Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 10:41 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,178,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Bad hair days, definitely. People in the 12 items or less lane that have a full cart. Drivers that cut me off. Oh, and telemarketers.
People who think Obama would be a good president. Sorry, couldn't hold that one in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 04:03 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,200,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
In spite of things I have said here, I don't often have a problem with people who have a religious belief, I mean if they are going after my kid, yes or if they are coming to my door then of course.

I don't honestly care what they believe in or how firmly. Thats their concern not mine.

I don't have any wish to sway them from their beliefs so why would it bother me. I have more important things about my own life to think about then how someone else runs theirs, as long as they keep it to themselves and out of my life.
Well stated.
Living in the bible belt one cannot overlook the immense influence christians have on culture, politics, and social issues.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:52 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,460,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Well stated.
Living in the bible belt one cannot overlook the immense influence christians have on culture, politics, and social issues.
OH NO KIDDING, thats one reason I like it a little better here in Florida. I don't feels its so strongly religious as it was in Texas.

In the town I grew up in, in Texas, there was a loud speaker on the roof of the nursing home, it broadcasts hymns all day on Saturday which is the towns Sabbath. I found that just unbelievable.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:46 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,761,966 times
Quote:
OH NO KIDDING, thats one reason I like it a little better here in Florida. I don't feels its so strongly religious as it was in Texas.

In the town I grew up in, in Texas, there was a loud speaker on the roof of the nursing home, it broadcasts hymns all day on Saturday which is the towns Sabbath. I found that just unbelievable.
SDA's perchance? Which town, so I know to stay away

Old 03-06-2008, 07:55 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,460,172 times
Quote:
SDA's perchance? Which town, so I know to stay away
OH YES, you know of the scourge of the SDA then.

Keene Texas
Balls to the walls SDA's

It was only about 5 years ago they got fast food places, there was a HUGEh horror that they would be open on Saturday AND selling meat. I enjoyed hearing about the flutter and how some old dears were watching who was hanging out there on the lords day and what they were eating.

How did you know about the dreaded SDAs?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
OH YES, you know of the scourge of the SDA then.

Keene Texas
Balls to the walls SDA's

It was only about 5 years ago they got fast food places, there was a HUGEh horror that they would be open on Saturday AND selling meat. I enjoyed hearing about the flutter and how some old dears were watching who was hanging out there on the lords day and what they were eating.

How did you know about the dreaded SDAs?
"...and I alone have escaped to tell thee." Job 1:15

I'm a sole survivor. My whole family is in their clutches and I'm the only one that broke the brainwashing and left. Because of this, I have nobody in the world except my two children, who are marvelous young adults and of whom I'm very proud.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
"...and I alone have escaped to tell thee." Job 1:15

I'm a sole survivor. My whole family is in their clutches and I'm the only one that broke the brainwashing and left. Because of this, I have nobody in the world except my two children, who are marvelous young adults and of whom I'm very proud.
*Points finger at Red*

"Satanist!!!

You have led your children down the wrong road. The road of evil and atheism. You will go to hell for this!!!"

Sorry, I couldn't help it. You know I'm just kidding.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
*Points finger at Red*

"Satanist!!!

You have led your children down the wrong road. The road of evil and atheism. You will go to hell for this!!!"

Sorry, I couldn't help it. You know I'm just kidding.
Actually, one of my children is a Buddhist, and the other is an agnostic. I made sure to expose them to many different philosophies while they were growing up, and they found their own paths.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Actually, one of my children is a Buddhist, and the other is an agnostic. I made sure to expose them to many different philosophies while they were growing up, and they found their own paths.
To a fundamentalist Christian (which I was attempting to portray), they are no better than atheism. To them, anybody who worships another God is also an atheist.

Most Buddhists are atheists anyway. The Shinto ones are one of the notable exceptions. Agnosticism isn't a neutral position because an atheist or theist can be agnostic. It's just the position that the truth can't be known. After that, you still have to choose between theism, deism, or atheism.

From a fundamentalist Christian viewpoint (I used to have one sadly.), they're all equivalent to Satanism..

Old 03-06-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
To a fundamentalist Christian (which I was attempting to portray), they are no better than atheism. To them, anybody who worships another God is also an atheist.

Most Buddhists are atheists anyway. The Shinto ones are one of the notable exceptions. Agnosticism isn't a neutral position because an atheist or theist can be agnostic. It's just the position that the truth can't be known. After that, you still have to choose between theism, deism, or atheism.

From a fundamentalist Christian viewpoint (I used to have one sadly.), they're all equivalent to Satanism..
I realize that. I differ a bit with your opinion that atheists are agnostics, but I'm with you on the rest of it. When someone accuses me of being a Satanist, however, I always respond that there is no way I could be a Satanist because I don't believe in Christianity. This usually stymies them for a moment and they ask what my reasoning is.

Which is...in order to be a Satanist, you have to buy into the whole Christian thing as well, since they are antitheses of each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism