Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 05:57 PM

11,396 posts, read 9,320,940 times

Advertisements

I'd rather be lonely...

Quote:
Does anyone see anything wrong with this view of church?
If that's what makes you happy then go for it. However, it's not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 06:03 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,633,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
But what does any of that have to do with Atheism or Agnosticism?

I'm pretty sure most Atheists and Agnostics are not considering the mechanisms of religious assembly, in fact probably couldn't care less.

my $.02
you are right. Most people, no matter what statement of believe they hold true, don't think about it past "works for me, so it must be good." then we have the leaders of a particular statement of belief. I don't care what they believe, it aint about the truth for most of the big players.

us "regular crazies" get covered in the poo they sling at each other.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:53 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,712,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
One thing that I think is similar to church is the Star Trek fan club.
Star Trek clubs don't talk about WWJD - they talk about What Would Jean-Luc Picard Do?

Old 05-15-2018, 06:06 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,830,695 times
No, What would Janeway do? Fiddle the Prime Directive so as to validate wiping out an entire alien enemy race. It's easier than you'd think.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:50 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,907,501 times
Star-*/LOTR fans imagine an ideal world in their fantasy.

Fundamentalists believe in a alternate magical world.

Liberals believe that the kingdom that is gradually occurring and will someday fully happen on earth, and that those idealized fantasies are just symbols of what could really be if more people would commit to following the true religious teachings.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:50 PM

In a LoR fantasy world, I'd be an historical revisionists. I reckon the orcs got a bum rap from the historians of Gondor.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:09 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,867,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
In a LoR fantasy world, I'd be an historical revisionists. I reckon the orcs got a bum rap from the historians of Gondor.
I can't remember the name of the books, but there is an entire series written from the point of view of the orcs, who are just the lowest-ranking, oft-reviled foot soldiers, always sent in as fodder. The protagonist is a semi-smart orc and tries to keep his unit alive and out of trouble and then end up doing something incredibly heroic that stuns everyone else. It has a lot of humor in it.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 05-16-2018, 02:50 AM

That's a new one on me. But I'd noticed a bit of wargamer respect for the orcs. Mad buggers and no dress -sense, but you don't want them as your enemy. Bit like the Scots, really.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,979,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's a new one on me. But I'd noticed a bit of wargamer respect for the orcs. Mad buggers and no dress -sense, but you don't want them as your enemy. Bit like the Scots, really.
Russian novel <g>

https://www.salon.com/2011/02/15/last_ringbearer/

Quote:
In Yeskov's retelling, the wizard Gandalf is a war-monger intent on crushing the scientific and technological initiative of Mordor and its southern allies because science "destroys the harmony of the world and dries up the souls of men!" He's in cahoots with the elves, who aim to become "masters of the world," and turn Middle-earth into a "bad copy" of their magical homeland across the sea. Barad-dur, also known as the Dark Tower and Sauron's citadel, is, by contrast, described as "that amazing city of alchemists and poets, mechanics and astronomers, philosophers and physicians, the heart of the only civilization in Middle-earth to bet on rational knowledge and bravely pitch its barely adolescent technology against ancient magic."
Quote:
The protagonist of "The Last Ringbearer" is a field medic from Umbar (a southern land), who is ably assisted by an Orocuen -- that is, orc -- scout, who is not a demonic creature like the orcs in "The Lord of the Rings," but an ordinary man. They're given the task of destroying a mirror in the elf stronghold of Lorien before the elves can further use it to infect Middle-earth with their alien magic. Meanwhile, the remnants of Mordor's civilization fight a rear-guard guerrilla campaign to sustain the "green shoots of reason and progress," in opposition to the "static" and "tidy" pseudo-paradise of Middle-earth under the elven regime.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:20 PM

I Like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism