Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 11:23 AM

7,348 posts, read 6,981,466 times

Advertisements

1. I am not thin skinned , so it is with my power to listen to people that have conflicting views and not be offended . I am secure in what I believe so other ideas are no threat to me.
I will, in some cases, even encourage those of conflicting ideas, to continue to share their interest as far as they wish .
If some one is insecure about their beliefs,then I see the threat it might present.
This is an open forum and every one is free to ignore one another , but being offended is a choice .
I have worked in environments that those working with me did not speak English deliberately excluding others from their conversation , even on the production floor where English is required by the company ,but little was done about it.
Yes it's bothersome and I was forced to listen being captured In the work environment ,but being antagonistic didn't pay off for those that complained, it only made matters worse.
It was far easier to develop thick skin and patience and be friendly and ignore the childish behavior and mind my own business. I made attempts to learn some of the language but never let on how much I really knew.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:28 AM

6,114 posts, read 3,121,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
One of our new co-worker is in her mid-30s who is an ex-Muslim convert to mainstream Christianity. She has become extremely religious and talks about her faith, religion and church constantly. She shows us videos of her church, talks about prayers, miracles, and how she could perform miracles and that God talks to her when she prays and says she is in more unique situation because she was Muslim before but left her faith despite receiving death threats and being disowned by her family and got treated horrible and had bad experience being a Muslim.

This lady is nice and I feel bad for her, but her pushing her religion down our throats (especially when we have some Jewish people and open non-religious) has become too much and sometimes a distraction not only during lunch but at work. Managers are nice and laid back, so even complaining to them won't help. She cannot go one single sentence without mentioning Jesus / God, blessings, etc. which at times becomes quite annoying. Everytime somebody asks about her weekend or day or whatsoever, she must mention about her religion. Yesterday she performed prayers that lasted 5 minutes after a co-worker asked for prayers to become rich in joke

What friendly advice do you have for me to do?
Joke with a joke.
Ask her to eat pork in front of you, and hopefully she won't bother you again.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:32 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,268,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
1. I am not thin skinned , so it is with my power to listen to people that have conflicting views and not be offended . I am secure in what I believe so other ideas are no threat to me.
I will, in some cases, even encourage those of conflicting ideas, to continue to share their interest as far as they wish .
If some one is insecure about their beliefs,then I see the threat it might present.
This is an open forum and every one is free to ignore one another , but being offended is a choice .
I have worked in environments that those working with me did not speak English deliberately excluding others from their conversation , even on the production floor where English is required by the company ,but little was done about it.
Yes it's bothersome and I was forced to listen being captured In the work environment ,but being antagonistic didn't pay off for those that complained, it only made matters worse.
It was far easier to develop thick skin and patience and be friendly and ignore the childish behavior and mind my own business. I made attempts to learn some of the language but never let on how much I really knew.
I too am willing to listen to opposing points of view, but my toleration extends only to points of view which have some reasonable basis and are being presented in a reasonable manner.

Someone with a declared or revealed "truth" bores me beyond measure. They do not have any rational reasons supporting their beliefs, only the fact that somewhere in the past, someone said that all these things were true. If the person in question is embracing these "truths" but is utterly incapable of presenting a single rational reason to suspect that they might be true, if the person in question is incapable of answering even the most obvious objections to the viability of that "truth", then on what basis do I have any obligation to give them a fair hearing? Such a person is actually presenting someone else's point of view which he or she has accepted uncritically.

Consequently, someone insisting that "god is love" or that Jesus was responsible for their good fortune, or some great justice will be taking place when the world is destroyed...is doing nothing but making annoying noise.

I postulate no obligation to listen to annoying noise. Simply because it is religious noise does not make it an exception. I'll respect your right to your own point of view, but I'll respect that point of view only to the degree that it makes any sense.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:27 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,098,739 times
Tell her the truth, her cultish behavior disturbs you and others. No one cares for her conversion from one false religion to the next. You are glad she feels much happier with her new buy, but you aren't interested to always hear about the businesses she associates with, infact, it would be just as annoying as if our resident current Muslim who converted away from Christianity were right in her face with it always. Tell her she should become more of a critical-thinker and more compassionate in the workplace. You will be doing her (and probably a lot of others) a huge favor. Especially remind her that there are many Christians who convert to Islam for various personal reasons and that the excessive pushiness of most Christian Denominations is often one of them.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:26 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,853,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
One of our new co-worker is in her mid-30s who is an ex-Muslim convert to mainstream Christianity. She has become extremely religious and talks about her faith, religion and church constantly. She shows us videos of her church, talks about prayers, miracles, and how she could perform miracles and that God talks to her when she prays and says she is in more unique situation because she was Muslim before but left her faith despite receiving death threats and being disowned by her family and got treated horrible and had bad experience being a Muslim.

This lady is nice and I feel bad for her, but her pushing her religion down our throats (especially when we have some Jewish people and open non-religious) has become too much and sometimes a distraction not only during lunch but at work. Managers are nice and laid back, so even complaining to them won't help. She cannot go one single sentence without mentioning Jesus / God, blessings, etc. which at times becomes quite annoying. Everytime somebody asks about her weekend or day or whatsoever, she must mention about her religion. Yesterday she performed prayers that lasted 5 minutes after a co-worker asked for prayers to become rich in joke

What friendly advice do you have for me to do?
I wouldn't worry about how she interacts with others. That's between her and them.

If she brings up her religious beliefs to you, just tell her that you are at work, and you're glad she's happy, but you really don't have the time to listen to all the details. If she keeps rattling on, just tune out, turn your back, and shuffle some papers.

If she's like other people I've known who just can't keep their private lives to themselves, she'll be irked and maybe even offended. So what? You haven't said anything that anyone could rationally object to.

What she most wants is an audience, and she just can't imagine why you wouldn't want to provide her with one. There's no point in reasoning/arguing with someone that oblivious, so don't bother trying. Just do what you have to do to not be the one caught in the verbal flood.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:58 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,123,497 times
Tell her that religious talk turns you on and if would she like to go out and have a nooner.
She can yell "OH GOD" all she wants.

Last edited by Aeroman; 08-19-2015 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: Just being silly :-b

Old 08-19-2015, 06:04 PM

20,287 posts, read 13,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
It reminds me of a time I consulted for a German-owned company. The president visited and I gave an account of the work I had done for the company. What he didn't know was that I know just enough German to be dangerous. He turned to his assistant after my report and spoke in German, in what seemed a dismissive or bored way, but his words were actually quite enthusiastic. He simply didn't want to compliment me, probably thinking it would go to my head or result in an hourly rate increase or something.

Yes, quite often rude or thoughtless behavior can be ignored; one thing I've learned is that such behavior is often far less premeditated and personally meant than it can readily appear. And for all I know, in this case, that is just what I'd do. But all I have to go on is the OP's version of the story, which makes it sound rather over the top. If in fact this woman is monopolizing conversations to such an extent and sucking all the oxygen out of the room then it may require action. But as I said, there is no law against being a rude or idiotic; in the business world all that matters is performance and customer satisfaction and the like. If this woman is doing her job somehow despite running her mouth all day, then what she runs her mouth about is irrelevant. At that point your option is to figure out some way to take her down several pegs, leave it be, or quit.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:10 PM

358 posts, read 284,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Joke with a joke.
Ask her to eat pork in front of you, and hopefully she won't bother you again.
She is Christian, not Jew or Muslim

Old 08-19-2015, 07:19 PM

358 posts, read 284,461 times
Great advice by many people here.. Some were funny though

Today she sent my early 20s recent college grad Jewish co-worker (who is irreligious btw) funny picture of Jesus and action video clips so he gets attracted and make him want to attend her church for free food, music and stuff. Of course he thinks she is insane and entertaining at times but may fall for her beliefs and curious. Other co-workers laugh inside themselves and ignores her, but it's impossible changing subject because she cannot go a single sentence without mentioning anything about her religion. Telling my religious family about her my parents' thinks I am crazy and not her and should appreciate prayers and someone like her. She friend requested me on Facebook and holy cow her entire posts are about converting and saving people at various places.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:24 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,403,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
And may God bless you for your kindness and concern.
I have no reason to think there is such an entity, but thankfully I choose to do the right thing without the concept of a divine overseer approving or disapproving of my actions. I merely do what I feel is right, merely for the sake of doing right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism