Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 02:03 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times

Advertisements

Hah! Found it. Though maybe it will be familiar to all. Understandably, we don't get it (a rip -off of Batman with light-sabers, scripted by Jack Chick) posted to us as "evidence" like the endless stream of Creationist sites and Bibletruth you -tubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWafxnt3Zv0

Love the name "Miles Peterson" Translates as Soldier for the Pope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 10:57 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,540,646 times
My life is meaningful to me, in that I much prefer having it to losing it.

My life is meaningful to others, in that they love me, and that my work affects other people.

For the 7 or 8 decades I'll be here, that's cause enough to celebrate and be grateful for the chance.

The only thing that makes me wistful sometimes is that I want to learn more, see more, and do more than a normal human lifespan will allow, but that's what makes it so important to live life to the fullest extent possible, and to take care of my body and mind so that I get the longest shot at this possible.

Ruminating on this and being sad for more than a few passing moments is to waste time you can't get back. Look outward, not inward, and you might get a much greater appreciation for the fact that you're even here in the first place.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:06 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
why do we have to make up meaning? Its only when people force their emotional needs on others that they become a problem to me. I am ok with my life is meaningless to most of this universe. 99.9999999999999(bar over the last 9)% of it. or, 1/7,ooo,ooo,ooo th of human meaning.

I would never think that my meaning is more important than our meaning anywayz.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:15 PM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
My life is meaningful to me, in that I much prefer having it to losing it.

My life is meaningful to others, in that they love me, and that my work affects other people.

For the 7 or 8 decades I'll be here, that's cause enough to celebrate and be grateful for the chance.
Also, what we do in this life will have an impact for generations to come if we put in the effort and are successful in our lives.

Humans will most likely be around for many thousands of years to come. It is meaningful for us to make life better for ourselves and for future generations to come, to the extent we are capable of doing so. I believe in the progress of history.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:17 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Isn't it sad that our existence is meaningless? That there is no afterlife, no god, and no real meaning to our lives? Eventually the whole earth and every remnant of human life will be gone with noting to show for everything we've done, everything we've created, everything we've passed on here. It's all for nothing. I don't think about it often, and enjoy my day to day existence, but it is still sad. Obviously one of the major reasons religion was created in the first place.
If your lack of belief or faith makes you sad perhaps you should rethink the lack of part.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:01 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If your lack of belief or faith makes you sad perhaps you should rethink the lack of part.
The thing is, turning to fantasy has never been an effective way of dealing with negative feelings. Facing and coming to an acceptance and understanding of them is the more mature and sensible thing to do, as opposed to just believing a story or myth. The latter is hiding rather than facing, really.

That's not to say people don't routinely make up tales and pretend rather than facing realistic parts of life. I mean along with explanations for science we can't yet understand, isn't that the whole reason for religion? Making certain things more bearable by creating stories? But that doesn't mean it's healthy; indeed, when logic is inserted and the myth falls apart, so too can the person, making it too flimsy a solution to really recommend to someone, IMO.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:08 AM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Isn't it sad that our existence is meaningless? That there is no afterlife, no god, and no real meaning to our lives? Eventually the whole earth and every remnant of human life will be gone with noting to show for everything we've done, everything we've created, everything we've passed on here. It's all for nothing. I don't think about it often, and enjoy my day to day existence, but it is still sad. Obviously one of the major reasons religion was created in the first place.
Yep.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:30 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I don't think you need an ultimate end goal for there to be meaning in the here and now. We create meaning for the present which affects all we come in contact with. What we do each moment has meaning whether or not there is no one to remember it or whether there is an afterlife. You cannot say it was all for nothing. It was for something here and now not for some unknown future that will never materialize. What you do here and now is for here and now and it matters for the moment in which it takes place.
Meaning in the long term. Meaning after us and the earth no longer exists and every trace of us and the earth no longer exist.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:34 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Meaning in the long term. Meaning after us and the earth no longer exists and every trace of us and the earth no longer exist.
Why do humans think they are that significant or they should be? Isn't that just ego?

Why do people think that the universe owes them something beyond this life?

Old 06-26-2016, 11:06 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Why do humans think they are that significant or they should be? Isn't that just ego?

Why do people think that the universe owes them something beyond this life?
I recently had a (very one-sided) conversation with the ants in my backyard about how futile and pointless it was for them to keep building antpiles in my yard....knowing full well I would eradicate them from existence. I wondered...what meaning or legacy could they possibly be after? And how would they accomplish it if I completely eradicate all traces of them?

Yet that doesn't stop the next wave of ants, or even other life, from trying to inhabit my yard. It seems they make their own meaning, as the previous ants did, in spite of such futility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism