Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 09:19 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sometimes you have to put the blame where it belongs.

Awwwwwwwww, poor religion. Poor powerful religion.

Religion is neutral? Ask the dead Incas if they believe that. Or the dead witches of Salem. Or gay men and women who are old or dead. Or dead slaves. Or men who suffered from the Inquisition. See if they agree with you that "religion is a victim".

But if we're not going to blame religion, then I'll put the blame on the religious...like YOU.
What's really ignorant is trying to blame religion for those things. You don't seem to have a clue.

The atheist community is no different than the fundamentalist religious community. Both are making outrageous propositions with no support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 09:44 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What's really ignorant is trying to blame religion for those things. You don't seem to have a clue.

The atheist community is no different than the fundamentalist religious community. Both are making outrageous propositions with no support.
You have a point in that this is stuff that men do. So far as i know the Mongol hordes were not driven by religion and they did a more stunning conquest than Islam did. But the fact is that religion can add an extra and rather frightening dimension to this stuff - instead of finding a pretext or rationale for doing it, you simply use religion as the pretext, and it justified atrocities that regard all rules of war and society as mere human thinking and what God wants is good even if humanity would call it bad if humans did it. Do you see where the problem is?

Do you see where the problem is with the Vatican in particular (and a few other Christian groups I could name) not in what was done - a Big Charity recently found the same thing in their ranks - but that an organised cover up was put in place and the laws or humanity were simply ignored. You may say that this whole middle eastern mess was just the political battle over control of oil. maybe. But I would argue that, but for religion, it could have need sorted decades ago.

This is not even to touch on the pernicious influence on society, the family, politics and - until recently and still..if they got their way - education and the armed forces. Yes, there is an influence in religion beyond the evil that men do, and it is a good bit badder.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:03 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sometimes you have to put the blame where it belongs.

Awwwwwwwww, poor religion. Poor powerful religion.

Religion is neutral? Ask the dead Incas if they believe that. Or the dead witches of Salem. Or gay men and women who are old or dead. Or dead slaves. Or men who suffered from the Inquisition. See if they agree with you that "religion is a victim".

But if we're not going to blame religion, then I'll put the blame on the religious...like YOU.
he's not religious. he just said he is agnostic. so he is one of YOU as in atheists and agnostics

Quote:
I've never pretended to know anything which is why I'm more of an Agnostic. If I have ever appeared disingenuous it was probably just my dry attempted humor. I'm not including you obviously, but there are some posters here who don't seem to have a sense of humor.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:26 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You have a point in that this is stuff that men do. So far as i know the Mongol hordes were not driven by religion and they did a more stunning conquest than Islam did. But the fact is that religion can add an extra and rather frightening dimension to this stuff - instead of finding a pretext or rationale for doing it, you simply use religion as the pretext, and it justified atrocities that regard all rules of war and society as mere human thinking and what God wants is good even if humanity would call it bad if humans did it. Do you see where the problem is?

Do you see where the problem is with the Vatican in particular (and a few other Christian groups I could name) not in what was done - a Big Charity recently found the same thing in their ranks - but that an organised cover up was put in place and the laws or humanity were simply ignored. You may say that this whole middle eastern mess was just the political battle over control of oil. maybe. But I would argue that, but for religion, it could have need sorted decades ago.

This is not even to touch on the pernicious influence on society, the family, politics and - until recently and still..if they got their way - education and the armed forces. Yes, there is an influence in religion beyond the evil that men do, and it is a good bit badder.
Thank you.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:35 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Thank you.
Cool.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:37 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:

Which of the situations I mentioned was religion not directly involved in?

Please be specific.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:38 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
he's not religious. he just said he is agnostic. so he is one of YOU as in atheists and agnostics
That may be what he says. It's not what his posts generally say.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:24 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
I guess I should lump you with all the evil people of your persuasion in the same way. Atheism could just as easily be demonstrated to be the cause of all the evils in the world the way religion has.

Both arguments are ridiculous, however.
People have been burnt at the stake for following the wrong atheism?

Old 08-10-2018, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
But they have NO bearing on the central issue of the EXISTENCE of God. Disproving the many ridiculous things people believe ABOUT God only discredits those beliefs.
Probability says otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It has no impact whatsoever on the question of God's existence and that is baselined by the existence of our Reality which you pretend is some other name because we don't know WHAT it is.
Question begging is a fallacy.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:28 AM

Quote:
It seems like so many atheists are wanting to blame religion, or religious people, for the things they have suffered.
No, I blame religion for what other people have suffered; and for what the religious are trying to do.

Quote:
Religion is just as much a victim as anyone. Religion is neutral. Religion and atheism are just reflections of human society.
Go to the middle east and say there is no God. Wear a hard hat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism