Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 11:26 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,947,648 times

Advertisements

I will sometimes hear atheists speak favorably of ancient myths like Thor or Pan with a sort fondness, as compared to the traditional Christian god.

Does this mean that one day in the future, even Jehova will find similar favor with atheists, after he inevitably transforms into a myth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 12:49 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,035,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I will sometimes hear atheists speak favorably of ancient myths like Thor or Pan with a sort fondness, as compared to the traditional Christian god.

Does this mean that one day in the future, even Jehova will find similar favor with atheists, after he inevitably transforms into a myth?
No. It means that all Gods are viewed as fictional characters. How could you miss this? it's stated on almost every thread.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:14 AM

50,143 posts, read 20,925,474 times
Quote:

No. As Gabfest states, it would simply shift the Bible from the 'religion' shelf to the 'Mythology' shelf. We could then indeed have a 'fondness' for the old stories, if we were not expected to take them as somehow true and moreover, something on which to base our mode of living.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:40 AM

7,681 posts, read 4,217,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
No. As Gabfest states, it would simply shift the Bible from the 'religion' shelf to the 'Mythology' shelf. We could then indeed have a 'fondness' for the old stories, if we were not expected to take them as somehow true and moreover, something on which to base our mode of living.
The purpose of the Bible would change from that of worship to a piece of literature used for study. It would become a source of material for ideas, experiences, emotions, vocabulary; used to study structure and rhythm; used as a source of the speech patterns of writers during that time period; used as a source for oral interpretation to teach a lesson or for entertainment.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:39 AM

4,748 posts, read 2,367,100 times
Quote:

Numerous non believers have explained this to you in detail. How do these questions keep forming in your head?

I have a fondness for Santa Claus that is a remnant of my childhood. I have always loved Christmas, and I enjoy the whole Santa myth. It's cute. The story delights children, and I enjoy seeing children delighted. Who wouldn't love the story of a jolly old man that goes to so much trouble every year to make children happy? I doubt that I would have found the story of Santa so delightful if part of the story included Santa ordering the decapitation and evisceration of hundreds of children. Or drowning everything in sight.

The God of the Bible is not nearly so warm and fuzzy as Santa. The only thing that can possibly redeem Him is that He never existed as anything other than a myth to begin with.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:30 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,802,699 times
Quote:

I would say no. I don't think that, when taken as myth, the character of the Abrahamic God as described in the Bible is interesting or compelling.

For the sake of argument here, I am explicitly ignoring the theological context of things like the trinity, and treating the Bible as a collection of mythic stories. The reason why approaching the Bible this way won't really change opinions on God is that he really isn't a character, so much as a plot device.

As a collection of myths, who are the protagonists? Job, Moses, Joshua, David, Hezekiah, Jesus (ignoring trinitarian doctrine here), Paul, these are some of the protagonists. The stories are not about God, they don't make us identify with him. The stories are about people, those are the figures that will catch the attention, that will allow us to see our own human struggles reflected in them.

As a comparison, The Norse gods, the Greco-Roman pantheon, and others a much more "human" than the Abrahamic God. They are the actors, protagonists and antagonists, of their own stories. And it is this personal nature of those myths that let us identify with the humanity of those gods in a way that lets us relate to the myth.

-NoCapo

Old 09-29-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
This is what I meant.

But I actually think that when the new deity of the future starts to decay into religious fundamentalism, that the atheist of the future will be thinking, "At least the Christian god had some character that we can all appreciate", since it will no longer be threatening to anyone anywhere.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Numerous non believers have explained this to you in detail. How do these questions keep forming in your head?

I have a fondness for Santa Claus that is a remnant of my childhood. I have always loved Christmas, and I enjoy the whole Santa myth. It's cute. The story delights children, and I enjoy seeing children delighted. Who wouldn't love the story of a jolly old man that goes to so much trouble every year to make children happy? I doubt that I would have found the story of Santa so delightful if part of the story included Santa ordering the decapitation and evisceration of hundreds of children. Or drowning everything in sight.

The God of the Bible is not nearly so warm and fuzzy as Santa. The only thing that can possibly redeem Him is that He never existed as anything other than a myth to begin with.
You don't seem to understand that hose "myths" used to be actual "deities" that many people believed in at one time.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:05 AM

23,180 posts, read 26,328,614 times
Quote:
This is what I meant.

But I actually think that when the new deity of the future starts to decay into religious fundamentalism, that the atheist of the future will be thinking, "At least the Christian god had some character that we can all appreciate", since it will no longer be threatening to anyone anywhere.
What type of 'character' is that?

Old 09-29-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What type of 'character' is that?
I don't know, but it seems pretty inevitable. The negative things about him will completely be gone since they will no longer be threatening. They will have vanished and be forgotten. Maybe if those things were cleared away right now we could see it and answer your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism