Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 12:23 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,317,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Okay, I am not atheist or agnostic, but I have mostly left my former faith. I'm a middle-of-the-road libertarian because I feel like we still need a little more freedoms and attention to civil liberties than we are experiencing today, especially in the big corrupt USA. I might feel more radical about certain issues in either the left or right direction. I'm still a cultural conservative because I'm dissatisfied with the trending decline and ethnic/cultural genocide of European/Western civilization, which some believe is very radical. That doesn't necessarily mean I can't have more centrist or liberal views about abortion, LGBT or drugs. I will even support legal prostitution.

<snipped>
I don't get this. What does that mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 04:40 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
I took out that cultural diversification, as the goal, fragments a society. Cultural heritage is awesome, but a goal of cultural diversification can/will tear a group apart from the inside. We hear things like polish american, italian american, and others. Instead of being more american we are tending to identify our group by the fist name of the ethnic group - american.

There is an exception to every rule and I feel african american is one. When a title becomes a perceived negative connotation then maybe it needs to change. Also, africa is continent, not a country. So identifying with a seems a little less of a rift.

I personally think we should be getting back to the state being the "first" name in our new hyfend/hashtag society. I like being a american@pennsylvanian.

Of course the literalist, we call milli/fundy mentalist-think. will be pooping all over these simple notions. Slow down immigration and you're a racist or if you're not born in "our state" you are not fully human. two ends of a boob stick.

so, here again, the conservative liberal tries to remove all focus for a common goal. well, unless that goal is so open ended its has no real meaning in the real world. liberal liberalism and liberal conservative is where its at.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:27 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
This is a problem. There's no help for it. And I turned some of them around in my head and have no answers and am disinclined even to post what i was turning around in my headd.

Perhaps the atheist -liberal thinking would be "We wish there wasn't there problem, so we could all live in multi - cultural harmony with appreciation and valuing of the diversity of culture of these various ethic ethnics" Heck - it could even replace residual religion - it can be part of the culture.. I used to go along to stand outside the Ukranian Autocephalic church to listen to the singing. If they didn't take their religion seriously, I might have been able to go inside.

Yes...religion is fine, in a secular world where the religions have no influence, are not closed to anyone, public or private, do not think they are the only rue religion and do not take themselves Too Seriously.

Yes, the atheist liberal worldview does have much to commend it, and could lead to a peaceful; and happy and prosperous world society, if we can only put all the right -wing, anti democratic, racist, bigoted, closed -minded arrogant, anti -liberal loudmouths up against the wall in a purifying global bloodletting.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
This is a problem. There's no help for it. And I turned some of them around in my head and have no answers and am disinclined even to post what i was turning around in my headd.

Perhaps the atheist -liberal thinking would be "We wish there wasn't there problem, so we could all live in multi - cultural harmony with appreciation and valuing of the diversity of culture of these various ethic ethnics" Heck - it could even replace residual religion - it can be part of the culture.. I used to go along to stand outside the Ukranian Autocephalic church to listen to the singing. If they didn't take their religion seriously, I might have been able to go inside.

Yes...religion is fine, in a secular world where the religions have no influence, are not closed to anyone, public or private, do not think they are the only rue religion and do not take themselves Too Seriously.

Yes, the atheist liberal worldview does have much to commend it, and could lead to a peaceful; and happy and prosperous world society, if we can only put all the right -wing, anti democratic, racist, bigoted, closed -minded arrogant, anti -liberal loudmouths up against the wall in a purifying global bloodletting.

totally agree. I put conservative atheist liberals in the exact same category as conservative theist conservatives. irrational, insane, adult children of abuse, addicts.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:36 PM

Thanks old pal. I put up a dupe -net trap, decked with red warning -flags, alarm sirens hooting as you approached, flashing hazard lights and a tape loop 'Warning, tou are walking into a dupe trap" and yet you ran headlong into it. Congratulations, not on proving what we all should know by now, but for giving us all a good laugh.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:26 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,979 times
Quote:
Well that's a nice change from being accused of being hateful and antagonistic.
Thank you, I think.
I'd rather focus on behavior than ad hominem attacks. Same with parenting, marriage etc.
We all could use constructive criticism - none of us are perfect.
And I admit sometimes I catch myself engaging in logical fallacy or cognitive distortion.
It's really common - but few realize even the basics.

Quote:
Will you explain the idea of finding out why things are or just saying "They are, so God" or shall I?
What do you mean?

Old 08-25-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks old pal. I put up a dupe -net trap, decked with red warning -flags, alarm sirens hooting as you approached, flashing hazard lights and a tape loop 'Warning, tou are walking into a dupe trap" and yet you ran headlong into it. Congratulations, not on proving what we all should know by now, but for giving us all a good laugh.
lmao. yeah sure ya did. after the fact come back. you fundy-mental-thinks are all the same.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
because "liberal" anything means you question. There is no reason to take magic over common sense just because someone told you to believe.
In my experience in discussing with liberals, current (not classic/past) liberalism involves a list of unquestioned ideologies.
IE: What liberal do you know questions abortion by researching child development to understand exactly under what circumstances abortions are performed? Most, if not all, I've discussed with ignore inconvenient facts, in favor of their own magical ideas that if you don't want a child in-utero, it magically turns into a "parasite."

Old 08-25-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
totally agree. I put conservative atheist liberals in the exact same category as conservative theist conservatives. irrational, insane, adult children of abuse, addicts.
They've all gone mad!

Ann Coulter - Godless, The Church of Liberalism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T4y1WDofK0

Liberalism is a religion -in the sense that re-legion/legion=many and is organized systematic group thought.
Liberalism demands adherence to a particular set of beliefs - that is no hint of believing in god - not even a moment of silence is allowed often.
Liberalism tells kids "you can't pray or do any religious things in school" yet school children are taught liberal ideologies like normalizing (statistically harmful) homosexuality, "global warming"(Which can't even be called that anymore because it's factually incorrect), abortion options (again ignoring child-development facts).

Liberals mock anybody who claims faith, yet liberals demand others adhere to illogical faith-based ideologies that contradict scientific research. Freaking insane.

What's even worse is that all of this irrationality is being held up as the only way to think, as media, college officials, employers and even government have shut up any opposing views, denying many of their amendment right of freedom of speech.

Jordan Peterson - talking about freedom of speech as liberal mob tries to prevent him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2heAuFEzSM

Ben Shapiro on Free Speech, College Campuses, and The Regressive Left

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDq6XYa0h0I

Milo Yiannopoulos - Left trying to control what others see, hear, read

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr-50jb5x-0

Old 08-26-2017, 07:37 AM

I shall be most interested to see the comments on that encapsulation of the reactionary right anti -liberal resistance to what we might call social, environmental and intellectual progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism