist or not, are flawed, and we're all existentially doomed, whether we're aware or not.

3. I recognize that all members of society make contributions of some value, and by virtue of numbers, most of them happen to be religious.

4. I am at core a nihilist and don't necessarily care (at core) about #2, #3, and even about #1

Perhaps unresolvable cognitive dissonance ensues.

Discuss, if you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 10:03 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post

2. I recognize that all humans, theist or not, are flawed, and we're all existentially doomed, whether we're aware or not.

3. I recognize that all members of society make contributions of some value, and by virtue of numbers, most of them happen to be religious.

4. I am at core a nihilist and don't necessarily care (at core) about #2, #3, and even about #1

Not much for me to discuss, I'm down with the first three and as for # 4, I didn't care enough to start a thread about #s 1,2 or 3.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:41 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Mrcnkwcz, in describing your circumstances, I am curious why you hate religious idiots. I don't, most unbelievers I know don't (other than in the superficial sense of "I hate lima beans"), and life is way too short to hate anyone in any event.

Nor have I ever seen nihilism as somehow essential to atheism. It is a possible response, particularly for petulant former believers who can't get over the loss of theism's message that "I'm so special", but it is a largely dysfunctional response. It's entirely possible to have a sense of wonder, to have curiosity, to have engaging interests.

I would suggest lightening up and learning to find meaning, purpose, and enjoyment in life as it actually is.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:23 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,620,890 times
Something from that troubled Scot Macbeth who was a thinker!

Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more; it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Whoa tough thoughts. Sure hard for me to get inside that. I guess we're all made of different 'stuff'.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:13 AM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:

Are we existentially doomed or simply finite in time (as we are finite in space)? I don't think I could handle being infinite, whether in space or in time.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:38 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I don't think I could handle being infinite, whether in space or in time.
If you were infinite and aware that you were, then that would be your familiar, normal state. In such a state you might be thinking that you couldn't handle being finite.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:42 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
The best way to be pragmatically tolerant is not to inquire about people's religious beliefs. Granted, some will just tell you, and it's hard to miss the deity-thanking and hand-clasping on social media. But I try to keep people in the context in which I meet them, ie., I see a coworker in the role of his or her job, I see someone in a hiking group as a hiker, etc.

There are really only two kinds of people whose religion matters to me:

1. Those who mix it with legislation or affairs of state (including voters who want to turn their religion into the law of the land by supporting bible-thumping right-wing Christians),

2. People I date--I will not date a church-goer, and I prefer to stick to atheists and agnostics, on the notion that there's a chance something real or permanent could develop.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:50 AM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
If you were infinite and aware that you were, then that would be your familiar, normal state. In such a state you might be thinking that you couldn't handle being finite.
Fair enough...but that's a big "if" right? I guess that's a whole new topic.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:05 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:

Perhaps unresolvable cognitive dissonance ensues.

Discuss, if you wish.

Hate is a bit strong here, don't you think? I am dismayed to be in the 21st century and yet to find myself surround by people who use the fruits of modern 21st century science but who then dismiss the validity of the science that makes it possible, and choose rather to subscribe to ancient childlike superstitions. I don't hate them for being childlike though.

All living things are doomed to perish. One of the burdens of advance intelligence is having to live with this knowledge. The alternative would be never having lived at all. So there's that. "Flawed" is a matter of opinion. Flawed compared to what? Certainly humans are fallible, which is why we will never be Gods.

This was certainly true in the past, although less so now. And it depends upon which contributions you are referring to. Today prominent scientists, at least, tend to be skeptical of religion. And the choice of no religious belief at all is rapidly gaining popular acceptance.

That's a downer. One of the joys of life is the freedom to subscribe to despair if you so choose. I don't personally understand it, but then I am easily distracted by the infinite amount of things that are interesting about life.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:57 AM

605 posts, read 491,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Are we existentially doomed or simply finite in time (as we are finite in space)?
Both. Different ways of saying the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism