Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:12 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,170,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Well I'm not sure that I would consider individual results proof.
Certainly it is proof in your life and that's great for you but for others I would say that what you are describing, regardless of how you arrived at the conclusion, is faith.
My thoughts exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 10:14 AM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times
Quote:
Well I'm not sure that I would consider individual results proof.
Certainly it is proof in your life and that's great for you but for others I would say that what you are describing, regardless of how you arrived at the conclusion, is faith.

or it could be seen as ignoring anything which might seem to challenge one's own view of reality!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,899,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
My thoughts exactly.
Again?!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
or it could be seen as ignoring anything which might seem to challenge one's own view of reality!
Sorry, you've confused me again. Who is having trouble with their view of reality? You or me?

Old 03-15-2008, 10:22 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,170,686 times
It's weird how I agree with moonshadow on pretty much everything she says. I guess there are a few atheists that think alike.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
It's weird how I agree with moonshadow on pretty much everything she says. I guess there are a few atheists that think alike.
maybe it's collective consciousness or hardwired into our DNA?
Perhaps athiests have a genetic predisposition or something?

Old 03-15-2008, 10:38 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,326,864 times
Perhaps we're just all cut from the same cloth so to speak.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:41 AM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times
Quote:
Sorry, you've confused me again. Who is having trouble with their view of reality? You or me?
It appears to me that just like back in post 21 when you stated that "the existence of god is a faith based belief?" and I gave the example that i don't do anything on faith, but need proof, you've said well you're still going to call that faith because that's how it looks to you.

I then said, it appears when someone's experience might challenge a world view (the original statement that any belief in god is faith based), rather than admit that another view might just have some validity, and hence prompt further exploration, for your own comfort (and heavern forbid having to possibly examine or re-examine any set-in-stone-for-forevermore conclusions on how the world works) you're going to dismiss altogether anything that looks different, and still call it "faith." Neat. Tidy. Closed loop. Closed thinking. It works!

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-15-2008 at 10:51 AM..

Old 03-15-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
It appears to me that just like back in post 21 when you stated that "the existence of god is a faith based belief?" and I gave the example that i don't do anything on faith, but need proof, you've said well you're still going to call that faith because that's how it looks to you.

I then said, it appears when someone's experience might challenge a world view (the original statement that any belief in god is faith based), rather than admit that another view might just have some validity, and hence prompt further exploration, for your own comfort you're going to dismiss that altogether, and still call it "faith."
Are you getting snippy with me? Because it's really not necessary.
In my example I explained that one persons proof is not really enough. It is enough for you and I have already said that's great but it is not enough to prove this to others.
I could say that I believe that unicorns really did exist, that I have worked out a theory and done tests and my conclusion is that they definitely exist. BUT that would be my opinion and it would be faith based and have no statistical relevence to the rest of the world. So I could be quite happy in my belief that unicorns really did exist but to everyone else it would be a purely faith based conclusion.

AT NO POINT did I dismiss what you had to say, I was simply asking questions and trying to clarify what you meant. Perhaps if you have already decided what I think on this subject we should not bother pursuing it further.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:58 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,404 times
Quote:

I then said, it appears when someone's experience might challenge a world view (the original statement that any belief in god is faith based), rather than admit that another view might just have some validity, and hence prompt further exploration, for your own comfort you're still going to call it "faith."
Isn't it a beach when people take that approach? ive been trying to convince my family that there are gnomes living in our garden but they don't believe me. Now normally i wouldn't believe in them either but they gave me irrefutable proof of their existence in the form of a series of mathematical statements(which ive forgotten), this was enough to convince me but turns out that they are invisible to everyone else but me which seems to prevent them from accepting whats blindingly obvious.

They still wont believe me no matter how many times i repeat its true, they go on about this "objectivity" and "empiricism" crap like a mantra. They won't accept that my claims have as much validity as say germ theory simply because they fear that my words, when accepted without question, might totally rock the way they think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism