Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 04:05 PM

14,373 posts, read 18,457,729 times

Advertisements

I ask this because I just can't make that choice. I was basically a skeptic from the time I was very young. If it's not tangible, I won't believe in it.

Yet, if you talk to devout Christians, they try to convert people like it is a choice. Granted, these are also people who think you can choose to stop being gay, so whatever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 05:10 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,666,260 times
sort of. The "whyz" come into play.

for some yes and others no. For example, fundiez, list the personality traits and it quickly become obvious that they had no choice. they are either all in, or all out, they can be no other way. In some wayz I wish I was like them, that bubble seems so easy.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:16 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,220,827 times
Yeah that's really a mindset imho and at the crux of the religious proposition. If you allow your mind to wander off into self-delusion and confirmation bias....you'll likely be perfectly fine accepting all sorts of rationalizations for things that really aren't demonstrable.

Even putting aside religion....how about relationships? People believe all sorts of things....both good and bad as well as true and untrue....about their SO. They sometimes think they can change the other person, or can't face the pain of betrayal, or simply acknowledge they made a bad choice for themselves; while in other cases they are so braced for hurt that they presume wrongdoing from their SO. We are quite gullible creatures of our imaginations.

So it isn't overly surprising (though certainly dissappointing) that many of us "choose" to believe in things we have no demonstrable evidence for. But I see these choices as being subconscious choices....driven by the need to (however pointlessly) protect ourselves from (real or imagined) harms.

So for the person that is willing to own their thoughts, feelings, and emotions....no matter what they are...it is not a choice to believe. You are simply unconvinced. For the person that is less willing (for the variety of reasons there are) to sacrifice truth for comfort.....belief certainly seems to be a choice.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:26 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,258,540 times
I couldn't say, I had the reverse experience. Belief was imposed upon me as a child and I accepted it the same way a child accepts all the norms in his or her environment. There was no choice being made because I wasn't aware that there was an alternative.

Disbelief was a choice. Once I reached the age of reason and began considering the validity of the doctrines I had been fed, I decided that they were without merit and ceased believing in them.

As for those born into a religious environment who sustained their faith through their adult years, that seems more a matter of simply never questioning a childhood norm than making an affirmative choice to believe. Then again I'm not inside those heads. From my perspective, something went wrong with those folks, they should have reasoned their way out of belief just as I did, but for whatever reasons, they did not. From their perspective, something went wrong with me and I deviated from subscription to a valued norm.

The other case would be someone who was raised in an environment without belief in a god. If such a person reached maturity and embraced a deity, that certainly radiates the appearance of someone having made a choice to believe.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:31 PM

20,260 posts, read 13,654,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
So for the person that is willing to own their thoughts, feelings, and emotions....no matter what they are...it is not a choice to believe. You are simply unconvinced. For the person that is less willing (for the variety of reasons there are) to sacrifice truth for comfort.....belief certainly seems to be a choice.
I would suggest that the latter sort of person doesn't truly "decide to believe". They "decide to accept" unsubstantiated assertions. It is submission to an authoritarian assertion under threat of eternal damnation or perhaps (in more liberal groups) just the threat of group rejection or lack of full fledged belonging.

No one truly "decides to believe". They are convinced, or not. A person telling themselves that the Bible or their authority figures are right and will reward them for agreeing is not the same thing, qualitatively, as being convinced based on evidence. However, they are similar enough that believers and unbelievers regularly talk past each other, using significantly different meanings for the same terms (such as "believe" or "faith").

Old 08-01-2016, 05:32 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,666,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Yeah that's really a mindset imho and at the crux of the religious proposition. If you allow your mind to wander off into self-delusion and confirmation bias....you'll likely be perfectly fine accepting all sorts of rationalizations for things that really aren't demonstrable.

Even putting aside religion....how about relationships? People believe all sorts of things....both good and bad as well as true and untrue....about their SO. They sometimes think they can change the other person, or can't face the pain of betrayal, or simply acknowledge they made a bad choice for themselves; while in other cases they are so braced for hurt that they presume wrongdoing from their SO. We are quite gullible creatures of our imaginations.

So it isn't overly surprising (though certainly dissappointing) that many of us "choose" to believe in things we have no demonstrable evidence for. But I see these choices as being subconscious choices....driven by the need to (however pointlessly) protect ourselves from (real or imagined) harms.

amen to that.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:50 PM

20,260 posts, read 13,654,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Disbelief was a choice. Once I reached the age of reason and began considering the validity of the doctrines I had been fed, I decided that they were without merit and ceased believing in them.
But once you had the reasoning powers and perspective and data in place, did you really have any choice but to not believe that which was without merit? The key difference for a believer is the acceptance of asserted merit and the refusal to actually evaluate it for yourself. But once you actually form an understanding of the actual facts on the ground, you have no real choice but to believe or not, according to those facts.

I can't just "choose to believe" that I am 9 feet tall or that I am a female or that I can fly by flapping my arms, absent a good reason to believe such things. If I had been told from the cradle that these things are true despite appearances and that I will be rewarded with eternal bliss if I accept them as if they were true ... and threatened with eternal punishment if I did not ... I would probably claim I believed and repeat the assertions to others. But is that really belief?

Old 08-01-2016, 06:10 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,258,540 times
mordant
Quote:
But once you had the reasoning powers and perspective and data in place, did you really have any choice but to not believe that which was without merit?
I choose to believe that all this is just a semantics dust up...or did I really have a choice to believe that?

This argument is akin to the one which poses that all your seeming experiences and perceptions are mere imagination and that the apparent reality does not actually exist. In such circumstances I tend to fall back on pragmatism. I start with the supposition that all is imaginary, and quickly discover that there is nowhere to progress from that. Whether it is imaginary or not, I must treat it as though it is real.

Whether the rock hits the glass pitcher or the glass pitcher hits the rock, the result is bad for the glass pitcher. Whether someone chose to believe, or was compelled to believe, they are stuck with the consequences of belief.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:22 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,220,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I would suggest that the latter sort of person doesn't truly "decide to believe". They "decide to accept" unsubstantiated assertions. It is submission to an authoritarian assertion under threat of eternal damnation or perhaps (in more liberal groups) just the threat of group rejection or lack of full fledged belonging.

No one truly "decides to believe". They are convinced, or not. A person telling themselves that the Bible or their authority figures are right and will reward them for agreeing is not the same thing, qualitatively, as being convinced based on evidence. However, they are similar enough that believers and unbelievers regularly talk past each other, using significantly different meanings for the same terms (such as "believe" or "faith").
Yeah, the "seems to be a choice" part probably needed a bit of an explanation. More than what seemed good in my own head.

I was trying to convey an additional step (of my own thinking, not necessarily what you are suggesting) that the seemingly chosen belief would seem to be a choice, to the believer, as they have some awareness that their belief is rooted in unconscious self-preservation...and not because they have been convinced. Of course, there are those who haven't heard the skeptical arguments....and are very much convinced...so my premise is for those who have and still "believe".

It's one of the reasons I think it will eventually (perhaps beyond my lifetime) become more common to refer to "belief-positions", as we do with "knowledge-positions", as we unravel the intricacies of why we think, what we think.

Perhaps it's just my own musings or confirmation bias.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:27 PM

14,373 posts, read 18,457,729 times
Well, when I was young, I believed there was a god, because that was what my family told me. I just found him to be contradictory and illogical, and therefore religion was a boring annoyance to me. Once I understood the concept of agnosticism and later of atheism, I was like "OH, that's where I fit!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism