Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:37 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
It just have to sound like Jesus, so try...

all of us.
he will bless.
what's the fuss.
get a rush.
a wind gust.

It's all in how you pronounce it when your singing!
Good ones.
There is probably a market for Christian rap lyrics, y'know.
Maybe you could sell these to a rapper who doesn't know how to rhyme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 10:54 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
Years ago the Kendalls had a song called "Heaven's just a Sin Away"..Now keep this in mind..I am very hard of hearing..I can hear the words, but sometimes just don't understand them..Anyway, the Kendalls were known for their great harmonizing, and they did a great job with this song..I hear harmony of voices very well, even if I miss the words..My four kids,aged 5-8, were known for their ability to sing, and yes to harmonize..Well, they had that song down perfectly and I was such a proud momma.. We went to visit my mil and fil who were very religious and belonged to a legalistic church..I proudly lined up my babies before them and said, "This is their best performance ever"..Granny heard a little of the song and went into a rage, threatening to wash their mouths and mine too..Those kids are all grown now, with kids of their own, but they still harmonize very well, and are likely to burst out with their "all time hit" just to make me proud

Old 04-11-2008, 11:04 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
My boyfriend introduced me to a band called Deicide... even the name's anti-religious. Awesome group, though they're very offensive... ^^;
There's a "grind metal" band called Eyehategod from New Orleans. You can try to guess their religious beliefs there.

Lots of bands have criticized Christianity or organized religion without necessarily playing "atheist music." About the closest I can think of a band making music geared specifically for atheists or "Satanists" is the Electric Hellfire Club. I think some or all of the band are actually members of the Church of Satan (which espouses basically a pseudo-occultic atheist philosophy rather than actual "devil worship")

Maynard James Keenan has sung anti-Christianity pieces for both Tool and A Perfect Circle. Remember when APC had the single "Judith" with its "**** your God!" scream (albeit censored to various degrees on mainstream radio)? However, though I would characterize Tool as having an anti-organized religion stance I wouldn't say they're anti-spiritual - Google the lyrics to "Parabola" if you haven't heard that song (from the album Lateralus).

Trent Reznor has recorded similar songs with Nine Inch Nails and Pigface, like "Heresy" and "Suck." "Heresy" was done in the context of a concept album, somewhat in the vein of Pink Floyd's The Wall, so it wasn't necessarily coming from Reznor's personal beliefs. However he has been openly critical of organized religion and his fanbase (of which I am part ) tend to have similar worldviews. Don't know how coincidental that is.

You can't necessarily characterize the beliefs of a band or its members by its music. Tom Araya is a self-professed Catholic despite the fact that he's the singer for Slayer - of "God Hates Us All" and "South of Heaven" infamy. (Yes, I rock to Slayer.) For another example, the Deftones had a soundbite at the end of the song "Pink Cellphone" that might not be "atheist" per se but likely offended the sensibilities of Christian listeners. I wasn't offended - in fact, it was funny in a low-brow, toilet-humor way, but I was indeed surprised to hear it on a Deftones album as they're usually a more "cerebral" band than that. Otherwise the Deftones have acknowledged God in songs like "Minerva" - my favorite song by one of my favorite bands, no matter the religious beliefs of myself, the band or anyone.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:10 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I can't think of a good athiestic song, but "Stair way to heaven" is on the top of my list as a satanic song (that is to not listen to). I heard it played backwards and he keeps saying "sweet satan".
wouldn't pretty much any song played backwards say satan just from the scratchiness? And who sits around playing songs backwards anyway? Really don't people have better things to do with life?

Old 04-11-2008, 12:27 PM

545 posts, read 2,043,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
To my fellow atheists here on CD..

How many of you listen to music that is directed towards atheists? Give some examples of what you listen to.
REPLY: Any music that demeans God, Christ, The Christian Faith, and elevates Satan directly, immorality, unrighteousness, sexual hedonism, moral relativism, and other destructive forms of philosophy ... are anti-God in message and are thus appealing to the anti-God mind. In fact, all such music has its roots in Satan and he uses music to make it appealing to distance oneself from God . It doesnt have to be at a Heavy Metal Concert where everyone is thrusting the Devils hand-signal into the air as a sign of allegiance to satan...but it can be a beautiful sounding song by Whitney Houston which elevates and condones fornication or adultery. Music is a very useful tool in getting people blinded so they enter the gates of Hell a step at a time. You see...we are Pawns while here on earth and we are being enticed , lured, and drawn away from God and his protection for our lives, and ultimately, where we end up for all of eternity. This is thoroughly exposed in the twin video set called 'The Dangers of Rock Music' at Ankerberg Theological Research Institute, John Ankerberg Show - Christian Apologetics, Jesus, Bible&Christ <link href="jasstyle1.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /> ; but to the willful rebellious mind and heart, it doesnt matter and isnt worth considering (which is also a plan of satans called : apathy). Regards.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
REPLY: Any music that demeans God, Christ, The Christian Faith, and elevates Satan directly, immorality, unrighteousness, sexual hedonism, moral relativism, and other destructive forms of philosophy ... are anti-God in message and are thus appealing to the anti-God mind.
OK....I think I'll only scratch at the surface of this fallacy....if I'm an atheist or someone who is against organized religion who happens to like the sound of gospel music, is gospel music then appealing to the "anti-God mind?"

Old 04-11-2008, 12:34 PM

327 posts, read 755,042 times
I can't think of many bands that really sing a lot of songs about being an Atheist and their lack of belief.

Tool and A Perfect Circle comes to mind right away with a few of their songs, but that's about it when it comes to bands people may have actually heard of.

I'm not a huge fan of most metal bands like Deicide. A lot of other metal bands like Danzig and Slayer sing too much about satan to be considered Atheist to me.

Oh, now that I think about it, Anthrax may be one good band worth checking out. Check out Sound of White Noise.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:49 PM

I don't know. Sometimes I can separate music from its message. Just because it has certain religious themes doesn't mean it's necessarily preachy.

There was a locally popular but nationally obscure metal band from Houston called Dead Horse that had several songs that touched on atheist/agnostic beliefs, more like a first-person account of struggling to reconcile one's want to believe in an all-loving God while people are killing and otherwise marginalizing others in said God's name at every turn. I suppose that's enough to make such music "atheist" for some. Then there will be people who think the rock and roll sound (without regard to lyrics) as inherently "Satanic."

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some Scandinavian death metal to listen to...

Old 04-11-2008, 01:06 PM

545 posts, read 2,043,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
OK....I think I'll only scratch at the surface of this fallacy....if I'm an atheist or someone who is against organized religion who happens to like the sound of gospel music, is gospel music then appealing to the "anti-God mind?"
REPLY: Hello and thanks for your question. First though, there is truly no such thing as 'an atheist' . It is a misnomer. No one can say , for sure , that there is no God , for, that would require such a person to be able to go around the entire universe having examined everywhere to be sure God doesnt exist. Secondly, there is so much evidence based on design that is all around a person which implies a Creator/Designer/Builder which means that a person has to willfully reject this evidence for his own ulterior personal agenda (that is, to not want any interference on how to live his life) . Thirdly, what atheists claim such as moral relativism , no absolute truth, etc... are claims which not even the atheist lives out in his own life on a daily basis ; so atheism from a real life standpoint is unlivable. IE: The atheist wants the freedom of moral relativism to live out his lifestyle , yet he expects absolute moral laws from others in terms of how he is treated (absolute honesty, respect, fairness, integrity, morality, etc...). Fourthly, no one really believes that a personal Universe with over 250 extremely narrow physics constants simultaneously needed for earth and us to live can come from non intelligence such as rocks, dirt, gasses, etc.. And the same applies for our personality triats of : Morality, abstract thinking, love, compassion, reason, rationale, et al... In fact, it is highly absurd to think so. And it requires far more incredible FAITH than what a believer in God has. Therefore, no one is 'an atheist' ... just a person who doesnt want to admit there has to be a personal Creator nor is willing to follow him , live for him, love him, and surrender his life to him. This is the whole psychology behind wanting to be an atheist and i know full well as i wanted to be one for 10 plus years.

Now, onto your question ; you are free to listen to the sound of any music you like due to your freewill. And i trust one day, that instead of listening to the 'sound' of the Gospel Music, you will get its message which is from God and of God into your heart so you can enter into the very purpose of your life at this point in history : To enjoy and have a real dynamic personal relationship with the Creator of this Universe thru Jesus Christ who claimed and proved to be this actual Creator. PM me if youd like to discuss this further in complete privacy. Regards.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:16 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,943 times
Not all atheists say "there is no god".

A lot of them say "I don't think there's a god, and if there is, I'm not going to worship 'em".

The Dangers of Rock Music, you say? Tee hee. Funny, as most rock and hardcore kids I know are Christian...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism