Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:09 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Why do humans think they are that significant or they should be? Isn't that just ego?

Why do people think that the universe owes them something beyond this life?
You are asking the wrong questions. Its related to my title about it being sad and making life pointless if there is no afterlife or God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 01:30 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
You are asking the wrong questions. Its related to my title about it being sad and making life pointless if there is no afterlife or God.
I suspect BCD understood your OP and was relaying that seeing life as pointless, because of no afterlife, is a byproduct of having an expectation of being more significant than we actually are.

I would also hold that religion has done a lot to instill that notion. So it's probably not surprising for former theists to find the notion of no afterlife, or immortality of some sort, to be disappointing.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:25 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Why do humans think they are that significant or they should be? Isn't that just ego?
Why demean the product of our consciousness by saying "just ego"? Our ability even to ask these questions is unique enough amid the dearth of such abilities that assuming it has no significance whatsoever strains probability.
Quote:
Why do people think that the universe owes them something beyond this life?
Why does it have to mean we are owed anything? Why does it not mean we have a purpose instead?

Old 06-26-2016, 07:38 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
I agree it's pointless, meaningless, and is especially overrated. So what.

Not checking out due to the few that care about me. As long as I'm healthy...

No "if" about it, IMO. Realistic people shun the god and afterlife idea due to lack of evidence.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:52 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Isn't it sad that our existence is meaningless? That there is no afterlife, no god, and no real meaning to our lives? Eventually the whole earth and every remnant of human life will be gone with noting to show for everything we've done, everything we've created, everything we've passed on here. It's all for nothing. I don't think about it often, and enjoy my day to day existence, but it is still sad. Obviously one of the major reasons religion was created in the first place.
I don't believe any of that. I think all of that is just your opinion. There might be other people who are of the same opinion but that's all it is. A sad opinion. So ..... if I was going to feel sad about any of it then it would be to feel sad for people who feel that kind of depressing worthlessness about themselves and the universe.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:00 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why demean the product of our consciousness by saying "just ego"? Our ability even to ask these questions is unique enough amid the dearth of such abilities that assuming it has no significance whatsoever strains probability.Why does it have to mean we are owed anything? Why does it not mean we have a purpose instead?
If you shrink the entire universe to the be the size of the earth, then the earth would be 20 million times smaller than a hydrogen atom.

That is our place in the universe and that is how meaningful, purposeful and significant we are. Our egos should reflect our reality.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:43 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Isn't it sad that our existence is meaningless? That there is no afterlife, no god, and no real meaning to our lives? Eventually the whole earth and every remnant of human life will be gone with noting to show for everything we've done, everything we've created, everything we've passed on here. It's all for nothing. I don't think about it often, and enjoy my day to day existence, but it is still sad. Obviously one of the major reasons religion was created in the first place.
Why is it sad? When we die, we become worm food.

I think that is awesome! All my bio-degradable body parts will eventually feed some other living organism. Which will feed some humans somewhere down the chain.

A few billion years from now when our sun goes boom and collapses, creating a black hole the solar system will get sucked into, every single atom in my body will still exist, just like it has always existed since the universe began.

I think that is awesome!

Old 06-27-2016, 12:42 AM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Why is it sad? When we die, we become worm food.

I think that is awesome! All my bio-degradable body parts will eventually feed some other living organism. Which will feed some humans somewhere down the chain.

A few billion years from now when our sun goes boom and collapses, creating a black hole the solar system will get sucked into, every single atom in my body will still exist, just like it has always existed since the universe began.

I think that is awesome!
There is no way you truly think that is awesome. You and I both know it to be the truth, but (presumptuously, on my part) neither you nor I think it is awesome. Unless you're as delusional as the theists you commonly denigrate on this forum. I can say the prior sentence (clause, actually--not even a sentence) with confidence because I know what makes humans tick, psychologically (and very generally)--and it is not the idea that their multiple steps of organic/atomic decomposition involve being food for worms and then atoms to be interchanged with all the generic-and-uncountable/untrackable atoms of the universe. Never has a depressed human received a psychological boost by thinking in these terms.

The continued reproduction/replication of human life is predicated on self-deception (or collectively effective mass delusion). Nihilists are 'righteously' but unceremoniously impotent.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:24 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
There is no way you truly think that is awesome. You and I both know it to be the truth, but (presumptuously, on my part) neither you nor I think it is awesome. Unless you're as delusional as the theists you commonly denigrate on this forum. I can say the prior sentence (clause, actually--not even a sentence) with confidence because I know what makes humans tick, psychologically (and very generally)--and it is not the idea that their multiple steps of organic/atomic decomposition involve being food for worms and then atoms to be interchanged with all the generic-and-uncountable/untrackable atoms of the universe. Never has a depressed human received a psychological boost by thinking in these terms.

The continued reproduction/replication of human life is predicated on self-deception (or collectively effective mass delusion). Nihilists are 'righteously' but unceremoniously impotent.
Why would one not think it is awesome.
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today.”
― Lawrence M. Krauss
I'm not sure why you suggest I am as delusional as the theists. We are part of nature; that is factual. As such, why can we NOT understand that part of nature that is us? No woo involved, just reality, and accepting that reality, makes one filled with wonder. Again, no woo required.

Your reference to a depressed person getting a psychological boost is hardly definitive; it is your opinion, and relates to one can only assume that some of religion get into prayer mode thinking it may help whatever their situation may be. Fine, as long as they are doing no harm, ala Benny Hinn, let them. But you are only surmising that those that find peace in nature are not similarly enhanced psychologically, and actually enhanced physically due to their communing in real nature. Contemplating the wonder that they will have an eternal life, just not in the manner that religions teach.

How cool is that to understand it?

Old 06-27-2016, 03:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Yes. I would indeed be "Sad" as any who have the staggeringly marvellous universe that we live in to know about and not think it "Awesome". Which doesn't go as far as "worshipful" of course, since all our propitiation by prayer, adoration, faith - belief in this, that or the other thing, tithes or sacrifices, wouldn't make a molecules' worth of difference to it (1).

Which is why I call myself a naturalist materialist humanist skeptical agnostic atheist. Not every time, of course, and not a Pantheist.

(1) anti -theist apologetics caveat - so far as we know, as regards sound logical assessment of all the valid evidence.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-27-2016 at 04:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism