Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 07:14 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,134,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Even if religion does work, can we conclude god exists? Perhaps religion works because they managed to teach everyone the same values and principles and these values and principles are being applied correctly across cultures and nations. This is not evidence of a god but rather evidence that when people understand one another's core values and believe them, they are likely to function as a community.
You are correct, and I plead sloppy language. I did say that a causal connection would be necessary, and in my mind I was thinking of a causal connection to god, which would be incredibly difficult, perhaps even impossible, to show.

As written my post does state that a causal connection to religion is all that was necessary. My error, thanks for catching that.

Last edited by fishbrains; 10-07-2018 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 11:16 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,953,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm sure I got paid when I was in the choir. But I don't doubt that, if they can get a choir working for free, they'll take it.
Are you saying that you have previously worked as a paid minister in a church at one point?

Old 10-07-2018, 12:33 PM

89,064 posts, read 85,670,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Are you saying that you have previously worked as a paid minister in a church at one point?

He said he was paid for being in a choir.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:40 PM

50,147 posts, read 20,940,505 times
Quote:
No, but I was a paid angelic treble with a heart as back as sin, and in a prime position to observe a paid felon who WAS a minister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

He said he was paid for being in a choir.
You have to knew how to dig deep into the layers of craftiness and misdirection, dear lady. Am I letting my free - range paranoia off the leash if I suspect that he is going to argue that, if I was NOT myself a paid minister, i have no business suggesting that anyone of the said would save the dosh if they could get a choir to operate for free? Feel free to post protestations of innocence, Ozzy old mate

Old 10-07-2018, 04:44 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,953,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
No, but I was a paid angelic treble with a heart as back as sin, and in a prime position to observe a paid felon who WAS a minister.

You have to knew how to dig deep into the layers of craftiness and misdirection, dear lady. Am I letting my free - range paranoia off the leash if I suspect that he is going to argue that, if I was NOT myself a paid minister, i have no business suggesting that anyone of the said would save the dosh if they could get a choir to operate for free? Feel free to post protestations of innocence, Ozzy old mate
Many churches call the music a ministry. It's just semantics.

No, I won't to pretend to be innocent anymore. I explain this in my new thread in the R/S forum.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:11 PM

50,147 posts, read 20,940,505 times
Quote:
Many churches call the music a ministry. It's just semantics.

No, I won't to pretend to be innocent anymore. I explain this in my new thread in the R/S forum.
Probably just as well I was getting a bit cheeky. Back to serious business.

After all, we answered the question. Yes, Gimli, though he was rather too Dwarvish in the way it translated ...dam' ..me mind is going - of course it was Theoden. (1) , conveyed the idea that, once Organised religion occupies the position that Astrology does now (A bit of fun in the daily gutter -press, a way of bilking the dupes of dosh that should go to pay for the latest electronic gadget, without which they will become outcasts at school, and futile study on which some cultists will spend their life) and nobody expects a president to assert his belief in the Stars ruling the fate of men as a prerequisite of getting elected or that he will call in an astrologer before taking decisions, then atheists will be happy to see Books about the god of the goatherders and the Jesus who was three in one - Greek, Jew and myth - share a shelf with Shiva, Odin and Viracocha.

(1) When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-07-2018 at 05:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism