Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 08:48 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

I am so not going to get involved in this thread. I suppose a little understanding of the other person's mindset (even if you don't agree) would be out of the question? And if you will forgive me a LoR quote

"We are all friends here, or should be, for the laughter of Modor will be your only reward if we quarrel". (Gandalf)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 11:45 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I am so not going to get involved in this thread. I suppose a little understanding of the other person's mindset (even if you don't agree) would be out of the question? And if you will forgive me a LoR quote
"We are all friends here, or should be, for the laughter of Modor will be your only reward if we quarrel". (Gandalf)
As you have often said, Arq, there is little that unites atheists other than a disbelief in God. It should not be surprising that you can so easily eat your own.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:38 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,901 times
so...the church has the power to ignore supposed scripture and change history??

hmm...makes me wonder what else they have changed

the bible is not the word of god
the bible is something many many men wrote, and many many more men with agendas translated and re translated and changed and adapted...claiming to be the word of god

Old 08-16-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As you have often said, Arq, there is little that unites atheists other than a disbelief in God. It should not be surprising that you can so easily eat your own.
Well, Mystic even Shirina and I had a bit of a disagreement regarding Von Dainiken and Ancient technology. It's not surprising that an atheist who does not notably fine-mince his words might run in with an atheist feminist.

But as you correctly say - and other theists might listen to you on this one - we atheists have only One thing in common: we do not buy into any god -claim. Other than that we are are are all individuals, independent minds, and free thinkers, just as it Orders us to be in the "Commands" chapter of the "Dognatic Instructions to God -Deniers" issued to to all card -carrying Darwinists, along with a baby -sized rotissary and an airbed for fornicating in the streets.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:08 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
so...the church has the power to ignore supposed scripture and change history??

hmm...makes me wonder what else they have changed

the bible is not the word of god
the bible is something many many men wrote, and many many more men with agendas translated and re translated and changed and adapted...claiming to be the word of god
Why wonder?

It's no secret what the Episcopal Church has changed from tradition.

In 1977 it ordained its first female priest, who happened to be a lesbian in a committed relationship. It has since conducted countless "blessings of the union" when SSM was not legal and then marriages when and where it was. And they've long understood the scriptures to not be the inerrant dictation of a patriarchal God but the writings of men.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:53 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Why wonder?

It's no secret what the Episcopal Church has changed from tradition.

In 1977 it ordained its first female priest, who happened to be a lesbian in a committed relationship. It has since conducted countless "blessings of the union" when SSM was not legal and then marriages when and where it was. And they've long understood the scriptures to not be the inerrant dictation of a patriarchal God but the writings of men.

And I, for one, think better of them for it!

I would rather someone risk being called a hypocrite and changing a belief based on a new understanding of things, rather than doubling down on doctrinal nastiness. A willingness to self evaluate and change is mark of maturity in a person, and welcome sight in a religion.

-NoCapo

Old 08-16-2018, 12:28 PM

I agree. The church (notably in the UK) has to decide whether to adapt to the changes in society - and adapt Fast - so as to give itself some relevancy in the modern world. It may be considered hypocritical or weak or bowing to worldly ways, and may even irritate the irreligious that want to see it gone. But I for one can do business with these people. They may even understand my reasons for not believing.

The Unbending, on the other hand, may attract a certain grudging admiration for their refusal to compromise, but it means they either stand or break. I mean as a religious organisation; individuals may very well modify of moderate their ideas and move to less doctrinaire groups of thinkers. These people are easier to deal with. They do not have any truck with the 'symbolic or Metaphorical Bible. It is Factual and no messing. But their weakness is...well, one of them...they have a lot....is that they cannot adapt to society. They have to either control it or defy it. It's win or lose. Just like the civil war.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:41 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
And I, for one, think better of them for it!

I would rather someone risk being called a hypocrite and changing a belief based on a new understanding of things, rather than doubling down on doctrinal nastiness. A willingness to self evaluate and change is mark of maturity in a person, and welcome sight in a religion.

-NoCapo
I agree. And what I think they are doing is refining their beliefs to discuss principles, rather than focusing on whether scriptural stories are fact.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:59 PM

1,183 posts, read 707,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Atheists are generally humanist.

As for eating one's own..... ho ho. The religionists are exemplars, no?

Old 08-16-2018, 01:01 PM

1,183 posts, read 707,659 times
The whole idea of a God having a sexual gender, unless that God sexually reproduces, is daft a priori. More reflective of limited imagination of man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism