Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:43 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,476,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
Well don't you think that your unbelief is an absolute truth (to you)? Surely if you are living your life as if there is no god, then it is what you absolutely believe to be true, correct?
I kind of missed this first part. I'm pretty certain that there's no such thing as an absolute truth. I live my life with much certainty that there are no such things as pink unicorns outside the realm of time and space that sprinkle universe dust all over the heavens to create universes. It's not something I sit there and worry about. I don't ponder it day in and day out. I don't give any merit to it. I can't prove that it's absolutely not true, but I can use a lot of deductive reasoning and logic to assume that it isn't true and therefore it's not part of any particular belief system that I want to be a part of. The same goes for God- Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, Greek mythological, Egyptian, etc...

Let me ask you something:

Why aren't you worried about the pink unicorns on the outer realm of space and time that sprinkle universe dust all over the place? Surely, if you are living your life as if there are no pink unicorns, than it is what you absolutely believe to be true, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 10:59 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,255,238 times
[i]Originally Posted by Deb in VA
Quote:
Atheists, does it irk you that Christians are so sure of their beliefs?
Nope, since I know that an absolute truth is an illusion. One can have absolute faith that one is safe and by crossing the street be run over by a truck. Here reality proves that believe is irrelevant, although it is another matter when Christians (or other religious people) are absolutely convinced that I’m going to hell for not believing the same as them.

That just shows how intolerant the faith in an absolute truth can be.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:19 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,211,930 times
The use of the word "reason" doesn't fit, because belief in god is not based on reasons, but assumptions which are piled up and taken to be true without evidence.
Christians do very little reasoning. Belief requires no reasoning. Christianity is emotional, not intellectual. Convictions and beliefs are based on emotions.
Christians handle many difficult questions in the same style that politicians handle difficult questions, by evasion and by changing terminology.
Christianity can be very poetic, but hardly anything is clearly stated, therefore the number of interpreted versions for any given event can be infinite.
If christianity were ever intellectually challenged, as in courtroom cross examination, the entire religion would crumble to dust.
Another irk is the use of bible quotes to counter opinions. It would be very refreshing to hear a christian express thoughts generated in his/her head, not from the bible.
If we, as a human race, could ever dump religion, we could begin to live.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,329,434 times
Wonderful responses.

This atheist doesn't care what anyone else believes. She does, however, find it offensive and disingenuous that christians try to insert themselves into the laws of the land. Once you do that, you should lose all tax benefits. Every last one.

Europe does a much better job of keeping religion out of the law than the US, regardless of the fact that most Europeans are christian.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,212,634 times
To the original poster:

As a Christian, I am NOT so sure that Christians are "so sure of their beliefs." If they were, they wouldn't be having fits over movies, books, etc., every 5 minutes; the latest fit being outrage over "The Golden Compass." Some "Christians" have so little faith in their belief system as well as others that they're constantly thinking the devil or Satan, or someone is trying to intervene and lead people astray. If anything, the thing that would lead me astray, or at least leave a particular church, would be the downright hypocrites would can't just enjoy their faith, be grounded in it, and know that they can't control everyone and anything, that God gave each of us a free will and the capacity to use critical thinking. No, that's not enough. If they can't be in your face constantly, moralizing about gay marriage, abortion, this and that, then it's just not a good day and everyone's going to hell.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:11 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,481,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
To the original poster:

As a Christian, I am NOT so sure that Christians are "so sure of their beliefs." If they were, they wouldn't be having fits over movies, books, etc., every 5 minutes; the latest fit being outrage over "The Golden Compass." Some "Christians" have so little faith in their belief system as well as others that they're constantly thinking the devil or Satan, or someone is trying to intervene and lead people astray. If anything, the thing that would lead me astray, or at least leave a particular church, would be the downright hypocrites would can't just enjoy their faith, be grounded in it, and know that they can't control everyone and anything, that God gave each of us a free will and the capacity to use critical thinking. No, that's not enough. If they can't be in your face constantly, moralizing about gay marriage, abortion, this and that, then it's just not a good day and everyone's going to hell.
I think your right there, I think some were raised that way and have never really thought about it yet continue on doing the same old thing as a matter of habit.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:56 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,476,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
To the original poster:

That's a very interesting point. There were a couple of polls out last week that floated around this forum in terms of America's 'unfaithful faithful'. Apparently, only around 40% of Evangelical Christians stay that way through their life. Only 20-something percent of Jehovah's Witnesseses remain so through life, and surprisingly, the religion with the most consistency was Hinduism coming close to 90%.

As Bill Maher said about it:

People seem to switch cell phone carriers in this country less than they do religions.

I thought that was hysterical and so true. It's truly amazing to me that people can be a Catholic until they get married and realize that they now believe something different. It's kind of funny to sit back and watch the hilarity ensue.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:00 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,471,576 times
To the OP:
Ignorance with sincerity is quite widespread in human society and human history. This fact in itself is not a basis for frustration to atheists because at least there is possibility of being 'cured' using education.

Refusal to think rationally can be frustrating to witness in others. Lots of folks act rationally in some parts of their lives but not others. And they *expect* others (such as institutional leaders, etc.) also to act rationally on their behalf. However, they themselves have huge areas of their thinking that are not rational.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,251,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
Be honest, those of you that do have "issues" with Christians, is part of the problem their absolute certainty that God does exist? Or is really more your feeling that Christians try to force their beliefs on you? Or is it something else entirely?

We all know that you cannot prove a negative, so there's no way you can say with 100% certainty that God does not exist. And I know an atheist will say the same thing about proving God does exist, that it's impossible.

But as a Christian, I can say with all honesty that I am 100% certain that God does exist. The reasons why I (and other Christians) believe this have been discussed ad nauseum on this board so I won't rehash any of those now. I can also say with complete certainty that I will go to heaven when I die and that I will be reunited with my loved ones (those that were saved) who have gone on before me. I'm also sure that every other Christian on here would agree with me about their certainty that God exists.

It's my belief that this is one of the problems atheists have with Christians, this confidence we have in our belief in God. Maybe you interpret is as Christians having a chip on our shoulder or thinking that we are better than you. In all honesty, for me anyway, this is absolutely not true. I'm just a sinner saved by grace and do not see myself as being any better or worse than the next gal.

So again, in all honesty, does it just irritate the heck out of you that Christians are so sure of their belief in God?
Pure in belief, or pure in behavior? I consider myself a devout Christian, but I'm really interested in your point of view.

If belief is pure, then that assumes purity in thought--a seamless connection between mind, motivation, and action. Yet, I've never seen a Christian indulge in a little backsliding now and then.

In fact, one of the essences of Christian understanding is HUMILITY, not arrogance. Because all Christians should understand that we are deeply flawed, and within every Christian is buried a bit of hypocricy as we try to reconcile our beliefs and our everyday lives.

Have you ever had an impure thought about the opposite sex while sitting in the pew at church?

Have you ever walked past a homeless man on Monday, after having worshipped on on Sunday morning?

Have you ever nodded at the belief that all men and women are equal in the eyes of God, yet spent the other six days of the week judging people on their stations in life or the clothes they wear on their back? Even for a nanosecond?

If so, your faith is insecure. Because you have not fully applied your belief in God to your daily life.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:10 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,661,253 times
It doesn't irk me until they start trying to convert me and start preaching at me. As long as there is respect ( which has to be mutual ) then religion is fine by me.
It does utterly bemuse and bewilders me though.

I find it quite bizarre and do not even remotely comprehend how anyone can believe in something so elusive there is not a remote shred of evidence for it but as they say, whatever rocks people's boats....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism